The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Curtis Lazar to Devils for 2024 4th-round pick

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

anyone in the media ask him the tough questions? 

In terms of the Hronek trade, Vancouver had been needing an effective right shot defenseman.  He said getting a 25 yr old, cost controlled right hand defenseman that fits a team need was never going to be cheap.  

He was asked "why now?"

He responded along the lines of "Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Miller, Kuzmenko, Pettersson are players you win with now"

He pretty much confirmed these 6 as the core moving forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

This guy is not an NHL player. It’s only a matter of time before his draft pedigree rubs off completely and he finds himself out of a job in this league. 

Huh? Sounds like your rubbing one off!?

56 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

In terms of the Hronek trade, Vancouver had been needing an effective right shot defenseman.  He said getting a 25 yr old, cost controlled right hand defenseman that fits a team need was never going to be cheap.  

He was asked "why now?"

He responded along the lines of "Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Miller, Kuzmenko, Pettersson are players you win with now"

Spooshy’s recap

We got something for both Lazar and Stillman. I think that is a win for sure. They had a chance here, didn’t work out and we still got some value. Good job all around.

Bo and the return was ok, even including Hronek and all the parts around that. Losing the first sucks but still worth it in my mind. Beauvillier has been better than expected so far. Hope he can keep that up but not sure he can.

Kravtsov is a questionmark but the potential is there for him to fit in nicely. Other smaller parts moving gives us a chance to add something else.

All in all I’m (again) clearly in the minority here, but I’m pretty happy with how everything has unfolded. You always hope for a big splash and a big name coming onboard but good pieces have been added.

If we buy out OEL and move Myers after his signing bonus, I feel like we have done a good job of moving on from our issues and can focus on our (possibly bright) future.

Thoughts CDC?

1 hour ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

He was asked "why now?"

He's only cost controlled for another season after which he's due a big raise 

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This management group loves signing players and then trading them within the season. That really doesn't smack of having much of a plan at all. Why not keep Lazar? Was that 4th so vital?

Isn't that what we basically got for Vanek after 50ish points ... well Motte and eventually a 4th.   So.   Not so shabby.   Lazar is replaceable from Abby and our PK sucked anyways.   Decent signing better trade rinse and repeat.   Last years fourth line with Highmore and Lammy what did we get from that exactly again?  Zilch - AND they could PK above average. 

26 minutes ago, tequila said:

Nice.

We traded a 4th liner for a draft pick that has a 0.01% chance to become  4th liner.

Says you.   Most draft picks actually play a handful of NHL games.    I'm sure we could find a couple guys in Abby that can do his job.   

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Says you.   Most draft picks actually play a handful of NHL games.    I'm sure we could find a couple guys in Abby that can do his job.   

I was thinking Lazar and Lockwood could've formed a high octane combo, but alas... 

I was wondering if they'd cleared the cap space for another trade, or maybe it's to 

free up contract space for the off season. Either way, there goes another $800,000 off the cap.

All the best to him. 

I like Lazar as a person, but I had alluded to the fact in the summer when we were rumored to go after him, he has no bottom line as a player.

We got a good glimpse of that this year. Glad we were able to move on from his contract and gain some level of value for him.

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Is that Tocchet or a player mindset/programming that requires time to tweak?

Seems to me it would be both, seeing the value in keeping everything simple, especially in systems with so many changes in players in and out (like it's been for years) could only help things and it's a huge problem for us that still sucks badly, it's been like that for awhile now and Bruce was the only person who kind of addressed because he had to or he'd have done as well as Greener who over complicated everything that did the team a disservice and himself that finally got him fired. 

Why didn't it continue with Bruce, as in coaching that out of them by making the quickest easiest way of a play vs hesitation, looking for a deeper play, i.e. stretch passes instead of to whoever is closer and unchecked or more open.

And if it doesn't stop, no matter who comes in we will always be fighting a uphill battle and having to rely on our goalies standing on their heads, which only works for so long. 

Will a bench boss ever push to change it? Maybe, maybe not.. until then? Well more of the same.