The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Thats what you have to pay for a decent RD man only 25 years old can play 21--24 minutes solid guy GP 60 -- Points 38

I agree, the surprise comes from the fact that the Canucks are trading away picks instead of acquiring picks. Now that I think of it though, I’m not sure why I’d be surprised given the last decade of Canucks hockey. 

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

He’s a year older than Pettersson, 2 years older than Hughes, and 2 years younger than Demko, who Rutherford and Allvin have identified as the “core”.  I’d say he fits in nicely with that core.  Hopefully Podkolzin, Hoglander, Raty, Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Jurmo, McDonough, Lekkerimaki, and Johansson can start getting folded in to the mix to supplement the team.

Agreed,there are a group of young prospects people keep saying we do not have plus our goalie.

3 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

After a few hours of letting this trade sink in, i am still very upset because of the timing and the price we paid in a deep draft. Sens paid an extra second rounder for Chychrun who has longer term remaining in his contract. Sure he's an UFA and a LHD, but he's a better overall defenseman. How does Dorion pull that off while Allvin does this?  

I can live with it if they can't move some of the bad contracts by deadline, but I can't accept that they made this trade at this time. If we kept those draft picks we can at least replenish our prospect pool, which is still very shallow even with the addition of Raty. Instead we continue to go backwards and spend our draft picks like candies. Why does the Canucks management continue to make puzzling moves?

Is there a way we can petition to stop this non sense? We really need management to listen and accept fans are not as dumb as they think and that we are ready for a proper rebuild. I'm almost at a point where i don't even care if we need to trade Petterson to call it a rebuild....

Chychrun is made of glass.  He has missed a large number of games in every single season of his career.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

2012-15 they tried to get it back, hard to fault them after to getting to game 7 and how do you "rebuild" when your key pieces only give you 1-2 options for a deal?

After a couple misses (though OJ was injury related) they got their man in Petey and thats when the "rebuild" started.  Since then they've managed to put together a pretty good young core of players........it's now a matter of supporting them properly.

Why would they to go back to the beginning of that process?  Or do you not think Petey, Hughes and Demko can be successful in Van?

I don't think they'll be successful without good young players coming up behind them. 

Currently we do not look good on the prospect front, our depth sucks, and we're no where close.

Tough bounce eh. Benning left a mess that doesn't have an easy out. Hronek is a good player, timing is terrible. 

Some are happy with a playoff team, I want a contender. I don't think they're anywhere close to the latter.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I love blueberries.  I eat them every day.  The best blueberry farms are in Pitt Meadows.

Also, pure blueberry juice is very healthy for you.  The one with no added sugar.  I would highly recommend to drink every day.  

Pitt Meadows sucks. Go Maple Ridge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me preface this by saying 1) I hate ownership and management and 2) I don't know much about Hronek other than what I've read today since the trade.

Honestly I think people are overreacting a little bit right now.  The dude is only 25 and could enter his prime in the next few seasons.  If he turns into a perennial all star RHD over the next 10 years on a relatively OK contract then it could well be a big win.  The NYI conditional pick is a lottery ticket. Maybe it's a top 5 2024 or a top 13-15 1st in 2023 (or potentially higher)... Maybe it's a 20th 2023 or later in 2024.... We just don't know right now.

Yes, I agree this trade could turn out disasterous and I am skeptical this was the right time to do it. But eventually if you want to add foundational pieces, you do it when you can. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the JT Miller trade when it happened and it turned out to be pretty good for us.  The cost there was slightly lower than it is now but it wasn't a whole lot different. If Hronek hits it off with Hughes and is willing to do a reasonable 8 year extension after July 1 then he could fill a major need for us going forward.

21 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Even if we only get Livingstone who I think wants to come here,that's two!

I have mixed feelings about the trade for Hronek.

But JR laid out the strategy a while ago. The team has the three hardest to get components that you need for a Cup contender -- an elite D-man, a very good goalie and a couple of elite forwards (Petey and maybe Kuz) -- all on reasonable contracts at present. So this is the time build on that foundation. 

This year the forwards as a group were good and should be better next year as age-related decline is not an issue yet, no-one is set to leave. Some of the young guys should improve and some of the other guys should be healthier. Losing Horvat creates a hole at center but, in terms of overall production, Beau looks good.

This year the goaltending was terrible, among the worst in the NHL. But I think it is reasonable to expect that Demko will be back to high quality performance next year. Silovs make great progress this year. He will probably start in Abby as I expect the Canucks to bring in a veteran back-up for Demko, but he will be available.

That leaves the D. Hronek goes a long way in improving the D. With Hughes Hronek and Bear the Canucks will have 3/4 of a pretty good top 4. They have a lot of irons in fire to fill out the top 4. Maybe Livingstone signs and can play in the top 4,  maybe OEL has a bounceback year, maybe Johansson (who is having an excellent year in the SHL) can play, maybe the team makes another move to acquire a D. As for the 3rd pairing, whether or not Schenn re-signs I think there are a lot of guys who can potentially play in a good defensive system and with continued high quality player development. The biggest problem is to get out from under the OEL/Myers contracts. I expect Myers to be traded in the summer after his bonus is paid. Failing that, we might see OEL bought out.

So a few things need to go right, but it is not a crazy strategy. The difference between the JR regime and Benning is competence. JR and Allvin are doing a good job implementing the strategy. Benning was incompetent and lost value with almost every move.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Very similar. Good trade, bad timing.

