The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Oliver Ekman-Larsson buyout is the only way the Canucks can re-tool the defence

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Should we just be copy and pasting full articles from for profit websites?

My posts are always free ;)

Go as far back as you'd like - there's even some bickering about Hunter Shinkaruk vis a vis Markus Granlund.

I may have even defended the OEL trade...

Edited by nergish
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would pause considering a buyout and hope there's a GM somewhere that values OEL the same way Benning did. 

He has a 2-team trade list that we were a part of with Boston, hence why tons of people were in uproar with what we had to give up, seeing as how Arizona had obviously soured on OEL. Only thing that could happen is for him to waive his full NMC, which is unlikely. 

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He has a 2-team trade list that we were a part of with Boston, hence why tons of people were in uproar with what we had to give up, seeing as how Arizona had obviously soured on OEL. Only thing that could happen is for him to waive his full NMC, which is unlikely. 

They had soured yeah but the contract was structured to be traded and he had $31.5 M over three years due him as the contract ballooned in the middle. 
They were desperate to get out of that money and we should have been receiving a first or more for taking that contract, not giving one away.  Don’t think there is another GM bad enough in the league to do what Benning did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Read that yesterday ........doesn't come across any less stupid here than it did on FB

That's what I thought, but it was presented in such a way that I wondered if I'm not in the minority on this one (or if I'm just straight up wrong).

Alvin has already said he doesn't want to do any buyouts, but I wonder if this is something they've started to actually consider?

Or is it just media/fan conjecture?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

That's what I thought, but it was presented in such a way that I wondered if I'm not in the minority on this one (or if I'm just straight up wrong).

Alvin has already said he doesn't want to do any buyouts, but I wonder if this is something they've started to actually consider?

Paid 22M for 2 years.  Buyout 19M. So 41M for 2 years here. Don’t think FA is going to swallow that. 
People keep saying the cap increase should cover the buyout costs but nobody thinks about the fact that when the cap goes up so do the player contracts. 
When the cap finally jumps we are going to see some crazy contracts. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Matthews next contract with TO be $15M/year. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Might be a backup plan given other teams don't seem to be interested in our players. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Paid 22M for 2 years.  Buyout 19M. So 41M for 2 years here. Don’t think FA is going to swallow that. 
People keep saying the cap increase should cover the buyout costs but nobody thinks about the fact that when the cap goes up so do the player contracts. 
When the cap finally jumps we are going to see some crazy contracts. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Matthews next contract with TO be $15M/year. 

Exactly.  If I were a player agent, I'd be negotiating on % of the cap limit.  If you negotiate in real dollars, you're already setting up your client to leave dollars on the table unless the comparables were really, really recent.

An OEL buyout would be historically large.  They won't do it without being certain that he is permanently as bad as he's looked for most of this year.  If he's been hurt for most of this season, they will know that and cut him some slack.  The first option is still to recuperate some value out of him so I doubt they make any drastic moves before at least trying him on a pairing with Hronek.   It looks like they can be cap compliant for next year without buying him out even if they can't move off of any of our wingers.  The main reason for a buyout would be to go after a free agent D like Gavrikov.  Personally, I'd rather just re-up Wollanin and wait for D-Petey to be ready in 2-3 years. 

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck

Nice analysis Noah!

Initially, I would have said absolutely no way. The team is retooling and 3 seasons later is when we are ready to compete but then we are on the hook for 4+ mil in cap for two seasons and 2+ mil for the following 4 seasons. That's 6 seasons of cap inefficiency just when our window should truly open.

And, I still lean towards no. 

But at this point, I'd at least wait to see how much increase in cap we are going to get. If we will have enough space to sign a top 4LD without OEL buyout, I'd do that and just put OEL on the third pairing getting 15 minutes a game and no more than 18 minutes, assuming he is free of injury. He will need a fleet footed partner to help out with puck retrieval. 

Also, if the cap increases significantly, maybe the cost to dump his contract on another team gets a bit more palatable. We need to explore every avenue possible to either dump his contract without too much strain on our cap or play him in a situation where he won't be a liability.

We can re-sign Wolanin and have Breezer, Wolanin, and OEL share the 3LD position. Reduce the workload on OEL and see how he does, especially if his injury is something that is permanent and at which point, we can put him on the LTIR.

Buyout is too terminal. It's like death. Can't be undone... 

58 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If the cost were a late 1st, I think that would have been more palatable.

It was determined that our pick was 9th overall at the time of the trade. 9th overall don't get traded around these days unless you are getting back a player in his prime.

We had 12 mil coming off our books if we waited one season and with COVID cap crunch, we would have been able to acquire good players cheaply.

