The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

3 minutes ago, combover said:

your plans to keep them and keep doing what we’re doing lolololol because that’s working. Remind me what’s out position in the standings. 
hoping two players make us a cup contender not even a full top line hahahahhahaha. 
We’ll be lucky to make the playoff before EP turn 30 at this rate. 
but I’m sure he’ll stick around 

it sure is entertaining. 

You’ve definately missed all the players added.

We are only two young defence prospects away from division finals, wich we already have cooking.

Then we can add players during a five year span that build the team stronger with a possible cup final in sight.

So go ahead and switch team if you want to rebuild. B)

Just now, elvis15 said:

I don't know. As much as he's a RHD who fits the age group, I expected we'd look to solidify the defensive side rather than try to add another offensive defenceman. More than that, I thought we'd use our surplus of wingers to do it.  Don't hate it, but was really looking forward to the extra picks in this draft, especially the two 1sts.

The organization doesn't care what fans want. They just have to listen to ownership and ownership has always tried to cut corners and win now. Surprise, surprise it's never worked. 
Aquilini: Let's try again!

Slick and Savy GM work by Detroit you cannot argue they didn't get the most for the player. I think it's a hockey trade given the current market.

A few points to consider:
1.Not pulling the trigger on Hronek likely means losing that player to another team 

2. Not many RHD available in the first two rounds 

3. We have other players to move for picks 

4. Canucks fans don't like trades where there isn't a clear cut winner. Two savy GM's went head to head and Detroit timed it perfectly..

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

IMO they also made this trade because they feel Hronek is better than any defenseman they would target between pick 13 to 15 or so. Consensus is it will be forward heavy the first 15 picks....they probably like Hronek more than the guys in that range. Pretty much a given we are going forward with our first pick.

I agree with your post.. Also the player they pick this summer with NYI pick would take how many years before player can play in the NHL??

Petey is 24 and if you draft a player this year good chance it will be at least 3-- 5 years before there NHL ready? 

I think Vancouver will make another big trade by Friday...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes and when did a Stanley cup contender ever win with just two players? This team doesn't have enough prospects to fill holes when someone has an  injury. We get a significant injury who is going to come up and fill those holes? The great teams have those options. We just can't stand having multiple picks. We just have to get rid of them in a win now mode which has shown to be a complete failure. 

We have three to 4 prospect next year that will get a good look. 

Our tank isn't empty just not near full yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t wanna see Bear or OEL on the roster next season.

No offense to Bear but he’s a redundant player now. We need D men with size and a strong defensive game to balance out the D.

I guess I agree but I think even this is overly ambitious. Bear is, at least, a serviceable nhl defender at a position that’s hard to fill.  OEL needs a guy who can move and regarding him:

I also don’t want to buy out OEL until he’s the last thing between us and being a contender just to minimize dead cap years.  

But yeah, ultimate wish list it’s:

Hughes-stay at home RHd 

stay at home lhd - Hronek

Maybe Rathbone?-Livingstone 

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Not awful, but ya still needs work.

If we re-sign Schenn, I probably think it’s time to move on from Baer. I think he’s a bottom 2 defenceman, likeable guy though.

Wonder of with the Hronek addition, they look into moving Bear this deadline. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t wanna see Bear or OEL on the roster next season.

No offense to Bear but he’s a redundant player now. We need D men with size and a strong defensive game to balance out the D.

How are they getting rid of oel?

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I guess I agree but I think even this is overly ambitious. Bear is, at least, a serviceable nhl defender at a position that’s hard to fill.  OEL needs a guy who can move and regarding him:

I also don’t want to buy out OEL until he’s the last thing between us and being a contender just to minimize dead cap years.  

But yeah, ultimate wish list it’s:

Hughes-stay at home RHd 

stay at home lhd - Hronek

Maybe Rathbone?-Livingstone 

Too many smurfs. Gotta move Rathbone imho

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey and Hughes won't be around for your 10 year rebuild.  So how do you propose to replace them?

Ive been to the future ,2033. Bo comes back after  losing for 10 years on the island. Petey and boeser keep in contact and wait for bo to get his first cup and their fifth.  :towel:untitled.png.b68d4cd73645201e052f6e7add52dcca.png

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, combover said:

E9E0107A-00B3-4D0E-80D2-8CB7774FBE37.jpeg.45f7e460d0b39ad2aa48451ca6ab0726.jpeg

at least this franchise is still good for a laugh. 
But experts  on here still know more. 

