The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

1 hour ago, -Moose said:

5 trades for the Canucks is pretty good. I can understand the Hronek trade, but I think something like that should have been made at the draft table where GMs value draft picks a lot more. Could maybe have not included the 2nd that way 

JR definitely overpaid - no two ways about that! 

Just now, Angry Goose said:

oh please. It goes without saying that PA wants this team to be as competitive as possible.  quit it with these unfair interpretations 

His actions on moves and continuing the cap crunch says he's building a competitive team, but do you really believe that what he's building will turn into a contender? 

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Allvin said it himself, he wants a competitive team, but what he didn't say is that he wants a contender, so I guess that's that. 

This much is evident based on our moves.

We'll keep trying the same thing, and failing over and over again.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

What I posted in the things thread:

I think we moved in the wrong direction competently. The wrong direction is a set feature of the team defined by ownership so at least the crew was refreshingly competent compared to the last guy. 
We are fighting hard to become a middle of the road team that hopes Demko gets a hot run in him before his hips get out. 

Things I liked:

the Bo trade was good value. Mid first rounder with potential to be better, good prospect decent young winger with good speed.

Kravtsov deal. Good gamble, lots there to like cost very little. 
Like that this team isn’t married to their mistakes. Got a return for Stillman and a decent one. Lazar wasn’t working out and moved on. 
‘Benning left a team that was slow, not physical, not very skilled and was small to boot. We have brought in players for the most part who can really skate and/or have good size and skill.  
Adding a quality right D, young since our intent is to be able to scrape into the playoffs, not win there. This was a good step for moving towards mediocre. 

Things I didn’t like

We backed ourselves into a corner and we’re forced to make the Bo trade. 
We knew this was not going to be a rebuild, just a retool of the retool done by a tool. We got a first rounder that had the potential to be at worst a mid rounder and possibly a lottery pick next year and traded it along with another second without even knowing what we had.
We keep acting like we are a championship team when we aren’t even a half decent team. 
‘We are the 6th worst team in the NHL, are over the cap for next season and have the highest salary commitment next year of any team in the NHL. we have only managed to shed cap from premium positions of C and D and have added soooooo much cap to the wing. Other GMs smell desperation and aren’t going to line up to help us out.  Myers doesn’t automatically go to Arizona for pics just because of the structure of his contract, that will still cost us. 

We have heard that the best deals are often the ones you don’t make.  Well, our worst failures have been the deals we didn’t make for JTM. Not trading him for the rumoured return from NYR last year was a massive mistake. If it is true that Pitts offered 2 first rounders with no retention then we made an even bigger mistake.  The idea that we needed a centre back now in this deal is just so incredibly stupid and short sighted. In the off-season having cap space and 2 first rounders to work with this could have been addressed with more potential options AND helped us in the Bedard bowl.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

And then one day, the crowd will chant "Fire (enter GM name here)" and next day the duncecap owner will fire me, and then rinse and repeat.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

We gave up for next year

Horvat 8.5 mil (never would have paid it but would have lost him for nothing otherwise)

Stillman 1.35 mil

Lazar 1 mil

2nd

7th

We got

Hronek 4.4

Beauvillier 4.15

Kravtsov 875k

Raty

Bloom

3rd

2 4th's

So we did shed some salary, got younger, got something for 2 expiring contracts, got 2 A prospects and a B, improved our picks a bit.

This isn't a huge homerun, but I am a happier fan than I was a month ago.

A refreshingly balanced take. Bo was going regardless. 

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

27th in the league and capped out with many inefficient contracts, yet we buy at the TDL with a 1st and 2nd. 

I still don't understand why they couldn't hold onto their cap space and picks, move more inefficient cap with having some space/leverage to do so, and then use some assets to acquire a rhd like Hronek in the offseason. Shortcuts always turn into deepcuts. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

well, trading the captain is pretty major

On it's own it might look major but in the grand scheme of things and from a team perspective, this team essentially looks about the same as last week +/- a couple of minor pieces.  We still are missing four more half descent defensemen, 2 centers, penalty killers, grit, size and a back up goalie and are saddled with numerous bad contracts - too many to list here.   

Until most of that is fixed, I'm not expecting significant changes in results anytime in the near future.  These small changes are nothing more than typical re-tooling that we've seen over and over for the past decade - with no sign of a rebuild in sight and looking like it won't happen while greedy Aqua-Lini is still owner.   

No matter, I'll give JR and PA some rope and see what more they can do in the summer as I know untangling the Jim Benning mess will take time due to extreme number of horrendous decisions he made - especially in his last two years when he was desperate.     

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

His actions on moves and continuing the cap crunch says he's building a competitive team, but do you really believe that what he's building will turn into a contender? 

you have to walk before you run

this mgmt group sees something with the core group they have.  whether they can execute on that remains to be seen.  I do like the adds so far. The subtractions have not been accomplished yet.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

If this team won't listen to the fans or common sense than they are no longer worth following.  There is nothing worse than bad ownership and now we're seeing it first hand.

Why would the President of a hockey team who is paid millions to make decisions listen to some dude sitting on his couch playing NHL 23?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

27th in the league and capped out with many inefficient contracts, yet we buy at the TDL with a 1st and 2nd. 

I still don't understand why they couldn't hold onto their cap space and picks, move more inefficient cap with having some space/leverage to do so, and then use some assets to acquire a rhd like Hronek in the offseason. Shortcuts always turn into deepcuts. 

That would make too much sense for this group.