The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, and that's great. He still showed a lack of commitment to training/actually hacking it in the NHL, and ran home to Russia instead of prioritizing his hockey career. You don't get to, or stay in the NHL, by dipping your toes in part way. That's not the kind of players we need.

Has he matured? Possibly? But anyone's concern about his commitment is perfectly valid, given his actions.

Ps.

matured ?

we’re taking a 21 year old to a brand new country and lifestyle,   ..  this was 8 years ago.

Let’s not forget he was back here waiting to be signed 3 years ago as an RFA . unfortunately JB has no cap space to offer him anything.

So he left not wanting to lose a position and miss a contract back in The KHL 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I just hope he gets the opportunity to prove himself here in a better climate than what it was.

If he signs somewhere else,  I’ll still be a fan of this player,  and may have to stomach the fact he might Crush Petersson..

just remember this,.  I told you so.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A big defenseman is so predominant on successful playoff teams. I think we need one especially if he wants to sign here. Seattle TB NJ all have big defenseman that are helping them in the playoffs. We need one. Hronek is good but not the crease clearer we need. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think Mcann was even shafted by Willie.

Don't know about that. IIRC, McCann had an attitude of entitlement that rubbed everybody the wrong way. Vancouver moved him to Florida where he put up 18 goals in parts of three seasons before he was traded to Pittsburgh, where he put up 36 goals in two and a half seasons. He was then left unprotected and Seattle scooped him up. He has become a star NHL player in Seattle, but it took until his 7th and 8th seasons before he became what he is now. Willie didn't shaft him, he simply wasn't ready and that's on the Canucks for an immature 19 year-old kid making the team when he should have been left in junior or in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, hammertime said:

Do we really even want this guy? 

He didn't want to work for it. He wanted everything given to him on a platter. He refused a conditioning stint and was visibly out of shape. He went back to Russia where he could get by on his size alone and not have to work hard. 

Why are people obsessed with this guy. He's a #4 D in the K. 

well said. im right with you there.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Myers is overpaid, but Myers is a way better player than Tryamkin and Tryamkin is not a replacement for Myers. I also would prefer if we were able to trade Myers, if we are able to get a real replacement for him, no where did I say I wanted to re-sign him. Though Myers at 4mil is a serviceable defenseman, and on most teams Top 4. 

Tryamkin would be a replacement for our 7th D, he is not better than OEL, Myers, Hughes, Bear, Schenn(if we resign him), and is likely going to be asking for too much money to be a 7th dman.

Myers and Tryamkin are only similar based on height.  Myers is a tall offensive D without the opportunity here for obvious reasons.  He also has defensive gafs because that is not his true game.

Tryamkin is a shutdown guy with the size to truly punish players in our zone.  Much more of an Oleksiak than a Myers type player.

We need exactly what he brings and I think we give him a proper shot this time.  Canucks management/approach at the time are more to blame than Tree himself.  That era was one of the worst for player development.

On a separate note (Not related to your comment at all) I’m sure there are North American players that don’t integrate into KHL teams well and in those cases who do we blame?  No player will succeed if they don’t have the support they need to be successful.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Myers and Tryamkin are only similar based on height.  Myers is a tall offensive D without the opportunity here for obviously reasons.  He also has defensive gafs because that is not his true game.

Tryamkin is a shutdown guy with the size to truly punish players in our zone.  Much more of an Oleksiak than a Myers type player.

We need exactly what he brings and I think we give him a proper shot this time.  Canucks management/approach at the time are more to blame than Tree himself.  That era was one of the worst for player development.

On a separate note (Not related to your comment at all) I’m sure there are North American players that don’t integrate into KHL teams well and in those cases who do we blame?  No player will succeed if they don’t have the support they need to be successful.

I understand that Tryamkin and Myers play a different game, but I still think Myers is the better defenseman in all 3 zones. Tryamkin is big, he's got okay mobility(or at least did), but he also has played in a way lesser league for the last 8 years in his prime. I think he'll get danced in the NHL where the game is much faster, and the players think the game faster.

We definitely need a good defensive defenseman to play in the Top 4, that is not Tryamkin though. And I don't give Tryamkin a pass at all for what happened when he was here as a rookie, he down right refused to go down to the AHL to develop. He basically told the team play me in the NHL or I will go back home, he could have definitely used a few seasons in the AHL to learn the North American game and get used to living in North America. He was not some huge star before he came over that he didn't need more development.

As for your last note, I am 100% sure there are players that go over to the KHL and don't fit it. It's a different game, and nobody is to blame at all. I don't blame Tryamkin for not being good enough when he came over, but I do blame him for not allowing the proper development to happen. He didn't want to get paid less playing in the AHL while he could make significantly more in the KHL, and I can't blame him for that. He didn't grow up wishing to play in the NHL like kids in North America do.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure, and that's great. He still showed a lack of commitment to training/actually hacking it in the NHL, and ran home to Russia instead of prioritizing his hockey career. You don't get to, or stay in the NHL, by dipping your toes in part way. That's not the kind of players we need.

Has he matured? Possibly? But anyone's concern about his commitment is perfectly valid, given his actions.

The concern is valid and needs to be discussed for sure.  Maybe if Willie D actually talked to him there would have been an agreement years ago.

We have this giant assumption that he refused to put in the effort when he was here but what is that based on.  Were the expectations even clear to him at the time?  Hard to know if the coach never talked to him.

I think it’s confirmed that he refused the AHL but his contract dictated that.  How many of us in our jobs would move to a new country, for a fraction of the pay, worse coaching/facilities, less quality of life if we didn’t have to.  Very few.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

I understand that Tryamkin and Myers play a different game, but I still think Myers is the better defenseman in all 3 zones. Tryamkin is big, he's got okay mobility(or at least did), but he also has played in a way lesser league for the last 8 years in his prime. I think he'll get danced in the NHL where the game is much faster, and the players think the game faster.

