The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Agree with most people here. 

I like Bear a lot and think they should resign him. If the options are 1 or 3 year deals go with 1 for under 2million. Our D is in a transition period I think with Meyers only having 1 year left, so no need to overcommit right now. 

This implies that you lowball Ethan and then play chicken.. His QO is 2.2

Someone else will snap him up for 2 mil. 

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

off-to-work-leaving.gif

It's, not "low balling" to pay someone their market value. 

• Like 2
  • elephant 1

6 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Or we really like him and sign him to a 3 year deal at 1.8 per? Likely though, after we sign Livingston, Bear is let go. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

A one year deal is fine, he's settled in well since getting here but I'm still not convinced he's a longer term option anyway. If we can upgrade on him as we overhaul our defense we should. 

Well Dermott back in the mix will help us out, lots have forgotten about him in discussions but he's a really good Dman who has a good first pass, reads well, and seldom makes mistakes when he's on his game. 

The only 3rd line center we need is a big fast one, whatever his name is doesn't matter as long as he has those 3 qualities. If we don't get that, more of the same season success and dumped first round... 

I'm hoping that ship sailed and our GM's remember what a gruelling battle it is to win a cup, yeah we did get some size in the recent trades but we can't back off from that or back to the same ole, idk about you but a reg season soft depthless team is not on my wishlist. 

We've been there done that.. over and over.. when we did toughen up we lacked depth and therefore no cup then either.

This is getting tiring to say the least, something has to give. 

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or we really like him and sign him to a 3 year deal at 1.8 per? Likely though, after we sign Livingston, Bear is let go. 

If Livingstone were signing with us, yes totally.. 

If his QO is 2.2m, someone will pay him at least 2 because it means we didn't.

I stick by my 3yx2.67m

5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

If Livingstone were signing with us, yes totally.. 

If his QO is 2.2m, someone will pay him at least 2 because it means we didn't.

I stick by my 3yx2.67m

If we are going longer term, then go five years at 2 per. 10 mil is a lot for Bear. Might even get him at 1.8 per over a long term. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If people think Bear is a top 4 Dman, then they will probably think that Hronek is a hall of famer...

To be fair, it's been like.. close to ten years since we've had a qualified top 4, maybe people have forgotten what top 4 D actually look like.. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

Bear has a little bit more utility than Stech, but I do see them as equals. 

Really wish we all had an inkling towards what Myers and OEL ultimate fates are... Until then we'll be sucking the hind teet, wishing we knew.

I'd like Ethan Bear 3 years / 8.01m for 2.67aav 

Who says no?

I would say no, this may come off as hyperbolic but I truly think Livingstone could come in tomorrow and be better than Bear. We can find a cheaper 3rd pair option. Bear is a solid 3rd pair that can play 2nd pair on occasion. But he should likely not be used regularly in the top 4 if you want to actually make the playoffs. Whether or not we get Livingstone is irrelevant to overpaying Bear. We should be stockpiling cap for a true top 4. Whether Livingstone or some other guy in trade/FA.

Run Burroughs on the 3rd pair for all I care if it means we can use Bear's cap for a true top 4 to compliment Hronek, OEL and Hughes. Just cause we have his RFA rights doesn't mean we need to pay him the 2.2mil QO. We can negotiate, find out what he wants, if it's more than 2.2mil. Just let him walk. The league is top heavy on cap. These middling guys don't cash out as much as before with top end guys making 10+mil now.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The league is top heavy on cap. These middling guys don't cash out as much as before with top end guys making 10+mil now.

Yup, half of CDC wants to pay him like it's not flat cap and depth guys aren't taking near league min just to stay in the league.

2 hours ago, Western Red said:

Bear has a little bit more utility than Stech, but I do see them as equals. 

Really wish we all had an inkling towards what Myers and OEL ultimate fates are... Until then we'll be sucking the hind teet, wishing we knew.

I'd like Ethan Bear 3 years / 8.01m for 2.67aav 

Who says no?

1 year maybe 2 max at 2 mill a season.Anymore is an overpayment for him.

• Cheers 1