The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

You say there is a clear direction. Everyone else says there isn't. You appear to be the only one who thinks you see something that everyone else doesn't see.

I see the clear direction and it isn’t hard either.

What is it that make you confused?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Here's my prediction for the rest of the deadline....

The Canucks will make no major moves. After it's all over they'll offer some platitudes about how they're comfortable with the moves they made and the group they have moving forward....

My suspicion is that they tried very hard to move Cap (probably Boeser, Garland and Myers) but were being lowballed (or asked to retain) because other teams know they're in a Cap crunch....

BTW: I'd love to be proven wrong on that front.

No doubt they tried hard to move cap. But it ain’t that easy. Which is why the whole win now plan doesn’t make sense.

In order to move their previous mistakes, they need to make it worth it to another team by retaining salary, taking back other bad contracts, or offering sweeteners like picks and prospects.

But by doing what they’ve said they’d do, they have much less room and opportunities to do any of that.

Sure buyouts can provide some relief but you still have to sign players so the team will probably have to wait until some of their bad contracts come off the books in the next 2 or 3 years without being able to truly build around the core until then.

Seeing that we’d be in this position for a good couple of years, now would’ve been a perfect time to collect the high picks needed to draft future stars and have the draft capital needed to really make an impact.

I believe now we’ll be having the same discussions about the dearth of high end prospects and roster depth in 3 years that we’ve been talking about for the last three. 

I hope I’m wrong. Very very wrong.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Cheers 1

tbh.. if we are moving that high of a 1st rounder and a 2nd.. i expect someone that is a little better than Hronek defensively.. i don't care if he's a RHD.. 25 and can put up points.. he's basically a worse version of QH that plays the right side.. we should have been targetting a player to play with QH... Hronek doesn't move the needle on the defence and we'll probably be just as bad defensively.. the canucks basically are capped out the following season.. other teams around the league knows this.. good luck trying to "dump" any salary without adding heavy sweetener.. or getting anything but pennies on the dollar for players u wanted to move... and if you think u can dump myers to arizona coz he's only worth 1 mil on a 6mil cap hit.. sorry to burst ur bubble.. arizona is pretty much at cap floor with all their LTIR with only 13 or 14 physical players that can play.. they'll easily reach cap floor just by signing 7 or 8 players at league minimum.. most bottom feeding teams are already at or close to the cap floor for next season without a full roster.

this is another case of terrible cap management.. adding cap to put urself in a bad situation without first moving out cap to give you flexibility and losing all leverage with any team because you'll be desperate to move cap.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

No doubt they tried hard to move cap. But it ain’t that easy. Which is why the whole win now plan doesn’t make sense.

In order to move their previous mistakes, they need to make it worth it to another team by retaining salary, taking back other bad contracts, or offering sweeteners like picks and prospects.

But by doing what they’ve said they’d do, they have much less room and opportunities to do any of that.

Sure buyouts can provide some relief but you still have to sign players so the team will probably have to wait until some of their bad contracts come off the books in the next 2 or 3 years without being able to truly build around the core until then.

Seeing that we’d be in this position for a good couple of years, now would’ve been a perfect time to collect the high picks needed to draft future stars and have the draft capital needed to really make an impact.

I believe now we’ll be having the same discussions about the dearth of high end prospects and roster depth in 3 years that we’ve been talking about for the last three. 

I hope I’m wrong. Very very wrong.

Unfortunately I don't think you are. As you said this is the time to be stockpiling picks. The landscape is so crappy we can't get anything done. Mushy middle time for the next 5 years is my guess. We maybe make the playoffs once and bow out in 5.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Wonder if any reporter will cook them for JR saying we aren't in a position to be moving top picks meanwhile doing just that haha. Should be fun! 

Our media is so critical of our management but continue to ask soft ball questions. They won’t. 

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Wonder if any reporter will cook them for JR saying we aren't in a position to be moving top picks meanwhile doing just that haha. Should be fun! 

which top 10 pick did they move?

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 3

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh.. if we are moving that high of a 1st rounder and a 2nd.. i expect someone that is a little better than Hronek defensively.. i don't care if he's a RHD.. 25 and can put up points.. he's basically a worse version of QH that plays the right side.. we should have been targetting a player to play with QH... Hronek doesn't move the needle on the defence and we'll probably be just as bad defensively.. the canucks basically are capped out the following season.. other teams around the league knows this.. good luck trying to "dump" any salary without adding heavy sweetener.. or getting anything but pennies on the dollar for players u wanted to move... and if you think u can dump myers to arizona coz he's only worth 1 mil on a 6mil cap hit.. sorry to burst ur bubble.. arizona is pretty much at cap floor with all their LTIR with only 13 or 14 physical players that can play.. they'll easily reach cap floor just by signing 7 or 8 players at league minimum.. most bottom feeding teams are already at or close to the cap floor for next season without a full roster.

this is another case of terrible cap management.. adding cap to put urself in a bad situation without first moving out cap to give you flexibility and losing all leverage with any team because you'll be desperate to move cap.

Spot on, nothing against Hronek but this trade doesn't fit the current need of the team. If we are making a big splash like this it should be like you said someone who can pair with Quinn.

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Bloddy luck that PA is the GM and JR just the advoser. B)

• Wat 1

Where are all the people who were posting “hey, don’t worry… this is just the first of a bunch of things we are doing at the deadline.”

It appears we have just put ourselves into more of a cap crunch while quadrupling down on one of the worst rosters in the league.

How does subtracting Horvat, adding Hronek, and paying millions more for Miller next year make the team better?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

No one said top ten pick.  JR literally said 1st and 2nd round picks.

Don’t be a dummy.

I must have misread the post I quoted multiple times. even went back to see if it was edited. could swear I read "top 10" in the post I quoted.