The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

1 year maybe 2 max at 2 mill a season.Anymore is an overpayment for him.

His qualifying offer is 2.2 million so in order to retain his rights we have to offer at least 2.2 mil. Otherwise he is a UFA.

Edited by coryberg
  • Thanks 1

This depends, if we sign Livingstone that means a bit less pressure for RHD. We would have Hronek, Myers and Livingstone, Canucks could bring Schenn or Burroughs back and Juulsen I think could be a younger version of Schenn...not as physical, not Cups obviously but he is significantly younger than Schenn and could be locked up to a Brisebois contract. Meaning is they can make the NHL roster next year thats super cheap D signed.

I would wait and not rush to sign Bear, see how the College FA situation pans out and the draft. I would wait till after the draft or right after July 1st before signing Bear. If Canucks pay 5m then trade Myers on July 2nd we could then save say 4m and sign Bear to a 3yr 2m cap hit deal? I would prefer it be under 2m but with his arb rights the one thing in Vanccouver's favour is the apparent desire Bear had to be a Canuck...maybe he signs for cheap to remain here on say a 3 yr deal between 1.5m but under 2m cap hit deal?

4 hours ago, Western Red said:

Bear has a little bit more utility than Stech, but I do see them as equals. 

Really wish we all had an inkling towards what Myers and OEL ultimate fates are... Until then we'll be sucking the hind teet, wishing we knew.

I'd like Ethan Bear 3 years / 8.01m for 2.67aav 

Who says no?

Vancouver would I hope

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Sign him to his QO. 1 year show me deal. He is probably going to be on the 3rd pair next year anyways. I wouldn't give him anything over 2.5 if it's a 3 year.

There is the danger he elects arbitration, we can’t walk away from anything less than $4.5 million.

RHD who has played 18 minutes a night and .3 PPG?  He has an argument for $3 million plus.  We would have to rally lay out a case that he was in that role just because of a lack of options.

In any case, having a pending arbitration means it handcuffs us for other moves until late summer as we have to keep enough space for a higher award.

If we don’t come to a deal before a QO is needed we probably need to walk away. This is going to play out with a lot of RFAs this summer and why I really wanted cap space in the offseason.  Good young players will shake loose and be available to a team that has cap space and can give them opportunity.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is the danger he elects arbitration, we can’t walk away from anything less than $4.5 million.

RHD who has played 18 minutes a night and .3 PPG?  He has an argument for $3 million plus.  We would have to rally lay out a case that he was in that role just because of a lack of options.

In any case, having a pending arbitration means it handcuffs us for other moves until late summer as we have to keep enough space for a higher award.

If we don’t come to a deal before a QO is needed we probably need to walk away. This is going to play out with a lot of RFAs this summer and why I really wanted cap space in the offseason.  Good young players will shake loose and be available to a team that has cap space and can give them opportunity.

Good point. I wasn't thinking about the arbitration angle. From the sounds of it (talks breaking down) they are pretty far apart, guessing the nucks are around 2 and bears agent is at 3.5. If that's the case I'm fine cutting bait. Kind of wish we could have traded him at the deadline. I guess there is always the chance we could trade his rights before the draft if negotiations don't go well.

People are quick to handwave Bear away. He's not a #6, he's a competent #4 or very good #5. Your not likely getting a better option than him for as cheap or cheaper than he'll be in the short term. Guys like Juulsen & Schenn are a significant downgrade imo.

Stecher is the same level of player but I'd prefer Bear as he is a bit bigger, a better skater, and scores more. Also younger. Big name UFA options Severson & Dumba are older & going to cost alot more $$$ + term. Same with Gavrikov.  

The reason I like Bear is he's shown he can play well with both Quinn Hughes & Oliver Ekman-Larsson, I think having that utility to play well anywhere is valuable in your secondary players, and its not a given.

Schenn didn't work well with OEL, Tyler Myers hasn't been great with Quinn, back in the day (despite them being our best D) Bieksa & Edler just never seemed to work well together. 

Not pretending he's the answer to our defense, or suggesting we should overpay, but something starting with a 2 for 2 years is fine imo. I think this is an opportunity for us to get value. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

Bear has done well playing more in the bottom pairings but seems to struggle when matched up with Hughes and getting top shutdown minutes.

