The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

15 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

If I ultimately want to achieve a sub 10 second quarter mile car but end up getting a 11 second car, my intentions dont change despite the lack of execution. I might be happy with the 11 second car for now, but you cant speak for me and say that’s all I really want in the end.  This is logic.  

If I'm watching your competitors build out their car with a plan, patience, and then adding a supercharger, but at the same time I watch you in your garage live paycheque to paycheque, keeping that aging carburetor (Miller) to your engine, trying to get fast but with no apparent blueprints on how to do so, and then not adding a supercharger because of said money issues, you will continue to lose the race, even though you had fun competing at the event. 

6 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

We're not deep though.

Every single hockey expect with a prospect pool list has us firmly in the bottom 5.

30/32 - The Hockey Writers https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/ 

28/32 - The Athletic - https://theathletic.com/3923067/2023/01/09/nhl-prospect-rankings-2023/

28/32 - Rinkside - https://eprinkside.com/category/prospect-pool-rankings

So unless all the major hockey writers are wrong, I would say you're massively overrating our prospects. 

People said the same things you are now when our top prospect was Patrick White, and Hunter Shinkaruk after that.

Our prospect pool is bad. It's shallow, and it's absolutely full of fringe prospects with little to no potential to be IMPACTFUL players.

We're deeper than we have been most years, but we've also only drafted once in the 1st round in the past 4 drafts. 

People like to look at this team through rose colored glasses, and to some extend I understand it.

But when it comes to this teams future, we're in trouble. There is no speculation there, it's a fact.

We aren't a win now team, we're not even a win tomorrow team. We're mortgaging our long term success to build on a extremely flawed roster.

Please somebody tell me what I'm missing, and how our prospect pool is "deep"

I think we have a lot of prospects who can be good NHL players. I’m not saying we have the best or deepest group but I think there’s talent there and guys who can and will make impacts. We don’t need 10 guys who will turn into high end players. We need guys who will be good productive players and I think that’s what we have. 

2 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

My apathy for this team continues to increase. I will always be a fan and follow the team in some form but my engagement is almost gone. I'm tired boss. Constant re-tooling, spend to the cap and for what? Chasing a wildcard playoff spot? I thought the goal was supposed to be the cup? Sadly, I don't see this team winning anything in my lifetime and that makes me sad. The only thing that will make me continue to buy into my friends season tickets is if we win the lottery. Otherwise I will just follow the team on here and Reddit.

For better or worse, Go Canucks Go.

I hear ya bro. Sadly, I could have written this post myself.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I think the only gripe people have with the Hronek trade is the timing, which I honestly don’t care about. Got an opportunity to acquire a RHD like him and we took it. Would’ve liked to have seen at least one of Boeser/Garland/Myers moved but I think all three will be in the summer.  Overall I’d say a solid C+/B- for what we got relative to what we traded. 

Timing, but also getting us back into a cap crunch are the two main issues. I can't wait to see Hronek play, though.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Well doesn’t that tell a story! Perpetually middling. 

It doesn't tell the whole story, we added Kravtsov, Raty, and Bloom, 3 pretty strong prospects.  I don't get the overvaluing of picks vs actual players on cdc.

3 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

My take on trades so far with just one following question, do you really think that teams would let us to create more cap in the off-season?   WE just do not have any space to sign in the summer with UFA options.   There are reason why teams at the bottom are not a buyer so that they can turn things around quicker with draft pick and cheaper contract so by the time they are more mature physically, they can go for UFA to help the team with more cap space.  Vancouver will surely not likely to improve their team as they are tied up with the cap space.  This type of moves will not help to get a playoff spot nor a cup run if we do make the playoffs.  There are still holes on this team and we might not be able to get defenseman help this off-season.    The only cap clearing is to buyout OEL and count to the cap for 8 more years.

