The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Do they want JT Miller?  He’s already signed. Islanders might have a hard time catching up if Pens acquired Miller. 

I don’t want much besides their 1st and best prospect. 

Hextall is looking to bolster the bottom six, no chance he goes all in on Miller. They also have only $18,430 in cap space. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Jokes on you. Both of you are wrong. Ottawa is gonna go 30-2-0 when they unleash the Hamburglar and go on a nutty late season run again. I have declared it.

With Ryan Reynolds changing the jerseys to a deadpool logo.  Ottawa DeadPuckers.  Someone please photoshop this :)

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Do they want JT Miller?  He’s already signed. Islanders might have a hard time catching up if Pens acquired Miller. 

I don’t want much besides their 1st and best prospect. 

They could afford Miller after this year.  Just have to make the numbers work for this year.  We could take Kapanen back, or maybe Dumoulin and we give them Schenn.  Not sure how long Rutta is out, so they may want Schenn.  That makes the cap work.  And then their 2023 1st round pick and Samuel Poulin or Owen Pickering.  Would help the tank for sure.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Good for him...I'm honestly happy for him. Gotta be weird joining a new team and this is great.

Big difference from being boo'd and having his jersey thrown on the ice. We didn't deserve him, the Islanders at least appreciate him.

Glad to see, he's really thriving there so far, I think he was over 60% in the faceoff dot again. Looks good playing with Barzal.

Say what you want about the trade price and massive contract, the Islanders look good now and that's 1 GAA in their 2 games with Bo.

Honestly if our management could construct a team as well balanced as theirs right now I'd be happy to pay stupid contracts like Bo's and Barzal's. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I’ve said this before. Miller is a perfect A. He is definitely a leader on this team but not a Captain and he knows it. There needs to be a bit more diplomacy in that rank. 

I don’t think we have a real cut and dry Captain on this team. Regardless, if Petey gets the “C” next season, Miller will respect that. I just hope Petey can elevate into a strong leader both on and off the ice. 

Side note. Petey was recently asked what he valued more. Olympic gold or Stanley Cup. He said Olympics. That can be good or bad for us. Good in terms that he won’t likely jettison to another contending team and bad that his heart may not be all in for the Cup (heard it on 650 when he was in Florida for the all star game).

I’m not talking about A or C. 
Miller has to accept he is not the no. 1 guy on the team and work to elevate the no. 1 player.

Regarding olympics, kids growing up outside of NA is influenced by the hype surrounding the games so it’s not a strange view. I believe it’s the consensus outside NA.

Foppa Forsbergs goal against Hirsch in the Olympics was so big it became a post stamp.

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see Pete ever being an 'alpha male', but he certainly will be the best player on the team for (hopefully)

a long time.

For the teams sake they should treat him as.

A lot if advantages if so. Everyone will the focus on giving everything they got to win.

If Tocchet can teach Miller how to behave it moght work.

16 hours ago, mll said:

Larkin is from Michigan and reports are that he wants to continue to play in his home state.  

The latest by Emily Kaplan:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35600120/latest-dylan-larkin-david-pastrnak-more-nhl-buzz

As the captain of the Red Wings, Larkin doesn't want his situation to go public. He hates being a distraction to the team. He has handled the situation as well as he can, but it has to be frustrating. Because in talking to people close to Larkin, nobody really knows where this is going.

So without going into numbers, here's what I can tell you about the dynamics going on behind the scenes:

Big picture, Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman has a price in mind for what he's willing to pay for Larkin, and it's not in line with what some other No. 1 centers around the league are making. Yzerman is sticking to that number. Larkin's camp is arguing: What does it cost to replace Larkin? They feel strongly about his worth, and it's more than Yzerman has been willing to budge. So we're between a rock and a hard place.

The one thing I've heard consistently about Yzerman as a general manager is that he works slow. He grinds things out. He and Larkin's camp haven't talked in a few days. In that time, the Islanders offered Horvat the $8.5 million AAV. So when Larkin's reps and Yzerman reconnect -- likely sometime this week -- they'll see if that comp helps their case.

Ideally Yzerman wants to get this deal done before the March 3 deadline so he can plan other moves -- and also ensure his 26-year-old captain doesn't walk away this summer for nothing. Larkin has full control here with a no-trade clause in his deal. As of now, Larkin doesn't have an appetite for moving, either at the deadline or this summer. He's a hometown kid who has played his entire life in the state of Michigan. He takes pride in leading Detroit. But it's becoming apparent other teams might be willing to give him more money on the open market. And if there isn't progress, his agent can talk to other teams and broker a deal to where Larkin wants to go. But they are hopeful it doesn't get to that. Based on how things are going, there's a very good chance this doesn't get resolved until the summer.

Larkin may not want to go, it's the same thing as Bo who said he thought he'd be a Canuck for life. 

You know what changes that? MONEY. 

Larkin's going to go wherever and whichever team and NHL organization is willing to give him what he wants. This has nothing to do with loyalty to a state. 

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

No points for Bo last night,  JT got another :P

Well, he got his 1st as an Islander tonight I think, and his 32nd goal of the season. I think he hits 40 goals this season. Unreal. 

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big difference from being boo'd and having his jersey thrown on the ice. We didn't deserve him, the Islanders at least appreciate him.

Glad to see, he's really thriving there so far, I think he was over 60% in the faceoff dot again. Looks good playing with Barzal.

Say what you want about the trade price and massive contract, the Islanders look good now and that's 1 GAA in their 2 games with Bo.

Honestly if our management could construct a team as well balanced as theirs right now I'd be happy to pay stupid contracts like Bo's and Barzal's. 

The NYI defence was never an issue.  They were one of the stingiest teams in the league before Bo even got there.  I'm sure starting with possession more often helps too, but Bo was brought in for offence.

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hextall is looking to bolster the bottom six, no chance he goes all in on Miller. They also have only $18,430 in cap space. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They could afford Miller after this year.  Just have to make the numbers work for this year.  We could take Kapanen back, or maybe Dumoulin and we give them Schenn.  Not sure how long Rutta is out, so they may want Schenn.  That makes the cap work.  And then their 2023 1st round pick and Samuel Poulin or Owen Pickering.  Would help the tank for sure.  

Kapanen coming back and us retaining $1.025m this year balances their cap hits. It also would bump one of Rakell/Zucker/Rust to the bottom 6, bolstering it as requested @canuck73_3;) 

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I have been looking for confirmation on that. Would you happen to have a source? or link to an example where that was done?

It's never happened but common sense says it can. The players current contract runs out at years end. The other contract hasn't even started yet.

I could see them saying you can't retain one deal until it starts but it would be highly unlikely for it to be a problem to retain on their current deal.

Puckapedia took a stab at it too.

Screenshot_20230208_112008_Chrome.jpg

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kapanen would be a nice add to the top 9. Fits in to what we want. Fast with forechecking ability. Good complementary forward. Decent age(turns 27 in the summer). 

The cap space would be good too in order to weaponize it next year. 16.5M not tied up long turn. By time we are ready to contend we can use that space to solve problems. 

Kapanen + one of Poulin, Blomqvist, Pickering or Hallinder + their 1st wouldn't be too bad. 

I am all for the short term rebuild/retool or whatever you want to call it. Just stock up on the next two drafts and most of the contracts we want gone will be expired. It will be go time to start shaping the roster. 

• Upvote 1