The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

and these guys could have all been Canucks. 

Now they won't be. 

This move for Hronek isn't a long term move, it's a short sighted move for sure. 

Well they still can.... if management think they are worth it.... or did we suddenly lose out 1st round pick?

I haven't watched Hronek enough to know whether he's the first pairing D with a complete game as the optimists assert or the middle pairing D who can't really defend that the pessimists maintain.  It will all depend on how he fits in here in any case.   Who his partner is, whether Tocchet can get our forwards to support the D better, are really going to matter.  But I trust that our pro scouting on this guy has been solid enough to warrant taking the chance.  He certainly has the mobility and the shot. 

If we're going to put a team together around Pettersson and Hughes in their primes, moves like this are unavoidable, whether or not they actually work.  Our D has been absolutely horrendous and fixing it is going to cost.  The good new is that getting defense-first partners for Hughes and Hronek will be cheaper.  I can see D-Petey paired with Hronek in a couple of years. 

Big picture is that lots of teams are retooling on the fly like us, making one big move like we did with Horvat to get assets, and then converting them into what they need now.  That trade was a home run for us and I'll take Horvat and a second for Beauvillier, Raty and Hronek every day of the week. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Hronek is 25 yrs old. Is pretty young and same age group as Kuzmenko, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko etc. I think we are surrounding our young core with similar age players. It won't make sense to draft a D which will take minimum 2 to 3 years to develop which by that time our core would be 3 years older. A forward top 5 pick could very well make the team in a year or right from the year they got drafted if he is very talented.

Even that is very optimistic... to be able to have a meaningful impact add another 2-3 years...

I'd bet he's going to anchor the 2nd pair. Probably going to go back to the gold star route and somehow sign gavrikov in UFA to a 3 year deal. Without looking I'm assuming he's a ufa.. lol

Hughes-livingstone

Gavrikov-hronek

OEL-Bear

Schenn 

Should add I really wouldn't doubt they opt to do the dumb thing of buyout OEL this summer lol

Edited by Mustard Tiger
Added

34 minutes ago, combover said:

Kesler - for Sbisa Bonino and a 1st 

1st flipped for rhd not so Gud 

huh

horvat for 

rat beau 1st 

1st flipped for rhd 

Worked out so well last time. 

Actually Ratu (who is a 2nd rd pick) cancels out the Canucks' 2023 2nd rd pick , so...

It's Horvat for Hronek and Beauvillier and a 4th.

Edited by The King of Kings
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

115 pages and we traded the NYI pick, which could be at 18.  I wonder how many pages we would get if JR traded our own 1st round pick?  

If we traded our own first, they would literally need 24 hour protection.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, TripleSedins said:

Hockey players have 10 good years, 20 - 30 they are all *&^*&^ young haha.  

1.Is the player skilled enough

2.Will he fit with your team 

3. What is his cap hit 

4. Does he factor into your timeline (this should be the only credit to age yet it seems overvalued in the league, (perhaps pace and injuries are a factor for aging players?)

20-30???

Most hockey players are just starting to get into the league after 20... where do you have those numbers from?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'd bet he's going to anchor the 2nd pair. Probably going to go back to the gold star route and somehow sign gavrikov in UFA to a 3 year deal. Without looking I'm assuming he's a ufa.. lol

Hughes-livingstone

Gavrikov-hronek

OEL-Bear

Schenn 

Should add I really wouldn't doubt they opt to do the dumb thing of buyout OEL this summer lol

Yes, Hronek won't be playing with Hughes.  He has plenty of offensive ability so will anchor his own pair.  I've heard he is more of a 2-way player than Hughes; more defensively responsible

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

20-30???

Most hockey players are just starting to get into the league after 20... where do you have those numbers from?

23-33 would be more accurate.  10 good years on a good player who doesn't suffer a terrible injury

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

20-30???

I would say most players are in their prime from 27 to 32.  20-25 they are usually developing.

• Thanks 1

Not crazy about the trade but understand it - we have some top end talent with Hughes, Pettersson, Demko who are all in their prime.  Lets not waste that and go full rebuild where we have to wait 3 - 5+ years for draft picks to develop.  The time to go rebuild was 5 years ago, we missed that window.  

• Like 1

I woke up. With a sobering thought... How does he relate to his draft class? 

I have an issue with trading a 13-17 pick as we might have drafted a franchise D man.... 

Hronek drafted 53rd overall in 2017.... 

A) 

Was he a diamond in the rough?

How are other d men drafted ahead of him doing? 

For instance Petey was drafted 5 OA but he'd go 2 OA in a redraft after Makar. 

Where would Hronek be? 

In 2016 13-18th pick- Bean, McAvoy, Chychrun, Fabbro Stanley 

Foote, Valimaki, Lilejgren was 14-17 in 2017

Would we rather have these types of players than Hronek? 

This helps me decide whether we made a terrible move or not.

For a contending team, this trade makes more sense. Does it for us though? 

11 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I am confident Ratys floor is a 3c. Miller needs to make better decisions with the puck and his play without the puck needs to improve for him to be a 2c on a contending calibre team.

Great news is that he's starting to turn it around and I'm seeing much better 2 way play

So then does that mean we just have 1 Top 4D left? 

I wonder if the plan is to play Hughes with a decent d man (not a star) on the right side(Severson) and then do the reverse on the 2nd pairing with Hronek being paired with a reliable LD (OEL) and have those 4 log big minutes

That may work? 

That sounds right. Millers best year was when he was deployed as our 2nd line center behind Petey. Before he was injured, his game was looking good without Horvat and with Tocchet. I see that continuing next year as Tocchet/ Miller seem to have striked up a good arrangement.

The 7.2 Million dollar questions is can OEL have a bounce back year in 23-24 like last year. If healthy and with a bonafide top 4 RD that will do the offensive work I believe he can. The buyout as absolutely ugly so any way to avoid would be best.

Raty hopefully will be that 3C , just not sure about next year but he certainly has the potential and is working hard at his faceoffs which will be key.

Still lotsa work to do!

Edited by nuck-lifer

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Including Hronek 2 but Ottawa is in a better position than us from a prospect and team building perspective. 

I wouldn't say that Ottawa has zero chance....5 points back of the Pens, but only 6 behind the Isles, who have played 4 more games. Other than that, they trail 3 other teams by only 2 points and have games in hand over 2 of them....

https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/standings_wildcard.asp

Edited by RUPERTKBD