The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

I've read an awful lot of scouting reports about Raty, but have never seen any that say he's a potential

bust or that his skating is below average.  Just that his long stride is less efficient at top speed.

Some have mentioned that his points should be higher in the AHL, even though his former team

is awful.  Regardless, he is putting points up that are similar to Podz, who is 1y and 5mo older and

better than Hogs (yes, I know that they have had success in the NHL, but it goes to show

that playing in the AHL isn't a cakewalk).

Rockport is a team that has very few young prospects with NHL potential, playing on a team that only

has a handful of players that have a positive +/-  ( Raty being one of them (+3).  Somehow I doubt

their developmental program is anywhere near as comprehensive as the AHL Canucks'.

A play-making C with lots of skill would be a great addition to the Canucks.  We need to

be patient with this kid and see how his development goes in Abby.  After all, he just turned

20yrs about 3 months ago.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Nice, finally gets his first point, 1 assist in 4 games looks pretty bad but I think Raty's going to be a real slow-burner. I really hope we sign a UFA center next year to play in our 3rd line so Raty can just stay in the AHL as long as possible, we really need to let him simmer down there, his game is so far from NHL-ready but he's oozing potential. Some players with top-end skill can just rush into the NHL but a big playmaking center like Raty really needs to learn every aspect of the game well before busting into the NHL.

Sadly I doubt we'll do that and I worry we'll push him up into the team next year. Obviously it depends on training camp but I really hope we don't depend on Raty in the NHL next year, let him play a full season on a winning Abbortsford team.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it’s great the way the organization is handling Räty’s development. Few would have batted an eye in past years if the team put a “shiny new toy” like Räty straight into the NHL on Vancouver’s third line, or installed him on Abby’s first line, flanked by Höglander and Podkolzin/Karlsson. But instead, they started him on the AHL team’s 3rd line, and then only moved him to the 2nd line when Åman was called up and there was a roster need. Clearly they’re taking their time with him, and more focused on development and steady improvement, with a long term focus. He hasn’t had a lot of practice time yet, but you get the sense that they’re planning to put in a lot of time with his, outside of the games, working with the coaches and development staff (particularly skating coach MacKenzie Braid, as well as the Sedins, skills coach Yogi Svejkovsky, and several others on staff).

This is absolutely the best approach. I don’t think Räty has received quite this much direct, individualized coaching previously in North America. If he’s handled correctly, he could make some significant gains over the remainder of the season, and the off-season. This may not show up immediately on the scoresheet and timesheet, but could result in a very different player by next season. B the work they put in right now could prove to be highly beneficial over the long term, giving them the best chance at developing Räty into a bonafide NHL player, eventually earning a regular lineup spot in Vancouver, and playing and producing at a level approaching his ceiling.

(I like your idea of scheduling a few AHL games at Rogers Arena. I think there are quite a few Vancouver fans who’d love to watch an AHL game, but aren’t willing to make the trek all the way out to the Abbotsford Centre.

I know a lot of folks living downtown right now who consider crossing one bridge to be a pretty exhausting journey into the hinterlands and two bridges to be an unthinkable distance to travel. :lol:

I also think it would be fun for the farm players to get a few games every year on the NHL team’s ice and playing in front of 3X the crowd.)

Was Raty playing with the Islanders when the trade was made? I think he was, no? He’s already an NHL player, but developing in the AHL is better for him. Then he can get his offensive game going, while still being excellent defensively.  Nice to see him and other young guys down there playing the right way and gaining confidence in the play with the puck too. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was Raty playing with the Islanders when the trade was made? I think he was, no? He’s already an NHL player, but developing in the AHL is better for him. Then he can get his offensive game going, while still being excellent defensively.  Nice to see him and other young guys down there playing the right way and gaining confidence in the play with the puck too. 

He was reassigned (January 29th) to the Islanders’ AHL team in Bridgeport the day before the trade happened (January 30th).