The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sure, if we have the cap space to keep him. Something has to give this summer, trading Myers is one of the options to clear up space. 

I'd be looking to move a longer term deal, if possible, than one that's coming off the books in a year anyway and Myers is still going to need a sweetener to move I think.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is good news, but maybe folks need to temper their expectations.

He is still less likely to be an NHL regular than a career AHL player.  If we get a 3rd/4th liner we should be extremely happy

He’s going to start his career this season. So, it’s definitely about tempering expectations, but, I, you, and the rest of us only wish him the best. 

The kid sounds and plays smart. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd be looking to move a longer term deal, if possible, than one that's coming off the books in a year anyway and Myers is still going to need a sweetener to move I think.  

I don't think so with Myers. One year, big righty. Some team will need his services. But he has to keep up his decent play to close out the year. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't think so with Myers. One year, big righty. Some team will need his services. But he has to keep up his decent play to close out the year. 

Not a lot of teams can or will take on that cap hit

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said I’m not very objective on that. But if you’d like I can send you my 300 page thesis on why I think Petey is better than McDavid.  <_<

Only 300 pages?!?

500 or you ain’t a real EP homer!

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

Good. Now that we (may) have wooed him here with our recent run of success, we can get back to the business of tanking before it's too late. He'll understand.

I’m pretty sure that’s mostly humour with a solid dose of irony, but though GMs understand tanking, I don’t think coaches and players like it much. Pretty sure Hughes, Pettersson and Demko would hate it.

If we can get our cap straightened out with a judicious Myers trade, we look to have an interesting lineup for next year, and a really competitive camp. I don’t see how returning Poolman or Dermott will improve over the kids we have playing right now. Even if he gets healthy,  i don’t see how Pearson can make the team. It’s pretty clear who the centres are, unless we have a miracle at the lottery (since the new draft, miracles in terms of pushing seem to be restricted to the east - like it’s some kind of algorithm the NHL has permanently built in. No wonder the drop of the ping pong balls happens in secrecy. 

Unless we have one more horror show of a schedule, we should be a playoff team next year. Interesting to see how much improvement has been built into next year’s D. The pressure is really going to be on for wingers - we have an army of them on either side. Centre ice is thin - an injury to Pettersson would likely torpedo a winning season. The remainder of the season in Abby is going to be really a harbinger of Canucks future. Lot’s of promise: Raty, Karlsson, Hoglander, Bains, Klimovich have all showed considerable growth. Kravtsov will have to show some finish to keep his job. Then there is, what do we have in McDonough? If there are a couple of promising pivots among the college free agents, the Canucks may want to take a flyer on a couple.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

From a recent comparable standpoint how would he compare to Jonah Gadjovich

This guy actually has skill. Gadjovich based most of his junior career bullying kids half his size in front of the net. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Let Adan compete with Brock. If that still doesn’t light a fire under Boeser’s ass, we trade him in the off-season. 

One player that can’t live up to their contract. Another player that costs less that might do more. 

Just saying. 

Boeser is a terrible contract

43 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

One player that can’t live up to their contract. Another player that costs less that might do more. 

Just saying. 

Boeser is a terrible contract

I'm convinced that Boeser will do a lot better next season. I'm not ready to give up on him and his contract.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said I’m not very objective on that. But if you’d like I can send you my 300 page thesis on why I think Petey is better than McDavid.  <_<

To the best of my knowledge Gretzky has never said McDavid reminds him of himself, but he has said that of Petey

• There it is 2