The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we can land one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson with our first pick, and then someone similar to Brent Burns/Brent Seabrook with our second 1st round pick, that would change our entire franchise.  Similar to when we drafted Linden and Bure...

Exactly... 

Changes are needed. We all know that, and if the draft really looks this good, now is definitely the time to pounce. 

In saying that, they may still flip the pick for D help... We'll see

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doxm said:

It's still not an ANCHOR contract lol. A change of scenery could do wonders for Beauvillier. Especially under the structure that Tocchet is gonna lay out. You've been here 20 years spewing all sorts of negatives. 

FIFY

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

And didn't address the d and didn't get any cap space for the tdl.

The season is over and next will be worse.   Lots of time to deal with that D. 
We could be leaving this draft with a future top line center and a top 2 dman, as well as Raty who could be an amazing 3C behind Petey and our #5 overall centerman. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Exactly... 

Changes are needed. We all know that, and if the draft really looks this good, now is definitely the time to pounce. 

I do think that is the plan.  I'm not sure how else we can get a top 4 RHD.  That Islanders pick might be the ticket to get the future partner for Hughes...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly!  And AB has an excellent playoff resume.  At the 2024 TDL he’s likely worth a second.  So that’s Bo for Raty, a first, and a second, and 8-9 mil (Bo’s contract) in cap space.  That’s a major win. 

I'm not saying it's a major win, but it sure could be worse. 

What I was trying to point out is that Stawns keeps saying the 4.1 mil contract is an anchor,

but it's only until the end of next season. 

And at least, let's give the guy a chance.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Exactly... 

Again, top 10 is great, after that it's a little above average.  Lou's no dummy, he knew where to draw the line

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, it's the top 5 driving that narrative.  After #5 it drops off significantly, but is still good.  By #10-11 it drops off more and after that it's above average, but nothing spectacular.  The buzz about the top 5 is creating the narrative.  Lou didn't pick #12 out of a hat, he knows the draft comes back to earth after that.

If this is how they see it as well, expect the pick to shifted for a D man. 

In saying this, when Benning picked (it is what it is) McCann later in the round folks were okish, but he has turned out ok eventually. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do think that is the plan.  I'm not sure how else we can get a top 4 RHD.  That Islanders pick might be the ticket to get the future partner for Hughes...

It's certainly possible and I'd be ok with that

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  And AB has an excellent playoff resume.  At the 2024 TDL he’s likely worth a second.  So that’s Bo for Raty, a first, and a second, and 8-9 mil (Bo’s contract) in cap space.  That’s a major win. 

Exactly.  We retain 50% on him, and he becomes a $2M middle 6 forward with speed and defensive awareness.  You're right, it's probably a 2nd round pick at that point.  This is worst case scenario.

Best case scenario, he finds his scoring touch again and becomes a consistent 20 goal winger.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Armed with a 1st round pick, who would we target?  It does open up a lot more options I would think.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No Alvin said Petey or Hughes 

Should be no captain.

Extend Petey in off-season while offering him captaincy. 

I would bet it looks like this next year if Petey wants it

Petey - C

Hughes - A

Miller - A

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’d rather have a team that knows how to restructure on the fly once the foundation is already set in stone. 

We just traded a cornerstone. 

That he wanted what we could not afford pay him based on one years performance that seriously out performed the rest of his career.

Wonder what sort of player he will be after signing his next contract ?

The same as the previous 8 years or this one anomalous year ?

He was an alright bloke, however alright blokes don't captain cup winning teams.  

Wish him the best but this was gonna happen anyway after signing Miller last year, which I was against, would have loved that rumoured NYR deal.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, top 10 is great, after that it's a little above average.  Lou's no dummy, he knew where to draw the line

But every draft there are players that shine later and some that never live up to their billing.So saying playings won't be as good later isn't correct.

• There it is 1