The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Kirill Kudryavtsev

Nice! Kudryavtsev’s game looked looked much closer to pro level at the last camp than I ever expected and he’s had a pretty strong season since. Good to see him rewarded and the Canucks showing faith in him.

He’s slide eligible and the contract starts 2023-24, which effectively gives the Canucks the next 4 seasons with him on this ELC (he’s going back to the OHL next season).

Lots of runway for his development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Doesn't matter if it's different, or if he never plays a game in the NHL.  It's just fun to watch Canucks draftees develop into prospects.  Watching these players grow up is half the fun of being a hardcore fan.  I just wish we stopped trading them away like Pokemon cards.

1st, 2nd, 7th, how about all the draft picks!  

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s slide eligible and the contract starts 2023-24, which effectively gives the Canucks the next 4 seasons with him on this ELC (he’s going back to the OHL next season).

I've read the Chris Faber tweet that he's going back to the OHL next season, but what is he basing that on?  Did he talk to someone or is he assuming that Kirill has to go back to the OHL? 

Happy for him and was a great draft pick. Majority of us have loved this pick since the draft and watching him develop.

huge win if he even ever laces the skates up for any nhl games let alone actually becomes a player. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I've read the Chris Faber tweet that he's going back to the OHL next season, but what is he basing that on?  Did he talk to someone or is he assuming that Kirill has to go back to the OHL? 

He wouldn’t be AHL eligible until 2024-25, as he won’t turn 20 under next February.

So he’d either need to make the NHL team, or go back to the OHL for another season.

Faber probably confirmed it, but even if not, it’s a pretty safe assumption.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He blocked me for having the nerve to say Pittsburgh could drop out of the playoffs behind the Islanders, The Islanders have since beat Pittsburgh twice and have the second hottest record in the NHL since the deadline. :)

Love the folks that speak in absolutes and flip out when you disagree. Whatever, it's just the way it be.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Doesn't matter if it's different, or if he never plays a game in the NHL.  It's just fun to watch Canucks draftees develop into prospects.  Watching these players grow up is half the fun of being a hardcore fan.  I just wish we stopped trading them away like Pokemon cards.

Nobody tell this guy we have 7 picks in this draft.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, Kudryavtsev was signed to a 3-year ELC, but he's staying in the OHL?  Why did they sign him now?

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I like the kid a lot dont really see why he needed to be signed though. That could wait. 

It is unusual for a 7th round pick to be signed this soon. But I can think of the following reasons.

1. By signing him the Canucks eliminate the small risk that he decides not to sign with the Canucks.

2. It is a goodwill gesture. And he can probably use the money. Assuming he stays in the OHL next year his contract will slide and he won't receive the salary, but he gets his signing bonus right away and that is probably worth a lot to him.

3. Assuming his contract slides, it won't count against the 50 contract limit, so this does not reduce the Canucks' available contract lots for college and other entry-level free agents.

4. Kiril has had a very good year, well above the expected value for a 7th round pick -- maybe closer to what you would expect from a 2nd or 3rd rounder (as suggested by Milstein),

5. I am still a bit surprised, though. I wonder if other young guys who want contracts with Canucks are considering firing their agents and hiring Dan Milstein instead. I have kind of been hoping to see Wolanin and Juulsen re-signed.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1