A short sighted move that got extremely worse because OEL has physically deteriorated more than initially imagined. 

Buying out OEL is not the ONLY way to revamp the D core.  The other way is to unload 2 players -- Myers and one of Boeser/Garland.

Trading Myers and Boeser/Garland gives us over $10M in cap space next year and ~$5M in each of the following 2 seasons.  That includes major increases for Petey, Kuzmenko, and Hronek.  As well as a UFA signing of Gavrikov at $4.5M AAV.

Personally I think OEL would be a very effective blueliner if he were playing only 10 to 12min a night.  No different than how effective Erik Johnson has been on the 3rd pair in COL making $6M per year.  Of course he's overpaid, but if you're replacing OEL with Brisebois or another player, you really should be adding the cap hit from the buyout to the replacement player's cap hit.  So is OEL at $7.26M that much worse than a $1M AAV 3LHD at the following cap hits for the next 4 years?

2023-24 - $1.1M

2024-25 - $3.3M

2025-26 - $5.8M

2026-27 - $5.8M

That's the true cost of a replacement 3LHD for OEL over the next 4 years. 

Personally, I rather keep OEL knowing we have depth guys that could step up at any point if needed.  Who knows, if Erik Karlsson can find his game again, why can't OEL find his defensive game again?  That's all we really need.  A reliable defensive LHD.

image.png.72f46789ed9b94ebb8a2e291bdd8dbe1.png

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think CA’s analysis quality has been slipping. They are less vitriol now but less analysis too.  

‘You are writing an article about buying out OEL but only discuss one option. 
‘What does the buyout look like next year or the year after when the ballooning part of his contract is paid. 
The buyout this season is least likely option.  It is too much money period. $40M for 2 years of work is not something FA is likely to sign off on. 
‘My expectation is he will be back, see how he looks healthy in Tocchet’s system, hopefully with a better partner. At this point most likely seems OEL-Bear as second pairing but college UFAs and the rest of the off-season may change that.

‘I know everyone thinks they are going to saddle Hronek with him but they didn’t burn that many assets for Hronek if they weren’t expecting him to play with Q. 

1 hour ago, cocanuck said:

He wont retire and much like all others on the blueline he had no chance playing against other teams top players with the teams defensive structure and no help from the forwards.  He is still a good player that will be fine when healthy and with the team playing better defensively as a whole.  Cant afford to buy him out.  Coaching can make a huge difference for his play

Maybe OEL gets healthy and fit enough to play on our second pairing and be carried by Hronek? He could play PK too. Then next summer, when Hronek is do his new contract we buyout OEL?

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think CA’s analysis quality has been slipping. They are less vitriol now but less analysis too.  

‘You are writing an article about buying out OEL but only discuss one option. 
‘What does the buyout look like next year or the year after when the ballooning part of his contract is paid. 
The buyout this season is least likely option.  It is too much money period. $40M for 2 years of work is not something FA is likely to sign off on. 
‘My expectation is he will be back, see how he looks healthy in Tocchet’s system, hopefully with a better partner. At this point most likely seems OEL-Bear as second pairing but college UFAs and the rest of the off-season may change that.

‘I know everyone thinks they are going to saddle Hronek with him but they didn’t burn that many assets for Hronek if they weren’t expecting him to play with Q. 

Hronek with Hughes would be one of the best D pairs on the league. Heck, Hughes with Bear was very good too. Hughes with AHL D works. Hughes is an amazing player. If Hronek anchors our second pairing then we have one of those two on the ice for 50 minutes. 
I wonder how many minutes OEL can manage? 15? 

• Like 1

OEL had a couple very good seasons under Tocchet. 

Granted that was a few years ago, but perhaps a full season of good health and actual 'team structure' with the new coaching staff (including Foote) could prove beneficial to his game.  Find him an actual NHL defenceman who will be responsible in his own end to pair him with and don't play him every single shift against McJesus/MacKinnon/Raantanen/Crosby/Kuch/ect.... then after one or two more seasons, his buyout is way, way more realistic. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

OEL had a couple very good seasons under Tocchet. 

Granted that was a few years ago, but perhaps a full season of good health and actual 'team structure' with the new coaching staff (including Foote) could prove beneficial to his game.  Find him an actual NHL defenceman who will be responsible in his own end to pair him with and don't play him every single shift against McJesus/MacKinnon/Raantanen/Crosby/Kuch/ect.... then after one or two more seasons, his buyout is way, way more realistic. 

We have a great player now in Hronek to carry OEL on our second pairing. 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Unless Benning returns to Boston ? :bigblush:

• Haha 2