The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

6 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

you already have team USA here. Without any canadian face who can lead the franchise. 

Yea way too many americans on this team.  

The team needs a mix of canadians,  swedes, fins, a few russians.  

Anytime weve had a glut of americans on ths team we have stunk.

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He may have mainly played RHD in the past, but Tocchet doesn't play left shooters on the right side on a regular basis (or vice versa) .  The same was true for Boudreau, and I'm pretty sure also with Green (with a few, short-term exceptions for all of them).  Willie D was probably our last coach who didn't have a policy against this.

Not a big fan of trying to prevent clearing on the back hand and then pivoting for a shot or pass. Some d-men can do this very well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He may have mainly played RHD in the past, but Tocchet doesn't play left shooters on the right side on a regular basis (or vice versa) .  The same was true for Boudreau, and I'm pretty sure also with Green (with a few, short-term exceptions for all of them).  Willie D was probably our last coach who didn't have a policy against this.

Difference being, most of those players have largely played on their "strong" side . Tryamkin has not. He's a right D (who happens to be a lefty).

But again, I could really care less which way this goes. If he signs here, we'll see how he does and if he can be part of the solution (likely in a depth role). If he doesn't...:bored:

Far too much bandwidth being used up on the topic regardless.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Difference being, most of those players have largely played on their "strong" side . Tryamkin has not. He's a right D (who happens to be a lefty).

But again, I could really care less which way this goes. If he signs here, we'll see how he does and if he can be part of the solution (likely in a depth role). If he doesn't...:bored:

Far too much bandwidth being used up on the topic regardless.

Well we'll just have to settle this disagreement by seeing which side he plays when he gets here then!:bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You want to build a team based on where they were born?  We are probably better off focusing on who they are as a player/person.

Yes and its no secret that a team led by canadians, swedes and fins are the best teams year after year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Yes and its no secret that a team led by canadians, swedes and fins are the best teams year after year. 

It's weird then that Matthew Tkachuk leads the playoffs in points and Joe Pavelski was a major inspirational leader with 4 goals last night at the age of 38 after coming back from a devastating injury.  When Tampa won their recent cups it was Kucherov and Vasilevskiy leading the way.  It's almost like where someone is born doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You want to build a team based on where they were born?  We are probably better off focusing on who they are as a player/person.

Sounds very nice. Sign Try and there will be 5 Russians on the team and another 5 prospects. With the war in Ukraine Canuck management has to be concerned about these players being forced back to Russia. Concern can also be raised about our American players. The concern is different and likely not as concerning but if you ask Calgary fans they might have a different opinion. Why did Tkachuk and Gudreau really want to go back to the USA? Taxes? If it is taxes then that concern might apply to all of the roster. 

Having these concerns is being aware and weighing risks.  

2 hours ago, TopChed said:

Ya he won't be back. 

Looks pretty fit to me.  Commitment to fitness concerns seem a little overblown.  Pretty sure completing the grouse grind as a 5'10 175lb prospect vs a 6'8 265lb prospect is a little bit different.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Looks pretty fit to me.  Commitment to fitness concerns seem a little overblown.  Pretty sure completing the grouse grind as a 5'10 175lb prospect vs a 6'8 265lb prospect is a little bit different.

Exactly. Most talk around this team these days is weighed down with a dose of hyperbole. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sounds very nice. Sign Try and there will be 5 Russians on the team and another 5 prospects. With the war in Ukraine Canuck management has to be concerned about these players being forced back to Russia. Concern can also be raised about our American players. The concern is different and likely not as concerning but if you ask Calgary fans they might have a different opinion. Why did Tkachuk and Gudreau really want to go back to the USA? Taxes? If it is taxes then that concern might apply to all of the roster. 

Having these concerns is being aware and weighing risks.  

Without a doubt, the team needs to weigh the concerns of that to ensure that there is not a situation of the Russian players being forced back (Would think that is highly unlikely).  They also need to ensure that the players coming over are not in support of the war with Ukraine, but I would have to imagine any player leaving Russia would not be in most cases.

Political aspects need to be considered as part of the team evaluation from a risk perspective, but you can't blanket the players because of what country they are from blindly.    

30 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Without a doubt, the team needs to weigh the concerns of that to ensure that there is not a situation of the Russian players being forced back (Would think that is highly unlikely).  They also need to ensure that the players coming over are not in support of the war with Ukraine, but I would have to imagine any player leaving Russia would not be in most cases.

Political aspects need to be considered as part of the team evaluation from a risk perspective, but you can't blanket the players because of what country they are from blindly.    

We could easily think of many scenarios that would cause some concern for whatever reason. Most of those concerns would never manifest. In the case of the Russian players how do you sit a young 20 year old down and discuss the politics of Russia in a serious way? Not saying those conversations should not happen. Bottom line is that a political situation might occur that will force them home and that would really hurt the Canucks. 

Do the Detroit Red Wings not draft Canadian hockey players because they might not take vaccines? It can get to far out there. As a Canuck fan I have always been upset by the lack of Western Canadian players on the team or as prospects. Two of the greatest Canucks, Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden were Canadian boys from the West. Would Western Canadian players want to stay in Vancouver more than others would?   

As I said Calgary has concerns, likely the Jets will and we know many players refused to go to Edmonton. IMO the bottom line is the quality of coaching and management and team mates. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He's comfortable at rd. I don't think they're going to look at him for offense that's Hughes job. It's his board work and shot suppression that will help. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

We could easily think of many scenarios that would cause some concern for whatever reason. Most of those concerns would never manifest. In the case of the Russian players how do you sit a young 20 year old down and discuss the politics of Russia in a serious way? Not saying those conversations should not happen. Bottom line is that a political situation might occur that will force them home and that would really hurt the Canucks. 

Do the Detroit Red Wings not draft Canadian hockey players because they might not take vaccines? It can get to far out there. As a Canuck fan I have always been upset by the lack of Western Canadian players on the team or as prospects. Two of the greatest Canucks, Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden were Canadian boys from the West. Would Western Canadian players want to stay in Vancouver more than others would?   

There are so many scenarios which is why you need to focus on the individual, and not where they are from.  If we look at Western Canadian boys we could look at Benn, Kane and Lucic who have never shown a strong desire to play in Van and situations like Virtanen, where his local support network works against him based on his maturity. 

Overall, we should bring in the best players for our team, that want to be here, and create a support network to make them successful regardless of where they are from.  With Tryamkin specifically, I think he fit our needs and still does, and from everything I could tell and appeared to be a great team-mate (Standing up for team-mates, supporting leaders like Edler).  He had some limitations because of language limitations, but I think the Canucks org at the time didn't support the situation well.  Still seems like a low risk way of meeting a specific need within our team with the proper support network in place.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If CDC had it's way Tryamkin would already be in the RoH. Never have I ever seen someone get overrated this much in my life. Has anyone mentioned that Dhaliwal said the Canucks have shown no interest in Tryamkin? That was in late March. Can't see much having changed in that time.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1