We definitely need a good defensive defenseman to play in the Top 4, that is not Tryamkin though. And I don't give Tryamkin a pass at all for what happened when he was here as a rookie, he down right refused to go down to the AHL to develop. He basically told the team play me in the NHL or I will go back home, he could have definitely used a few seasons in the AHL to learn the North American game and get used to living in North America. He was not some huge star before he came over that he didn't need more development.

As for your last note, I am 100% sure there are players that go over to the KHL and don't fit it. It's a different game, and nobody is to blame at all. I don't blame Tryamkin for not being good enough when he came over, but I do blame him for not allowing the proper development to happen. He didn't want to get paid less playing in the AHL while he could make significantly more in the KHL, and I can't blame him for that. He didn't grow up wishing to play in the NHL like kids in North America do.

Agreed than Myers has historically been the better D and has been paid for it.  Tree is not getting that type of money and won’t.  Different players and different values so not a good compatible at all.  Zadorov/Oleksiak are good compatibles and we would get a big discount vs their contracts even.

Knowing the Canucks management he had, I still put more blame on them than Tree but honestly we have no idea.  If the Canucks said, we want you and will support you in the NHL and then didn’t do it then I wouldn’t blame Tree for refusing the AHL.  I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure.

I think he would bring an element we don’t have to our team that could play up and down the lineup for a reasonable contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed than Myers has historically been the better D and has been paid for it.  Tree is not getting that type of money and won’t.  Different players and different values so not a good compatible at all.  Zadorov/Oleksiak are good compatibles and we would get a big discount vs their contracts even.

Knowing the Canucks management he had, I still put more blame on them than Tree but honestly we have no idea.  If the Canucks said, we want you and will support you in the NHL and then didn’t do it then I wouldn’t blame Tree for refusing the AHL.  I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure.

I think he would bring an element we don’t have to our team that could play up and down the lineup for a reasonable contract.

Yes we would get a big discount to Zadorov and Oleksiak, since they are much better players. Zadorov has been over in North America since junior and has developed properly. Oleksiak has also developed properly.

Tryamkin has been in the KHL, a league that is roughly the same level as the AHL and is 28 years old. How excited would you be having a defenseman who has been in the AHL until 28 and stepping in? I don't think any of us would be expecting him to be playing up and down the line-up, we would expect him to be a fringe NHLer. Which is where I think Tryamkin will be, if an NHL team even signs him. At this point in his career he will make more money in the KHL per year, and get more playing time.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yes we would get a big discount to Zadorov and Oleksiak, since they are much better players. Zadorov has been over in North America since junior and has developed properly. Oleksiak has also developed properly.

Tryamkin has been in the KHL, a league that is roughly the same level as the AHL and is 28 years old. How excited would you be having a defenseman who has been in the AHL until 28 and stepping in? I don't think any of us would be expecting him to be playing up and down the line-up, we would expect him to be a fringe NHLer. Which is where I think Tryamkin will be, if an NHL team even signs him. At this point in his career he will make more money in the KHL per year, and get more playing time.

Kuzmenko did pretty well in that situation but I agree there is risk.  To me it’s low risk (vs contract) because of our specific D needs to compliment a lot of puck movers in Hughes, Hronek, OEL. Bear, Hirose etc.  It’s also much easier to fit a defensive D into an NHL system vs an offensive forward.  Smaller NHL ice surfaces also play to his advantage in a big way.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't care one way or the other if we "get" him back, and I have some concerns about his level of commitment if we do, given how he left last time. But IIRC, he's almost exclusively played RHD, despite being a lefty for pretty much his entire career. It's not something "fans made up".

I honestly can't remember which side he played when he was here. But I know pretty much every management/coaching group we've had did not like playing players on their off side. Virtanen never got put on his off side much if at all despite playing it "exclusively" in Junior. We didn't do it with OEL and Hughes despite that being a big offseason talking point. Tryamkin is a 3rd pair guy, even if we did the thing we never do. He's not a top 4 RD solution. I'd argue he's not even a 3rd pair LD solution. But hey, maybe I am wrong.

• There it is 1

Kuz did great, 100% agree with you there. He far exceeded my and I am sure everyone's expectations.

I feel that is different though, I feel it is easier to step in to an offensive roll in the NHL and be successful, and if you aren't then it's easier to put you on a lower line and give you very few minutes. When it comes to d-men, it's way harder to bury you and give you 8 minutes a night if you can't hack it, and if he gets signed at 1.5m+, then that's a waste of 600k for a player who doesn't play.

I honestly think we have the players in our system, who are younger, already better or equivalent to Tryamkin and have room to grow. I would rather give them the opportunity than sign a 28 year old project.

19 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Dont really want to build team russia here either 

Unless we can recreate the fab five from those great Detroit teams: Federov, Larionov, Koslov, Konstantinov, and Fetisov. :towel:

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't care one way or the other if we "get" him back, and I have some concerns about his level of commitment if we do, given how he left last time. But IIRC, he's almost exclusively played RHD, despite being a lefty for pretty much his entire career. It's not something "fans made up".

He may have mainly played RHD in the past, but Tocchet doesn't play left shooters on the right side on a regular basis (or vice versa) .  The same was true for Boudreau, and I'm pretty sure also with Green (with a few, short-term exceptions for all of them).  Willie D was probably our last coach who didn't have a policy against this.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I just hope he gets the opportunity to prove himself here in a better climate than what it was.

If he signs somewhere else,  I’ll still be a fan of this player,  and may have to stomach the fact he might Crush Petersson..

just remember this,.  I told you so.

worried-kermit.gif

• Haha 1