The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Why does it matter if this trade is made now or in the offseason?  Its the NYI 1st round pick so it wont factor in to the Bedard sweepstakes.

Regardless it is a first round pick. Haven't you notice in the last 5yrs we have given away high draft picks for D's that haven't panned out for us!!! 

Hughes -  Myers / Bear 
OEL      -  Hronek 
  ?         -  Bear / Myers

We also got AB in the Horvat trade.... agree that the price was high for Hronek but there are very few RHD available in the first rounds, I think this factored into whether the pick was moveable. 

Ok, I had time to reflect on this trade and I still hate it so bad. It just drives against the grain of everything I think the organization needs to be doing. 

Unloading assets and cap while adding picks is what's supposed to be happening. Allvin is like cab driver with a broken hud so he's trying to read a google map from his flip phone and gets completely lost. I just don't get the direction at all. 

Are you lost? I'm lost. Total wtf

• Huggy Bear 2

I have mixed feelings about this trade. We potentially got our partner for Hughes, but losing those draft picks hurts. However, I'm leaning towards positive.

Hronek is a proven top 4 D. People are acting like he's only had one good season but--with the possible exception of 2020-2021--he's been good offensively his whole career. Where he has really improved is his defensive play, as he has great underlying numbers this season. "He's having an outlier season," but then again, so was Horvat. We basically flipped Horvat and a 2nd for Hronek, Beauvillier, Raty, and a 4th. When you consider how hard it is to acquire top 4 RHD, that's pretty good. NYI wouldn't give us Dobson, so we pivoted and got Hronek. 

If you believe Allvin, Hronek is a top 2 defenseman... and maybe on the Canucks he is. 

On Detroit, he was second to Seider in TOI/GP; tied for second in points; and for all the talk about his career +/-, he was the only player in the top 5 with a + rating. He was also second in power play points, despite only playing on the 1st unit for ~35% of the season.

That's where I think he'll get more opportunity on the Canucks. He may not play with Hughes even strength, but having both on the 1st unit PP might be a good look. The biggest problem with our defense besides... well--defense--has been scoring from the back end. Hronek has scored 9 goals twice in his 5 year career, including this season already... in the past 10 years we've only had two 9+ goal scorers (Yannick Weber in 2014-15 and Alex Edler in 2018-19). 

However, I'm nervous about that NYI 1st round draft pick, and see how it's really valuable for Detroit. Between the Islanders and Redwings in the league standings, I could see all 6 teams passing the Islanders before the end of the year. Detroit could conceivably have picks back to back when the draft comes around. With Barzal injured, the Islanders could plummet even more, and defer the draft pick to '24, but do even worse next year.

Adding the 2nd is frustrating, but I'm kind of annoyed by people saying it's a "Benning move," because Benning never got a RHD as good as Hronek. Not even close. 

All in all, this could be a win-win trade--and that could be why fans are split down the middle. 

Edited by Nave
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure seems like our owner is meddling again though. Hard to be confident about us turning into a winner with him meddling in hockey ops. 

Nope, this is all JR.  He was brought in to do a specific job and that is exactly what he is doing.  If people don't agree with it, that is fine.  But he is doing exactly what he intended to do.

The patient is on the operating table and the surgeons have already started to go to work.  It's gonna be a major surgery, so we have just begun.  People thought major surgery meant rebuilding with picks and prospects, but that is not the case.  It meant to get rid of everyone but the core and build around them.  That is exactly what is happening, one bite at a time...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Hang in there my friend, I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I've been around since the 80's myself.  I think I have seen it all too.  I also want to see us win the cup before I die.  Petey and Hughes give me hope that we can do it in the next 2-3 years.  When was the last time we had 2 legit superstars on the team at the same time at forward and at defence?  I would say never.  Even in the Pavel years we never had a Dman like Hughes.  Not in the Naslund years, not in the Sedin years.  

JR/PA still have alot of work to do.  Let's see what else they have coming...

The past 4 years.....B)

Seriously, I think you're wrong, but I fervently hope that it's me who's mistaken.

More than anything, I hate this trade because it just might push us out of the Bedard sweepstakes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really have to take issue with this narrative that a rebuild means you can't possibly win for a decade or more....or that Petey and Hughes can't possibly be part of it....

