The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m not sure contending teams have 6 mil to take on Myers as a depth guy.  

Maybe a rebuilding team takes him on for nothing with the idea of selling him at the deadline for assets.  

If that’s the case, I think there’s an argument to be made that we might as well just hang on to him as well, to get a pick or two for him at the deadline.

Yup f we can do a full dumperoo of Myers summer 2023 to a team that expects to get a second for him at the 2024 TDL, then we have to take that trade.  Would be fantastic.  I expected we would need to carry Myers until the 2024 TDL.  Dumping sooner is better. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

He is. Do you think he's the best Canadian player on the team?

I think you’re raising an interesting point. Personally, I don’t care where guys are from, just so long as they help us win.  But there is something about have “Canadian Content”.  Is having guys like Bear, or Beau as our best Canadian players partly why we currently aren’t so good a club? Do we need higher end Canadian guys to support our elite guys?  Petey, Hughes, Demko are of course fabulous. 

I don’t know the stats, but are there teams that win Cups with their top Canadian players of the level of Bear and Beau? 

Too much thinking. I just want us to be good again, and really don’t care where the players are from.  

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's hard to say.  I think they will desperately miss Bo's scoring.

Yeah it is tough to say, scoring was never our issue. And Bo wasn't the driver on our team. Miller, Petey and Hughes are. Beauvillier is for sure an x-factor on whether our offense goes to poop or somewhat stays afloat. Also Tocchet is a major x-factor. Do we score less but maybe get lit less?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A bit of a nit pick here, but I'm pretty sure TL wasn't Captain any more by the time he was traded to the Isles....

Hey!

Always is. Always was. Always will be. 

I’ll never acknowledge Messier as Captain in ‘97-‘98. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah it is tough to say, scoring was never our issue. And Bo wasn't the driver on our team. Miller, Petey and Hughes are. Beauvillier is for sure an x-factor on whether our offense goes to poop or somewhat stays afloat. Also Tocchet is a major x-factor. Do we score less but maybe get lit less?

Idk, N7.  All I want is a top 5 pick in the draft:unsure:

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't JR say he expected the team to take a step backwards?

I thought i read that and am ok with it for 1 yr if we see the team chemistry change and new players added

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Didn't JR say he expected the team to take a step backwards?

I thought i read that and am ok with it for 1 yr if we see the team chemistry change and new players added

If we kept Bruce we could have taken two steps back. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Do we score less but maybe get lit less?

Even with an improved defensive game (playing with hard rules and structure) I still see us giving up loads of goals against with the D we are forced to ice (playing outside their weight class so to speak) and the cherry on top- Delia & Martin. With that pair, we should be in contention for a bottom 5 placement and a decent shot at the 1st overall pick!!!

Edited by KirkSave

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I can't see the Canucks being a better team without Bo.  The team will be down in scoring for sure.

Of the next 11 games, I just don't see them winning more than 3.

NJ, NY, NYI, Detroit x2, NY, Philly, Nash, St.L, Boston. 

Canucks versus the Islanders.

That's kind of a no win game for Canuck fans, isn't it?

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Actually we gained about 1.5m in cap space 

EP and JTM will be our Centers

they plan on putting AB in the top-6

that's assuming JTM is even capable of handling center and raty is able to make the team without stunting his growth.. so what's the backup plan if JT can't play center? keep playing him no matter what? they need to sign a 3c regardless neither JTM or Raty is ideal to play the matchup role. unless you plan on playing EP as the matchup center so not really we don't save anything. 

bo comes off the cap 1 way or another next season either traded or walked in the ufa and then we spent 4mil of that on AB so i don't see how we "gained" cap space

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Idk, N7.  All I want is a top 5 pick in the draft:unsure:

Hey man, I am right there with you. I just know from the last 10 years of disappointment. We never suck enough  to get those premium picks. Lol. So I was mentally preparing myself for the worst. Do I want this team to play out of the top five, no. Do I fully believe they will cause they hate my happiness, a little bit.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think you’re raising an interesting point. Personally, I don’t care where guys are from, just so long as they help us win.  But there is something about have “Canadian Content”.  Is having guys like Bear, or Beau as our best Canadian players partly why we currently aren’t so good a club? Do we need higher end Canadian guys to support our elite guys?  Petey, Hughes, Demko are of course fabulous. 

I don’t know the stats, but are there teams that win Cups with their top Canadian players of the level of Bear and Beau? 

Too much thinking. I just want us to be good again, and really don’t care where the players are from. 

You're reading way too much into what I said....all I asked is who people think is our best Canadian born player....

52 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's assuming JTM is even capable of handling center and raty is able to make the team without stunting his growth.. so what's the backup plan if JT can't play center? keep playing him no matter what? they need to sign a 3c regardless neither JTM or Raty is ideal to play the matchup role. unless you plan on playing EP as the matchup center so not really we don't save anything. 

bo comes off the cap 1 way or another next season either traded or walked in the ufa and then we spent 4mil of that on AB so i don't see how we "gained" cap space

It says C on Beavillier also so he might slot in on 3C.

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You're reading way too much into what I said....all I asked is who people think is our best Canadian born player....

That's a good question.  Without BO, we really don't have any good Canadians.  Even our top prospects are not Canadian.  I would say Luke Schenn is our best Canadian.  He might only be around another 2 weeks though...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a good question.  Without BO, we really don't have any good Canadians.  Even our top prospects are not Canadian.  I would say Luke Schenn is our best Canadian.  He might only be around another 2 weeks though...

5 months we could have the best Canadian in the draft. 

• There it is 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Didn't Miller play centre most of last year?  I think he will be our 2C until we draft Bedard.  Also, Beauviller can play centre, so he could be our 3C...

• Cheers 1