Why is it bad timing? He’s a very tangible asset that would be desired by most clubs. He is potentially going to be worth more than what we paid for him very soon and he’s only going to be entering RFA status. 

when a positional need comes available in the form of a player like him, you have to take it. QH needs someone to absorb some of the pressure on him and Hronek is a very capable Dman in the same age demo. 

One could actually argue the opposite and that it’s great timing, save for our current D situation with OEL and Myers contracts. But you can’t allow two bad contracts to hinder or postpone your future. Take a look at MIN and what they’ve accomplished. It’s entirely possible and plausible that we can work around it. I can’t conceptualize how mgmt will address that just yet but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that we use next season as another transition/attrition year that involves some suffering from liquidating our 3 bad contracts. As long as we build a top 4 out of it it’ll be worth it. We just accumulated piece 2 of 4. That’s a very very good start. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Just now, McBackup said:

For when you want Meth instead of Heroin in your blueberries

Go to Mission for that. It’s dispensaries for days here. 

Also by a bunch a solid lakes. So good that all you guys come over the bridge and crowd the hell out of them during the summer making parking hell. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It looks like you might be the first poster on CDC to figure out that this is an account controlled by the Vancouver Canucks.  I mean it was opened just after Petey played his first game in Vancouver.  I also mentioned many times that I am an insider.  Who else would have the authority to call themselves Elias Pettersson on this board?

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to figure it out really...   :)

If that's the case, you need to lose your job because you're failing to inform your keepers of the disatisfaction this fan base has with the team and its direction for the last decade.

Just sayin

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

After a few hours of letting this trade sink in, i am still very upset because of the timing and the price we paid in a deep draft. Sens paid an extra second rounder for Chychrun who has longer term remaining in his contract. Sure he's an UFA and a LHD, but he's a better overall defenseman. How does Dorion pull that off while Allvin does this?  

I can live with it if they can't move some of the bad contracts by deadline, but I can't accept that they made this trade at this time. If we kept those draft picks we can at least replenish our prospect pool, which is still very shallow even with the addition of Raty. Instead we continue to go backwards and spend our draft picks like candies. Why does the Canucks management continue to make puzzling moves?

Is there a way we can petition to stop this non sense? We really need management to listen and accept fans are not as dumb as they think and that we are ready for a proper rebuild. I'm almost at a point where i don't even care if we need to trade Petterson to call it a rebuild....

Hronek and Chychrun were picked the same draft.  Hronek RFA next year but only has 1 year left to UFA.  He's going to be in the Tkachuk situation where he can either sign a long term contract or decide he prefers to test UFA a year later.  His QO is 5.28M.  

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK full stop.

There's like 4 RHD in the first 20 picks that fit EXACTLY what this team needs.  9 in the first 2 rounds.  Is it a gamble?  Yes.  But it also ensures we pick EXACTLY what we want.

Hronek may have been "the best available" sure.  but at THIS time is like buying a house 11 months in to covid because you had FOMO.  

This deal could have been made any other point in time of the year but instead it is made during the single week where Tanner friggin Jeannott is getting an entire drafts worth of pics.

What part of why did they buy high is confusing to you?  Why do you feel it is better to continue doing exactly what this team has been doing since 2013 by not using the pick, instead jumping the gun and buying established players/prospects and literally costing the team any potential of organizational depth because they are using picks to buy the single items they need during the most expensive time of the year in a league where 31 other Gms know EXACTLY what this team needs and would leverage the hell out of it for maximum return.  Is there an advantage to wait on that pick that might very well be a top 10 or lottery pick next year if it slides?  How do we know Hronek will be as good as suggested?  Is Yzerman the type of GM that ha shown he would willingly move an asset just because?  What is the NYI pick slides and becomes a top 5 next year?  Then what?

For reference.  NYI has played 64 games.  The 3 teams in the east behind their 70 points are Pitts with 60 GP and 69 points, Buffalo with 59 GP and 66 points and Florida with 62GP and 66 points.  After Florida there is 4 teams with 64 points and all of them barring washington have played 60 games or less.  That NYI pick could easily slide and with them having questionable goaltending, no depth no prospects and no cap space to change things they could very well be handing the owner of their 2024 pick a top 10 pick.  Just curious, are you ok with giving away two top 10 picks in 3 years and still being happy with a "retool"

Nothing preventing us from *gasp* ASLO drafting a RHD with our first round pick...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Devron said:

He’s reasonably young. Not many 22 year defencemen have solidified themselves out there. They are usually projects or too good to be traded. Not to mention we’d be lucky to get a 29 year old through Free Agency and we’d over pay of course. So for those reasons I like this move. 

I'm trying to find something I like about it. Not hating on you for liking it, but by the time the Canucks are anywhere close to cup contention he's gonna be at least 27 Imho 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

He’s a year older than Pettersson, 2 years older than Hughes, and 2 years younger than Demko, who Rutherford and Allvin have identified as the “core”.  I’d say he fits in nicely with that core.  Hopefully Podkolzin, Hoglander, Raty, Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Jurmo, McDonough, Lekkerimaki, and Johansson can start getting folded in to the mix to supplement the team.

Yeah he fits in nicely with a core that has accomplished nothing. Whoopee doo