The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rangers’ Pride Night goes sideways and Chicago Blackhawks refuse to wear pride jerseys

Rate this topic

Slegr

4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

you could say the the same thing during the lead up to/during the civil rights movement.

you could say the same thing about the history of women’s rights.  

Often people ignorant regarding the fallibility of their beliefs use phrases like “forced” and “pushing it”.

The on-going legalization of gay marriage often reflects similar sentiment.

“Forcing beliefs” itself is a misnomer.  Educating people about the diversity of people within society predicated on fundamental normative concepts of equality and fairness isnt brainwashing.  These are carefully considered positions based on the values listed above.  These positions rationally stand on their own.

As such sports arnt distinct from being a part of society nor is it over bearing to celebrate one of the many aspects of our communities 1 day a year.

You cant force people... you cant... its impossible... stop expecting the impossible...

7 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

you could say the the same thing during the lead up to/during the civil rights movement.

you could say the same thing about the history of women’s rights.  

Often people ignorant regarding the fallibility of their beliefs use phrases like “forced” and “pushing it”.

The on-going legalization of gay marriage often reflects similar sentiment.

“Forcing beliefs” itself is a misnomer.  Educating people about the diversity of people within society predicated on fundamental normative concepts of equality and fairness isnt brainwashing.  These are carefully considered positions based on the values listed above.  These positions rationally stand on their own.

As such sports arnt distinct from being a part of society nor is it over bearing to celebrate one of the many aspects of our communities 1 day a year.

if you shame people, for not participating... is that part of the education?

3 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

You cant force people... you cant... its impossible... stop expecting the impossible...

I cant force rational agents to accept the reasonableness of a belief-that’s on them.

But I can certainly support legal rules and organizational policies that reflect such.  If people feel forced by that-boohoo.  All it does is illustrate their fallibility.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

if you shame people, for not participating... is that part of the education?

47 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

anyways... tempers are raised... im not even get started... i have stated enough of my arguments in this thread... no need for me to participate on a day like this..

I thought you had no need to participate on a day like this...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

WTF is going on in this thread?

Some backwards mofos in this place.

The players do not have a choice in what uniform they wear. The employer sets the rules. You don't like it, go play somewhere else. Should be in the code of conduct. 

I pointed this out before. The players skate around in Adidas uniforms.  Adidas is known for using sweat shops.

Since they wear those jerseys, does that mean all the players in the league support sweatshops? of course not. 

I know, its a what-aboutism but I don't care. 

If you want to have your backwards, sky fairy crap to believe...so be it, but don't bring your ignorance to your work place. Its not where you get to express your 'freedom'. It is where you sign a contract, and get paid to do as directed. It's not just hockey they play , they are also representatives of a pro game which is a business. On and off the ice.  Again, this is why most companies have a code of conduct that must be adhered to. 

Stupid f'ing people. So much fear and hate. It's weak and sad to see. 

nope.... wrong again...you have the right to express your freedom at any time...including during work...your employer may not like that, and if they deem it interferes with their duties they would have a right to terminate,,, if it was deemed that it was not interfering they would not have the right to force beliefs or ideals... and  that's the truth

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

37 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This is exactly it. I’m more disappointed with the NHL and certain NHL teams than the players not wanting to participate. The NHL should have held the line on it rather than caving to the unpopular few who are anti-gay disguised as freedom fighters or religious.

are you so sure about what's the popular opinion?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I thought you had no need to participate on a day like this...

that was until some sad people gave me the brown bag.... you see... shaming people doesn't achieve the intention you seek...

maybe you would understand that if you read any of my evidence i provided

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

that was until some sad people gave me the brown bag.... you see... shaming people doesn't achieve the intention you seek...

Chocolate Chip cookies come in brown bags. They are good, so brown bags must be good too! 

Sorry BBP, but bigotry and hatred shouldn’t be tolerated. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I cant force rational agents to accept the reasonableness of a belief-that’s on them.

But I can certainly support legal rules and organizational policies that reflect such.  If people feel forced by that-boohoo.  All it does is illustrate their fallibility.

i wish you would re-word this... the sentences don't really tie together...

you support rules and policies that.....reflect reasonableness of a belief?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chocolate Chip cookies come in brown bags. They are good, so brown bags must be good too! 

Sorry BBP, but bigotry and hatred shouldn’t be tolerated. 

sorry alf... expecting people to support ideologies without free will... is never gonna happen... we will have civil war before that happens... 

i do like cookies... though

Edited by Bad_BOI_pete
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

Wait, you mean like you did to me just for calling out someone on being a vocal bigot?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

just because i preach it does not make me immune... but yes... i think i spend the most time being civil in this thread

You're entitled to your opinion, but I reckon the majority would say you think wrong. It's just a bummer you couldn't keep your word and give it a rest tonight. 

You came into this thread guns blazing and defending bigots because you had no idea what was going on. Does that sound civil to you?

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1