Take a look at who had the 1st overall pick in 2020....and look where they are now....

Are you joking?  If there's one team to not hold up as the "rebuild" model, it's NYR.  In fact, they're the model for the quick re-tool.......theyre successful almost completelyfrom trsdes and signings.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

100% agree there.

Yeah IF the player comes available. 
it’s not just a trade, it’s about finding the right fit, price point, age, etc etc etc.

again, this aint EA Sports, it’s real life with a variety of factors and sometimes you have to jump when you believe a key acquisition is available to you.

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

So what do you want to do. Sell Hughes and Pettersson? That's the only way you tear it down. Otherwise you piss away their primes and we wait another 10 years to ice a competitive team. 

I don't understand you folks screaming for a rebuild. Our last window to do that was in 2017 or 2018 when we drafted them, but unfortunately Benning decided not to. 

Totally. Some folks finding it hard to compute that times have changed and so have certain windows.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Are you joking?  If there's one team to not hold up as the "rebuild" model, it's NYR.  In fact, they're the model for the quick re-tool.......theyre successful almost completelyfrom trsdes and signings.

Panarin and Fox are the direct result of a deliberate tank and message to the fanbase to be patient while draft capital is stockpiled! 

43 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Bro I think you are the only one here that is happy about this trade!!! 

Ask yourself, wouldn't it make more sense to conduct this trade during the off season when you have these picks for high depth draft since 2015!!! 

The players people talked about Rickenacker, Palikka isn’t something I’m impressed of.

Top RHD wasn’t so deep in this draft.

So no, a loud no, NO if you have a problem hearing me.

You can tell me how many young top RHD players that has been available during the summers lately?

• Vintage 1

Ok, now that I have had to digest this trade, I am going to look at this trade as a "Glass half Full" trade........as stated above, Hronek is a legit top 4 Deman, possiblity a top 2 Dman.

So, when you look at the total picture, we need a Defensive RHD for the first pairing, and a Defensive LHD for the 2nd pairing That is up 1 from only having Hughes as the only legit defenseman on the team.

Now, first off, Hronek is 25 and will not be 26 until November of next year. I give him 7 years, as a ligit top 4 Dman. That is 33, after that, anything is gravy..........but that is 7 years!

So, we seem to have a great forward group, that can compete with anyone, we have a starting goalie in Demko, and an up and coming one in Silovs, so when you look at the big picture of things, we are not that far away.

Point #1.............we acquired a legit RHD. He will be the second best Dman on the squad.

Point #2.............we are only 2 defensive Dmen away from having a pretty decent top 4

Point #3.............we will be picking a very good player in the draft, and even if we rise, we will still have a decent prospect...IMO, think Dvorek, Moore, Yager, or Reinbacher (I would be happy with any of them)

Point #4.............IMO, our current prospect pool is stronger than is being given credit for........I compare Brisebois to Mayfield on the New York Islander (a late bloomer.

(I would like to see him kept up, at least until he shows he can't handle it) (IMO, he is showing he can handle it)

Point #5.............we have a few prospects that may be able to play with Hughes......(RHD Filip Johansson, and this is not including possible target UFA senior Jake Livingstone)

Point #6.............we also have Truscott and Pettersson, who both can play defense, and are both showing they are solid Defensive LHD 

This is not including any UFA defenseman that might fit that bill, if we can clear enough cap. The point is, we have obtained a solid RHD, that is here now, and is a bonafide NHL Dman (That can not be said for the picks, who we would be waiting for anyways). Am I disappointed losing the picks........In more ways in one! But If management is going against my wishes, this is not a bad trade. 

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ok, I had time to reflect on this trade and I still hate it so bad. It just drives against the grain of everything I think the organization needs to be doing. 

Unloading assets and cap while adding picks is what's supposed to be happening. Allvin is like cab driver with a broken hud so he's trying to read a google map from his flip phone and gets completely lost. I just don't get the direction at all. 

Are you lost? I'm lost. Total wtf

Go back and listen verbatim to the interviews with mgmt and you should be well versed in transactions of the present 

• Upvote 1