Have you checked the free agent list this summer? It’s not an overloaded list that’s for sure.  After the cap goes up and the big names like Tarasenko/O Reilly go, guys like Boeser might become attractive secondary options.  Same with Myers w/one year left and his hefty bonus paid out rather going longer with the available aging UFA defensemen.

Maybe optimistic but it’s a time frame/circumstances worth playing out. 

It is disappointing that one of the more expensive players weren't dealt, but my hope is that maybe Boeser is traded at the Draft. Also hoping that they figure something out with OEL.

Ferland's money is done after this season. Delia will be gone. Maybe they don't qualify Dermott. 

I don't know, I feel like they're stuck until OEL is done with hockey. If Allvin trades our 1st to unload him, I'll be sick. :sick:

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is a difference between having a difference of opinion and whining about the same thing over and over again every single day.  Also, whenever I take a position, I get attacked as a homer and told my position is wrong and I'm basically an idiot who has no clue what I'm talking about.  The Hronek trade is a perfect example.

Some people aren’t happy unless they aren’t happy, aka Canucks fans.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The surgery got botched.

really didn’t achieve anything 

whoop de do we got a rhd that has one year left before he needs a raise and we paid maximum value to get him. 

didn't address the biggest problem, the salary cap in fact they added to the problem. 
I don’t see any improvement for this club next year I feel like they’ll be worse. 

I give them a solid F 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

The surgery got botched.

really didn’t achieve anything 

whoop de do we got a rhd that has one year left before he needs a raise and we paid maximum value to get him. 

didn't address the biggest problem, the salary cap in fact they added to the problem. 
I don’t see any improvement for this club next year I feel like they’ll be worse. 

I give them a solid F 

homer simpson pain GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If I'm watching your competitors build out their car with a plan, patience, and then adding a supercharger, but at the same time I watch you in your garage live paycheque to paycheque, keeping that aging carburetor (Miller) to your engine, trying to get fast but with no apparent blueprints on how to do so, and then not adding a supercharger because of said money issues, you will continue to lose the race, even though you had fun competing at the event. 

still missing the point/conflating intentions with outcomes but whatever

34 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

People seem to think we have no prospects

(my opinions)

A Level (75/25 will be nhl regulars)

Raty(20)

Hoglander(22)

Podkolzin(22)

Kravtsov(23)

Lekkerimaki(18)

Johansson(22)

Silovs(21)

B (50/50 chance)

Petersson(dman)(19)

Bloom(19)

McDonough(23)

Klimovich(20)

C (25/75 chance)

Jurmo(20)

Truscott(20)

Rathbone(23)

Karlsson(23)

Kudryavtsev(19)

Forsell (19)

Clearly these are my opinions, but I think, based on current knowledge, we have a fairly strong prospect pool and we have a top 10 pick this year to add to it and possibly Jake Livingstone.  We still need to improve our Defensive pool, but adding Johansson was a sneaky good move.  He and DPetey might make the pool look pretty good over the next couple of years.

With EP, Hughes, Hronek, Demko, Kuz, Miller, Boes, we are not as far off as some want to think.  

Excellent post. Our prospect pool is improving and will after the draft too. I really wanted to hang on to the conditional 1st - and was hoping we could get another or a 2nd at the deadline - but do understand we had to give up to get more immediate help with a young RHD.

It's pretty obvious how Abby is improving, and will continue to do so. We're not rushing guys into the league. If there's anything I do like, it's the direction we're taking with developing prospects. 

Abby could be stocked with great prospects  and some would still say we have no prospects. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Out                                                                                   In

Roster:

Bo

Schenn

Lazar

Stillman

Prospect:

Lockwood

Wyatt Kalynuk

Picks

2023 2nd.

Roster:

Beauvillier

Hronek

Kravtsov

Prospect:

Raty

Bloom

Picks

2023- 3rd

2023 – 4th

2023 – 4th

2024 – 4th

I actually like how this lines up.  It seems like significant effort to improve and address some needs.

The doubt is more along the lines of the amount left to do:

Boes, Meyers at minimum need to be moved this summer, if only for cap reasons.  