Not sure how much you pay for a guy that bring that but with Hronek and Myers currently ahead on the depth chart it shouldn't be too much, especially considering that Juulsen is playing well.

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Bear has done well playing more in the bottom pairings but seems to struggle when matched up with Hughes and getting top shutdown minutes.

Not sure how much you pay for a guy that bring that but with Hronek and Myers currently ahead on the depth chart it shouldn't be too much, especially considering that Juulsen is playing well.

And we will very likely get Livingston. 

• There it is 1

Bear QO is $2.2M (from what posters say…didn’t check).  That means Canucks need to at least offer a 1yr x 2.2M by a certain date to retain his rights and get compensation if some other teams signs him.

However, Canucks can certainly offer him less if they so choose and Bear can accept it as well.

So if Canucks offer 1yr x $2M, Bear can accept that if he so chooses. Or say Canucks offer 3yr x $1.5M, maybe Bear would want a longer term contract at lesser pay.

I’m not sure Bear is a top 4D.  Looks more like a bottom 6D. 

20 hours ago, Diamonds said:

If he ends up being only a bottom pair guy, sure. But so far Bear is ahead of them and looks to have more potential. Johansson is obviously a wildcard but I'm not getting my hopes up too high before he plays a game in North America.

Bear has proven to be a #5 that can play top 4 spot duty, the question is whether he can up his game to be a consistent #4. Burroughs has shown to be a competent 6/7 guy but not more than that. Juulsen might still have more upside to him, but he's also at best a 6/7 guy right now. Schenn is a great leader and has chemistry with Hughes, but he's only a 5/6 guy which forces other defensemen to double-shift with Hughes and he is going to start slowing down with age.

I agree with this. If we are going to pay the guy above 2m, he really needs to bring noticeably more than the fringe guys. Contrary to what some have indicated, I don't believe he's a top 4 defenseman whatsoever on any good team, and as pointed out, he couldn't even stay on the 3rd pairing on the Hurricanes. This isn't to say he won't improve, and I DO like him, but given the choice between his reasonably solid play and Schenn's muscle, I'd actually pick Schenn to make that 2m+. To me, he makes more of an impact - although you're certainly correct that he will slow down over time. With that said, he had a great year and hopefully, ideally, we're really only talking about the next couple of years...

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Bear QO is $2.2M (from what posters say…didn’t check).  That means Canucks need to at least offer a 1yr x 2.2M by a certain date to retain his rights and get compensation if some other teams signs him.

However, Canucks can certainly offer him less if they so choose and Bear can accept it as well.

So if Canucks offer 1yr x $2M, Bear can accept that if he so chooses. Or say Canucks offer 3yr x $1.5M, maybe Bear would want a longer term contract at lesser pay.

I’m not sure Bear is a top 4D.  Looks more like a bottom 6D. 

Agent Jason Davidson on Ethan Bear contract talks : "We have not spoken since all-star game, sometimes when you do not agree you tend to shut it down."

"Ethan is willing to do a 1 year show me deal where as im guessing this team doesn't want to walk this right handed d-man to free agency either. So that's our concern, those free agency years aren't free and they have to be compensated for."

Bears team has dug in, I can't see a world where they accept anything under the QO.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree with this. If we are going to pay the guy above 2m, he really needs to bring noticeably more than the fringe guys. Contrary to what some have indicated, I don't believe he's a top 4 defenseman whatsoever on any good team, and as pointed out, he couldn't even stay on the 3rd pairing on the Hurricanes. This isn't to say he won't improve, and I DO like him, but given the choice between his reasonably solid play and Schenn's muscle, I'd actually pick Schenn to make that 2m+. To me, he makes more of an impact - although you're certainly correct that he will slow down over time. With that said, he had a great year and hopefully, ideally, we're really only talking about the next couple of years...

He was removed from the lineup do to a trade request. He never played himself off the 3rd pair.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Agent Jason Davidson on Ethan Bear contract talks : "We have not spoken since all-star game, sometimes when you do not agree you tend to shut it down."

"Ethan is willing to do a 1 year show me deal where as im guessing this team doesn't want to walk this right handed d-man to free agency either. So that's our concern, those free agency years aren't free and they have to be compensated for."

Bears team has dug in, I can't see a world where they accept anything under the QO.

Most likely as good as gone