The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Glad it was done. It's a risk for making bank on a long term deal. But not many teams will rush to give him a long term deal with next to no resume. Yes he'll be 29ish at the end of this deal. GMs in the NHL love giving 30 year olds 7+ year deals, so he'll be fine as long as he keeps riding Petey's coat tails.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, this management group can sign players but they're not very good at getting rid of contracts.

We are like a museum. Collect all the art and never get rid of any. Expect we pay maximum cost for said art and it's just a macaroni plate that kinda resembles a smile:P

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, billabong said:

After a quick glance at cap friendly as it stands right now…

kuzmenko-pettersson-mikheyev

garland-Miller-boeser 

Pearson-lazar-podkolzin 

joshua-dries-studnicka

hughes-xxxx

OEL-Myers 

stillman-xxxx

demko

martin

roughly 10m in cap space 

notable RFA’s are bear and hoglander probably a combined 2.5-3m cap hit 

Personally, I’m really wondering if the Canucks will pull a Guerin like he did the Parise and suter and buyout the previous regime’s bad contracts with garland and OEL

Maybe, but only issue with a OEL buy out is us being stuck with a penalty like forever... 

If they can find a dance partner for Brock, I still see him being the victim, or one of them... We definitely need a change of winger for a better C/D-man, otherwise we are just staying pat... 

In saying that, staying pat may be the outcome for next season. After next season Pearson and Myers are gone, so there may be money available for the upgrades needed + re-upping Petey...

But if they want to push for play offs next season, they may need to do some buy outs... Just have my fears after the way we obtained OEL...

Edited by spook007

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

It's not my opinion, it's statistics. Look up how many players from each round make the NHL. Then look up how many players in each round play 100 NHL games. My logic is using facts and statistics over many years.... so I'm not sure what else to tell you? He's likely better than a 3rd rounder (no matter what # within that round) because A he's in the league and B he's played 100+ NHL games. Of course players from mid rounds make the NHL, but the number gets lower and lower the further in you go.

I'm not arguing your "chances of making nhl" statistics, what I'm questioning is value of the picks in trade. Recent Canuck examples:

- Bear was had for a 5th and 400k retained....he is better than Dermott 

- Hamonic was traded for a 3rd (alluded to as a big win..me included). Though a "interesting dude", he is a 2nd paring Dman all day

- Motte was traded for a 4th. Guy was the heart and soul of our 4th line, with talent to knock up to the 2nd if needed.

Once again, was Dermott worthy of that pick? I say no he wasn't

On the fence with this signing. This tells me the front office thinks this team can compete in this time line, unless they pull off multiple miracles this screams "Let's squeak into the playoffs in the next two years to make the boss some revenue."

I like Kuzmenko but he really should be flipped for the future.

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Hopefully the defence free agents available are strong… but would anyone want to come to this dumpster fire these days 

Right side D are looking weak. Best top end options are Severson and Dumba. There are some 5/6 guys with size that could be considered though.

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

my guess is a whack of canadian teams sprinkled in with bottom feeders and teams that are aging out and trending down.

My guess is those 12 teams that are at or near the cap so that Kuz can’t be traded. It virtually means that there’s no team that he can be traded to, and thus nullifies his LNTC. 

If I was his Agent. 

40 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So what is the plan for the canucks? 

If Bo all of a sudden says ok, I'll sign a 6.5 x 8.

What now? 

We need to miraculously shed cap by getting rid of Boeser, Myers at minimum to account for Miller Horvat and Kuz raises. 

So then we have a full cap team returning next year, all same players except now we are missing Boeser and Myers (while we probably needed to add assets) and possibly Schenn with no one  to replace them? 

How the heck do we get out of this (I can't even say mediocrity anymore) basement? 

They'll just sign some more wingers and eat the consequences jk I know they are too severe.

Just ship out Miller for starters.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I prefer keeping good players and not trading them away. I know, weird.

But, but pickzzz unless we’re talking top 5 pick and that ain’t happening.  And even if it was , would the unproven pick contribute to what kuz has shown this year and in russia. No brainer. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We are like a museum. Collect all the art and never get rid of any. Expect we pay maximum cost for said art and it's just a macaroni plate that kinda resembles a smile:P

Lines Waiting Room GIF

And yet the line is backed up more than after i indulge in cheese

We need to round out our top 9 with tanner jeannot. If Nashville remains in no man's land ( he's also a RFA this year ) and continues to not produce much... We much try to convince polie to give him up. Rick would LOVE him I'd bet... But would they give him up? 

People think they can do a better job managing the cap or making arm chair trades is laughable. Canucks managment gets paid 7 figures a year to make these decisions, it's crazy to think a fan on a forum can offer a more informed, a better negotiated executed trade than an elite front office team of hockey experts. It's comical to keep thinking this Canucks are doing what any other GM is doing on other teams lets stop bashing the managment for how they choose to make their valuations or trade decisions. No matter what you think you know they know a lot more.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

I'm not arguing your "chances of making nhl" statistics, what I'm questioning is value of the picks in trade. Recent Canuck examples:

- Bear was had for a 5th and 400k retained....he is better than Dermott 

- Hamonic was traded for a 3rd (alluded to as a big win..me included). Though a "interesting dude", he is a 2nd paring Dman all day

- Motte was traded for a 4th. Guy was the heart and soul of our 4th line, with talent to knock up to the 2nd if needed.

Once again, was Dermott worthy of that pick? I say no he wasn't

I get what you're saying, it really is all subjective.

The Bear example is not really apples to apples as literally missed a season and a half of hockey and his career trajectory was downward. His situation in Carolina was unique and all those things come into play....Bear was almost a reclamation project....hurts his value. If they traded Bear today he'd likely garner more, no?

Hamonic - I agree he's a second parting dman earlier in his career. I'm not sure any other team saw him worth a third so it's tough to say. Just because one team offered it that doesn't mean that's his value across the board., 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

After last night and the more elite teams in the NHL. I'd rather see a player like Dobson than Hughes. Skill can only do so much if you play against quick aggressive fowards with size and skill.

I'm all for moving on from hughes

• Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1