Is there a metric that shows Chychrun as more effective than Hronek?  I kind of laugh at fancy stats as the be all - end all but Hronek puts up good numbers in big minutes.  

I saw someone mocking him as “he’s sure right handed” but what’s Chychrun? “He’s sure 6’2?”

Edited by ilduce39

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yeah I don't know where these conclusions of "directionless" are coming from. The re-tool was pretty clear when Rutherford said in a press conference a few months ago that they'd be targeting players in their early-mid 20s. 

They want players in the same age group as Hughes and Petey. 

They've been good on the small moves, you can see purpose there.  It's the major moves where they seem to be clueless

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR is 74 years old.  He was never brought in to do a rebuild.  It was always going to be a retool on the fly.  Some people got hope of a rebuild when we traded BO for Raty and that 1st round pick, and then the Miller rumours.  But I knew all along JR was going to trade the NYI pick for a RHD.  I said it many times and I might even look for those posts.

Petey and Hughes are gonna be 25 and 24 this year.  Demko is gonna be 28.  Hronek is gonna be 26.  Miller is gonna be 30.  They are all in the timeline to win now, or 2-3 years from now.  Teams that are rebuilding don't already have their superstar talent.  That is why they are rebuilding.  If Petey and Hughes weren't around then I would say let's tear this whole thing down.  But when you have possibly the greatest Canuck ever just entering his prime and possibly the greatest Canuck defenceman of all time also in that timeline, both playing together at the same time, and you also have a goalie who has shown to be Vezina calibre, you just need to go for it.  You can't wait it out and hope and pray that your 25 draft picks pan out.  I mean, what happens if they don't?  Then you effectively wasted the prime years of two of the greatest players in Canucks history.  We can't afford to take that risk.  We need to go for it now...

Ha ok.  Ok so just so we're clear.

Pettersson is great

Hughes is great

Demko might literally never come close to what he did for like one career season.

Hronek is literally a PP specialoist with meh defensive numbers at best and gets pushed off the puck very easily

Miller is decent but overpaid

We have no prospects to speak of

We have no depth of any significance

We have no cap space and unless a buyout or major move is made will be over the cap to start next season

And while all these issues are present and have literally been ever present to some extent with the two cores we've had since 2013; we're gonna "go for it now"

Lemme know which teams we're getting past in the playoffs or how; with changing only 1 major person to the core aside from OEL in the 5 years they've been together something is going to change.

Sorry mate; we all love this team, we all want the best from them and we know what we have in Petey and Huggy bear but we;'re not going for anything short of mediocrity.  if this team was a pretty individual in a corporate position we'd be effectively sleeping our way to the middle at best!  We're not going for anything but the middle and we have zero assets or room to do anything to change it except for hoping that somehow some way we have 4 major core players that can replicate or improve upon career seasons that they had last year, with arguably the most important of the 4 potentially never recovering fully from a serious injury that has affected far better goaltenders than him.

Just now, stawns said:

They didn't draft fox, they traded for him.  All their young players are support players, at best.  The core they win with are older, veteran players that they traded for or signed.

Before he played a game in the NHL.....But okay....if you need an example of a rebuild that didn't take a decade, look at the Penguins in the mid-oughts.

I reject this premise that trading guys like Miller and Boeser and hanging on to our picks means the team has to suck for a decade.....

Just now, ilduce39 said:

Is there a metric that shows Chychrun as more effective than Hronek?  I kind of laugh at fancy stats as the be all - end all but Hronek produces puts up good numbers in big minutes.  

I saw someone mocking him as “he’s sure right handed” but what’s Chychrun? “He’s sure 6’2?”

I've never been a Chycrun fan, one of the most over rated players in the league, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Ive been to the future ,2033. Bo comes back after  losing for 10 years on the island. Petey and boeser keep in contact and wait for bo to get his first cup and their fifth.  :towel:untitled.png.b68d4cd73645201e052f6e7add52dcca.png

OMG Petey lost all his teefs!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

E9E0107A-00B3-4D0E-80D2-8CB7774FBE37.jpeg.45f7e460d0b39ad2aa48451ca6ab0726.jpeg

at least this franchise is still good for a laugh. 
But experts  on here still know more. 

They still are trading 1st rounder 2023 - between 12th - 18th O/A

2nd rounder 2024 - so should be like between 43rd - 50th O/A

2nd rounder 2026 

Thats a good return for Coyotes