The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

So why are we trading picks when we don’t even have our core set up? All of these teams were at a point where the can sacrifice draft capital because the team was built to go deep into the playoffs. Keep your picks for when you actually have a team built then go for it. 

Because you pick up good young RD when you can as they don't come up that often.

Filip Hronek will play for us for years before those picks would.

This is retool vs rebuild; we are retooling while Petey, Q, and Demmer are prime, choice, Grade A, what you want.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Pure961089 said:

You do t get it.  Short term, immediate gratification, and ZERO long term vision. 

you don't like Petey, Hughes, Podz and Demko?  Add Raty, Klim and Karlsson into that mix now as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Hronek is a young RH defencemen. You probably aren’t getting that with those picks. Absolute win

Don't go being sensible now. That doesn't work.

Around here we like to verbally riot.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Colorado traded a top prospect and a 2nd for Arturri Lehkonen last year.  They also traded a second for Josh Manson and 2 second rounders for Devon Toews

The Lightning traded a good prospect in Josepg and a 4th for Nick Paul.  They also traded two first round picks for Hagel, not tomention Drouin for Sergachev

You use your high picks to draft your core guys, no question, then you can use other picks to pick up proven players, rather than hoping for lottery tickets to hit.

But if you don’t have core yet, you collect lottery tickets. 

Petey Hughes demko are great pieces to build around but they need to add couple more. 

31 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Looks like the Wing fans are super happy with the trade and we are not lol!!!

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/hronek-traded-to-vancouver-for-‘23-1st-nyi-and-‘23-2nd-van.2919022/

Sure, they can go on all they want about it, but one guy posted...  

"Lol try to find any posts of mine complaining about defensemen. We need to stock up with as much draft picks as possible and pray to get at least ONE offensive game changer. We currently have zero.

Hello??? You could've drafted Hughes! Haha! Too funny.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Because you pick up good young RD when you can as they don't come up that often.

Filip Hronek will play for us for years before those picks would.

This is retool vs rebuild; we are retooling while Petey, Q, and Demmer are prime, choice, Grade A, what you want.

Doesn't re tooling imply that you have to have achieved... something... first? Like it makes sense to me for Washington to retool.

The only thing that makes sense to me for the Canucks is stockpiling futures until the draft right now.  

5 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

They have been a bottom feeder for 3 years and now taking the next step.

Their draft pick has surpassed him.

If he was that important to them why did they trade him and now the rumour is they are after Parayko or which they now have draft assets and cap space for, sort of like when Benning traded for Schmidt which allowed Vegas to sign their STUD dman Pietranglo.

I guess this helps college RHD defencemen Livingstone and Huard make decisions easier.

Detroit took a short position on him. We took a long position. Either side can win big or lose big. He could be turning a corner and becoming an elite D man. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say a core of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Podz is pretty nice wouldn't you?  Not to mention a top pick in this draft and probably Lekkerimaki as well.  

Seems very light to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

The frustrating part of this is we STILL need another top-4 RD. Are we taking a run at Severson in UFA?

If we get Severson without having to trade anything for him, I'll feel better about this move. a 1st and a 2nd for 2x top-4 RD is much less painful. 

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Hronek

Dermott-Bear

Is probably an NHL defense if OEL can play like he did last year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jyu said:

But if you don’t have core yet, you collect lottery tickets. 

Petey Hughes demko are great pieces to build around but they need to add couple more. 

My original reply had nothing to do with Van, just that buiding a Cup winner through the draft is a myth, which it is.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

The frustrating part of this is we STILL need another top-4 RD. Are we taking a run at Severson in UFA?

If we get Severson without having to trade anything for him, I'll feel better about this move. a 1st and a 2nd for 2x top-4 RD is much less painful. 

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Hronek

Dermott-Bear

Is probably an NHL defense if OEL can play like he did last year. 

they'll have to clear out major cap to do that and those windows are closing fst