The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

I’d let Bear, Juulsen, and Dermott walk. Re sign Wolanin, Brisebois, Burroughs. Trade Myers. Sign Livingstone.

Hughes/Livingstone

Wolanin/Hronek

OEL/Brisebois

Burroughs

Assuming we don’t splash for a LHD or a cheap RHD.

Holtby/Virtanen/Horvat cap of $3.7M should be off the books. 

Trade Myers, Boeser and that’s $16M right there to reinvest. 

Edited by Odd.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't think he's the answer to Hughes, but he's not worthless either, he definitely hasn't hurt the team especially since Tocchet has come in I'm fine with a 1 year deal even at the 2.2 range depending on who and what we can move out Myers/Boeser/Pearson etc. 

Worthless? Who said that? 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't think he's the answer to Hughes, but he's not worthless either, he definitely hasn't hurt the team especially since Tocchet has come in I'm fine with a 1 year deal even at the 2.2 range depending on who and what we can move out Myers/Boeser/Pearson etc. 

Nobody said he was worthless.  He's a 5/6 Dman on a good team and a 7th Dman on a Stanley Cup contender.  We already have our 2nd pairing guy who is also on the smaller side.  And Bear isn't a top pairing guy for Hughes.  So, he either needs to play on the 3rd pairing or he's not playing.  Like I said, we can't afford to be paying guys $2.5-3 million to be 3rd pairing guys.  We need to manage the cap better.  Bottom pairing guys can be had for league minimum...

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, $2.2 million per capfriendly.  He's currently on a $2.2 million contract, will be RFA after this season, and NHL's website explaining QO's says the QO needs to be 100% of player salary requirement to retain RFA's rights.  So unfortunately, 

if anything over $1.5 million is a bad idea, then so is the QO.

Thanks; I didn't see it there at first; went back after your post and learned a thing or two.

My conclusion: bye bye Bear (cheapest way possible); definitely not worth $2.2m.

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’d let Bear, Juulsen, and Dermott walk. Re sign Wolanin, Brisebois, Burroughs. Trade Myers. Sign Livingstone.

Hughes/Livingstone

Wolanin/Hronek

OEL/Brisebois

Burroughs

Assuming we don’t splash for a LHD or a cheap RHD.

Holtby/Virtanen/Horvat cap of $3.7M should be off the books. 

Trade Myers, Boeser and that’s $16M right there to reinvest. 

Wolanin isn't going to be in our top 4 next year and neither is Livingstone, unless you want to miss the playoffs again.  They are 3rd pairing guys right now.  Wolanin is a UFA so probably gets a decent offer somewhere else.  I am sure management will go hard after Graves or Gavrikov to play with Hronek on the 2nd pairing.  No sure who is gonna play with Hughes.  If our draft pick is in the 8-10 range I wouldn't be shocked if they traded it for a top 2 pairing guy...

I don't think we should sign anybody we don't have to.

And definitely no UFAs.

Lets get some ROOM and keep it.

Clear the decks as much as possible.

Only the good stay here.

Then we will have the player numbers and cap space to trade for what we really, really need.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I don't think Poolman is gonna play again.  LTIR for the rest of his contract. 

46 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am genuinely curious. Is Poolman like, done-done as a player? Cause Arizona took Weber's contract which is longer and all it cost was a 5th rounder. I'd do a 4th just to remove Poolboy. Although, ideally I'd rather it be closer to that 5th rounder price it cost to remove Weber's contract.

I mean he skated last week with the extras…a guy who is done-done wouldn’t be skating 

Bear's value to the Canucks will depend on what the Canucks do with college free agents (especially Jake Livingstone) and other potential entry-level free agents. Bear's QO of 2.2 million is on the high side for the 3rd pairing.

Myers' situation is also relevant. Myers could end up as a 3rd pairing RD with a cap hit of 6 million. (The Canucks will try to trade Myers. His contract is buyout proof. The Canucks would save more cap space by putting him on waivers and sending him to Abby than by buying him out.)

The other point is that Bear has arbitration rights. That creates uncertainty. In arbitration his agent could say "hey, this guy is a top 4 D-man on the Canucks" (which is true). The Canucks will counter with "he was not even top 6 in Carolina" (which is also true) but who knows where the number will land. It could easily be in the $3 million range and that is way too much for the Canucks,

I think the Canucks will either sign or let him walk rather than qualify him. My guess is $2.2 million for one year. I agree that the concussion issue raises red flags regarding any kind of term.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I don't think we should sign anybody we don't have to.

And definitely no UFAs.

Lets get some ROOM and keep it.

Clear the decks as much as possible.

Only the good stay here.

Then we will have the player numbers and cap space to trade for what we really, really need.

The good may want to make the playoffs next year. The defense will need some definite work over the summer to ensure that it's competitive. Merely adding Hronek doesn't solve that. 

Starting to think most this fanbase is about to be mind blown by hronek ability if this many people ( not just here but all over social media ) think bear is this great defenseman haha. Man's a quality defender, nothing special. We have just had a decade of some of the worst dmen to ever play the game all at once on our roster.

He's like the ideal depth guy you want to fill in for hronek / Hughes puck moving ability ect. I'd try to keep him around on a 1 year like I said before but I'm not doing the 3x3 ish like I see soo many suggest. That's insanity lol

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Pearson will likely never return. 

atleast Ferland is off the books July 1st. 

Edited by GhostsOf1994

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You aren't taking the cap into consideration here.  You can't be paying 5/6 Dmen $3 million.  Schenn at $1.15 million is perfectly fine on the 3rd pairing.  Or another UFA signing.  If they sign Livingstone who is 6'4" and 205 pounds then they don't need Bear either.

At the end of the day, we have our guy now in Hronek who will play on the 2nd pairing.  Still looking for a guy to play with Hughes.  Not sold on Bear being the guy long term with Hughes, too small of a top pairing.

Signing Livingstone, bringing back Schenn + Juulsen does make Bear more expendable. Could see a Bear extension waiting until last minute unless he takes a haircut 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The good may want to make the playoffs next year. The defense will need some definite work over the summer to ensure that it's competitive. Merely adding Hronek doesn't solve that. 

You always try to do your best and maybe we make the playoffs; but I think we need another (almost full) year before we need to make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Signing Livingstone, bringing back Schenn + Juulsen does make Bear more expendable. Could see a Bear extension waiting until last minute unless he takes a haircut 

I think Bear is an option only if other things don't come together.  This is why negotiations broke down.  They do not want to commit to Bear until they see what happens with their other options.  He is plan B or even C.  If he was plan A they would have extended him already...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You always try to do your best and maybe we make the playoffs; but I think we need another (almost full) year before we need to make the playoffs.

You think Pettersson and Hughes are interested in another year of missing them? I'm thinking AiLvin doesn't think so, or he wouldn't have traded for Hronek. 

• Upvote 1