The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

I’m sure it’s been said, but is Demko even holding a lot of value right now?  Goalies are always a soft market - let alone injured ones who struggled big time to start the year. 

A mediocre return vs how good we know he can be - not sure it’s the right call. 

I’d listen, though.  For sure.  But unless there’s serious concern about his health, or we’re flat-out rebuilding, I can’t see trading him making a lot of sense for less than an amazing return. 

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m sure it’s been said, but is Demko even holding a lot of value right now?  Goalies are always a soft market - let alone injured ones who struggled big time to start the year. 

A mediocre return vs how good we know he can be - not sure it’s the right call. 

I’d listen, though.  For sure.  But unless there’s serious concern about his health, or we’re flat-out rebuilding, I can’t see trading him making a lot of sense for less than an amazing return. 

Agree.....I think he'd have to come back and show good form in order for us to retain any value in a trade.  The good news is that there's probably no rush.  If a team rolled the dice this season with a high draft pick, great......but next year is more probable.

Besides, if they trade Demko, this is officially a rebuild and not a retool......which makes the Miller contract that much more absurd unless they can offload that without penalties too.

• Cheers 1

I have a feeling we're just going to trade Demko for a 2nd round pick. They never get the value they deserve or are worth to a team. Look at last year - Demko was a big (if not the main, alongside Miller) we went on any sort of run. He patched up this team's defensive holes so well. To me, an MVP goalie is well worth over what Bo got. It just fixes so many things on a bad team.

After his bad spell to start the season his value must be so low, I doubt we'd get much for him.

If Demmer really wants out, I think you trade him in the off-season, maybe around the draft, but this 12 months is not the time to get rid of him unless we're full-on tanking for the next 3-5 years in which case we're going to have to sign a UFA goalie to save some face. There's a fair few goalies out there, mostly older guys, who could play a few games and make us pretend to look competitive but actually tank away next year too.

16 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Anyone who has access to behind the scenes discussions with the Canucks (which very few fans on CDC have). But if you do have insider knowledge you'll be sure to understand the Demko situation looks bleak.

That really narrows it down.....Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree.....I think he'd have to come back and show good form in order for us to retain any value in a trade.  The good news is that there's probably no rush.  If a team rolled the dice this season with a high draft pick, great......but next year is more probable.

Besides, if they trade Demko, this is officially a rebuild and not a retool......which makes the Miller contract that much more absurd unless they can offload that without penalties too.

The only way this becomes a rebuild is if we trade Pettersson and/or maybe Hughes. 

Moving Horvat doesn't = rebuild. Moving Demko doesn't = rebuild. All depends on returns and subsequent moves.

If we move Pettersson however.... Buckle up, that's a rebuild.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think all of this Demko trade talk is due to JR saying Petey was the only untouchable. Media ran with that. 

True. Again, not sure why Rutherfraud needed to offer that up to the media at all. What is the point? Why give the media anything to add to the fire?

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I have a feeling we're just going to trade Demko for a 2nd round pick. They never get the value they deserve or are worth to a team. Look at last year - Demko was a big (if not the main, alongside Miller) we went on any sort of run. He patched up this team's defensive holes so well. To me, an MVP goalie is well worth over what Bo got. It just fixes so many things on a bad team.

After his bad spell to start the season his value must be so low, I doubt we'd get much for him.

If Demmer really wants out, I think you trade him in the off-season, maybe around the draft, but this 12 months is not the time to get rid of him unless we're full-on tanking for the next 3-5 years in which case we're going to have to sign a UFA goalie to save some face. There's a fair few goalies out there, mostly older guys, who could play a few games and make us pretend to look competitive but actually tank away next year too.

they better not

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

The only way this becomes a rebuild is if we trade Pettersson and/or maybe Hughes. 

Moving Horvat doesn't = rebuild. Moving Demko doesn't = rebuild. All depends on returns and subsequent moves.

If we move Pettersson however.... Buckle up, that's a rebuild.

Moving your top player is very significant, but moving your #1 goalie without another option to carry the team is a clear rebuild.  Demko has shown he can carry a team through the playoffs.  No other player on the team can do that.  

The thing about Demko (injuries aside), he's now at an age where we hoped the team would have been entering a peak cycle.  Since we're on a decline, Demko's age does not time well with what will likely be another 4+ years before we're competitive.  So there's no point in keeping him right now if we have a chance to get the return we'd like to see.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Moving your top player is very significant, but moving your #1 goalie without another option to carry the team is a clear rebuild.  Demko has shown he can carry a team through the playoffs.  No other player on the team can do that.  

The thing about Demko (injuries aside), he's now at an age where we hoped the team would have been entering a peak cycle.  Since we're on a decline, Demko's age does not time well with what will likely be another 4+ years before we're competitive.  So there's no point in keeping him right now if we have a chance to get the return we'd like to see.

No, it really isn't. You said yourself, no point in keeping him for a few years if we're not going to be competitive. We'll have a few years to find/acquire/develop etc another goalie to "carry a team" that better fits the timeline.

Make no mistake, this current iteration revolves around Pettersson and to a lesser degree, Hughes.

• Cheers 1