The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I agree he probably would. He's a total floater who only benefits from other guys efforts. Well we don't really even have the guys to do that and set him up for success...  So on a good teams that's the perfect roll for him. Plus it's a MASSIVE addition by subtraction for us. Win win 

well, I don't agree with any of that really. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

Actually if you look at much if our consensus takes on signings, draft picks etc.  We'd have universally done an equal or better job 

yea well... if our gm is polling the forum for moves to make... they are gonna be fired out the league....

so assuminh OP meant if you and you alone were to make decisions... youd be f'd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

But what's best case scenario in this contract. He dominates the next few years and gets 100 points with Petey the next 2 years when this team is projected to be bad? Prices himself out and earns a retirement deal we cant afford, and then we hope we can trade him at his contract end at the deadline for likely less then what we can get for him now.

Best case in trading him today is we draft a heck of a player who's entering contributing on the team on his ELC when we need value contract as this team starts getting good.

Love the player, I like the contract. I don't think it was the best play for this team right now.

Trading him now would have risks as well though. Signing a UFA and trading him right away after he pretty much accomplishes what you hoped he would could leave other agents and UFAs  with a sour taste. That’s at least worth considering in the decision to extend him.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Dhaliwal said North of 6 million as did a few other local media.

It depends on the term though.  

The longer the term then the higher the cap hit.  A max 8 year term you are looking at $7+ million, a 1 year deal probably around $5 million.  A 3-4 year deal in the $6-7 million range.

Two years is a really short bridge deal so the AAV is lower.  Even the agent said the player told him to just get it done, so it seems like they took less than what their ask was at the time of that last meeting to get him signed.

Hopefully the team basically used the trade deadline as leverage.  “You need to sign for this number by this week, or we have to look at what we can get for you in trade”.  It puts the pressure on the player to decide if he wants to stay with a bird in hand and comfortable surroundings or wants to be moved to who knows where and playing what minutes.

There was still significant risk from the Kuzmenko side that he goes to a contender for the rest of the season and a playoff run and is on a 3rd line not getting any PP time, and tanks his value as a UFA.  This way he knows he will keep getting opportunity for the next couple years as our team is terrible, and has a chance to earn an even bigger contract when money is available.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

The team would be lucky to lock Bo down for that. 

I hope so. 

Get rid of Miller first and foremost this year otherwise the team is stuck with that albatross. 

If Coach Toxic can convince Rocking (Chair) Rutherford that Miller's not worth it, it would solve a LOT of future problems.

But I'm starting to wonder if he isn't set on getting rid of Bo, like he was with Bruce, right from the "we might lose some favorite player(s)" speach at the start of his tenure.

He seems to like tearing the guts out and then trying to figure out what to do (e.g. Motter).

I like Miller; but Crikey!  He sure shit the bed this year; right after his new deal got signed; and there's what? 7 or 8 more years after the end of this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Dallas is one team who really wants and needs a 2RW. If they get priced out on other guys and just want to essentially swap out their dead cap for boeser I hope we are all over it. Khudobin +  so the money works. I also do not want to retain anything but I'll gladly take back expiring dead weight 

Haven’t looked at the Stars’ cap and window. 

I’ll be honest about that. 

Is Boeser an upgrade over Marchment? 

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Trading him now would have risks as well though. Signing a UFA and trading him right away after he pretty much accomplishes what you hoped he would could leave other agents and UFAs  with a sour taste. That’s at least worth considering in the decision to extend him.

I don't agree with that. The 27th ranked team maximizing an expiring contract would not be a bad look.

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

I sure hope so. Hopefully we can get a 2nd for Schenn. I also think a contender would have given us a late 1st for Kuzmenko, which I would have taken and ran.

Much as I have loved Schenn for a very long time (wanted to Draft Him), and he is the only heavyweight contender we have and hits like a 'tank', he is getting beat much more often now, and is losing that extra split-second that Tanev used to display so nonchalantly.

I think he is a 'moveable asset' to the right team but we may have to keep him until seasons' end because we don't have any more of his ilk.

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

HELL YES, THANK YOU!

KUZZY JERSEY IMMINENT!:towel:

Save the investment. 

Most of these players are not going to be Sweater Buying worthy. 

I have McLean’s, Bieksa’s and Linden’s sweater. About to grab Odjick’s. 

Really tempted to get Naslund and Petey’s. 

Buying a sweater is a commitment to the player that committed to me/the team. 

Just my opinion, for whatever it’s worth. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

If Coach Toxic can convince Rocking (Chair) Rutherford that Miller's not worth it, it would solve a LOT of future problems.

But I'm starting to wonder if he isn't set on getting rid of Bo, like he was with Bruce, right from the "we might lose some favorite player(s)" speach at the start of his tenure.

He seems to like tearing the guts out and then trying to figure out what to do (e.g. Motter).

I like Miller; but Crikey!  He sure shit the bed this year; right after his new deal got signed; and there's what? 7 or 8 more years after the end of this year.

I think that was more towards Brock at the beginning of the year but as the year progressed and Bo’s price kept going up so that has changed. 
‘The way I see it trading Bo signals a big rebuild and should necessitate the trade of Miller, Brock, Garland and anyone on D not named Hughes that they can trade without paying big. 
‘Without Bo this team has one NHL centre and none in the minors, not a path to success. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1