Edited by dm_ranger
missed a trade and got Out and In backwards
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Devron said:

Kinda glad we held onto Miller. I don’t think the return would be better then what Miller can bring to this team.

Moving Brock might have been the Cherry on top of a great deadline. But maybe that’s to come this summer 

If we can believe Allvin about "no offer on Miller" (and I do) then that blows the bs from Dreger out of the water.  It seems like they would move him for the right offer, but haven't gotten it, which is where we've been for the last year.  For better or worse, I think he's going to be around for a while, maybe the duration.  Personally, I still like the player but understand why others don't.  The case for keeping him really took a hit this year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dm_ranger said:

IN                                                                                     Out

Roster:

Bo

Schenn

Lazar

Stillman

Prospect:

Wyatt Kalynuk

Picks

2023 2nd.

Roster:

Beauviler

Hronek

Prospect:

Raty

Bloom

Picks

2023- 3rd

2023 – 4th

2023 – 4th

2024 – 4th

I actually like how this lines up.  It seems like significant effort to improve and address some needs.

Why not include the 1st and 2nd we paid out?

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

IN                                                                                     Out

Roster:

Bo

Schenn

Lazar

Stillman

Prospect:

Wyatt Kalynuk

Picks

2023 2nd.

Roster:

Beauviler

Hronek

Prospect:

Raty

Bloom

Picks

2023- 3rd

2023 – 4th

2023 – 4th

2024 – 4th

add Kravtsov too

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Guile said:

SO, one big circled date on the calendar has passed. What are the top few moves from our CDC GMs for the betterment of this franchise between now and next season that are at least partially realistic/expected (ie no trading OEL or landing Bedard type miracles)?

Obvious things we'd probably all like to see: 

Lose aplenty, draft an elite C prospect with our 2023 1st

Sign RD College FA Jake Livingstone

Trade Myers 50% retained after his July 1 bonus

Things I think we're likely to see:

JT Miller remains a Canuck

Pearson is moved or bought out, and no, I haven't checked if a buyout is logical

Dermott not resigned

RD Filip Johansson makes the 23-man starting roster

OEL remains a Canuck (I don't want that buyout but I'd desperately like to see him playing 3 LD minutes / role)

Things I'd really like to see:

Garland traded/packaged for a YOUNG, developing D (not an older Marcus Pettersson or equivalent win-now option) or pick(s) after having a strong finish to the year playing top 6 under Tocchet.

Bear re-signed if the cap hit matches a 3 RD price.

A Boeser trade in off-season so he gets a fresh start OR one last chance for a calm, healing off-season to revive his game, making him a logical 2024 TDL trade while NOT depressed in value.

No premium FA signings

2023-24 Opening Night Lineup

Kuzmenko - EP - Beauvilier

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Kravtsov - Raty - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Aman - Studnicka/Joshua

L. Karlsson

Hughes - Livingstone

XXXX (Garland D?) - Hronek

OEL - Bear

XXXX - Johansson

Demko

Cheap backup (leave Silovs in Abby 1 more year)

We need two top 4 Dmen still.

Unreasonable to think Livingstone could just slot into the top pair if he signed here. Also not fair to Hughes to pair him with a rookie.

We need to trade Garland and Myers and either buyout OEL or trade Boeser.

This management group has a TON of work to do and it’s getting even harder.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent post. Our prospect pool is improving and will after the draft too. I really wanted to hang on to the conditional 1st - and was hoping we could get another or a 2nd at the deadline - but do understand we had to give up to get more immediate help with a young RHD.

It's pretty obvious how Abby is improving, and will continue to do so. We're not rushing guys into the league. If there's anything I do like, it's the direction we're taking with developing prospects. 

Abby could be stocked with great prospects  and some would still say we have no prospects. 

But how many are at C and right D. 1 of each. That is not great and overvalues many of these players. 
‘System is better than it was when the new group took over but still needs a lot of work.