The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Mar. 19, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Hronek, Kuz. That’s a great young core. As a group they are at the right age to compete. We need to continue to retool the supporting cast.

Unless you believe our core isn’t good enough? But that would be calling for a rebuild and moving our key core guys for pucks and drafting a new core. 

Are they good enough to make playoffs? With a decent start maybe they do. We all hope Hronek is a 2D but I can’t say that yet. If he is then all we have to do is find a #3, #4D. Then we have to get a C3 that is a serious PK talent. So no we are not a serious Cup contender yet. 

I agree that this core is one that can be built around. That is why I wanted a high draft pick. It would have filled one of those critical needs at C  on the D. We still might get that but I wanted the best odds we could get. The Canucks have a far better prospect pool which could also provide one of those key players. Better prospects and better development. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are they good enough to make playoffs? With a decent start maybe they do. We all hope Hronek is a 2D but I can’t say that yet. If he is then all we have to do is find a #3, #4D. Then we have to get a C3 that is a serious PK talent. So no we are not a serious Cup contender yet. 

I agree that this core is one that can be built around. That is why I wanted a high draft pick. It would have filled one of those critical needs at C  on the D. We still might get that but I wanted the best odds we could get. The Canucks have a far better prospect pool which could also provide one of those key players. Better prospects and better development. 

They are getting a high draft pick and there's some great potential where they will be picking 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Or maybe the good teams are coasting and the bad teams are trying to lose?

Until they can do it right out of the gate these late season pushes will always be in vain.

Yeah kings sure coasted outshooting the canucks over 2-1 :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I'm not sure why people keep posting comments like this. They haven't had a winning record over the final 20 games of any season in the last 10 years. Yes they had a good record over a very specific 12-game span to end last year as they desperately chased a playoff spot, but there is zero evidence that this is any kind of pattern. Am I looking at the wrong stats, or are people just making crap up?

Canuckfan is just making crap up as usual. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Canuckfan is just making crap up as usual. 

The only thing that is usual is your obsession with my comments. What stuff have I made up? I said the amount of wins last year at the end of the season pushed us out of a higher pick which is what is happening now. Is that made up or just a fact? You just have this weird obsession with whatever I post. You can comment on other posts and make things up about them if that floats your boat and are looking for attention. Overall the comments from the team about needing to be better and taking the next step have happened at the beginning of the last two years and nothing has translated. We will see next year.

Canuck73_3:

cm punk wwe GIF

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, ey40 said:

I don’t see any facts that support your argument about good teams coasting and bad team tanking, but I did see the Canucks play better defensively since the coaching change. 

The big concern we Canucks fan have should be can they sustain this at the beginning of next season, not the slimmest chance of landing first overall. Because with the core we have, we should be good enough to challenge every team on a nightly basis.

The type of schedule for next season is the key to set the tone.  If they are opening up 5-6 games road trip like they did in last 2 seasons, it will be tough.  We do not know the schedule but we are overdue to have a type of season where they would start at home with short road trips within their coast like California and save the short one-gamer trip in middle of season against Seattle or one of Alberta team and use that lengthy 5+ games in middle of season leading up to Christmas break or all-star break would be my preference.  The schedule this year was ok but the way they start right off the bat on the road put us in a pressure right away and pressure to win the game at home as well if they don't start out well.  Had we not blown leads early in the season, we'd be in a bubble playoff conversation by now. I figured, we have blown leads like 10 or more times and that is 20 extra points gone just because we couldn't even defend well with AHL goalies while Demko was out.  Offense is not the problem, it's defending.  

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Hughes tied the Canuck record for the most assists by a defenseman (set by himself last year) at 60 assists. One more and he'll break his own record.

It's kind of impressive how we manage to be so bad while having such incredible talent on our team. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Wait until Hronek's ready.... We could win all 13 games the way the team is playing... And even when overmatched, Demko shuts the door.  Seriously... I know its a snowballs hope in hell but this team doesn't act like they are playing out the string.  Look at the usage of Hughes and Demko.  If we were trying to mail it in... If the players where mailing it in, we'd have lost many more games then we have.

This team wants to win badly... Petey, Kuzy, have been producing like mad, Demko, JT, are on fire right now.  Joshua, and Aman are playing really consistently and getting better every game.  All the Abby guys have been playing well above expected.  Delia is looking rested and solid.  Just wow!:shock:

I predicted (tongue and cheek) when Demko got back... We may win out and.... Miss the playoffs by 1 point.

Even if somehow, someway they make it?.... Is that a good thing, being the draft that it is???

f**k it!!!!!  Let's goooooooo!!!!!

Lets Go Crypto GIF by OKX

Yeah make it to post season and all our guys are all gased out. Next thing we lose in 4 games. Demko reinjures his lower body. Boeser has another hissy fit.  Petey changes his stick flex. Kuz eating apples instead of bananas.  10 game losing streak at the beginning of the season because the nhl gave us the toughest schedule. Back to square one fires the coach goes on a winning streak at end of season because we are playing easy teams,  recycle foe another 60 years! 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

Don't remember the last time we were so good in back to backs, we've been terrible usually.

I don't buy into the idea of us getting ready for next season - just look at last year. We were a top 10 team for about 50 games last year and then botton 5 to start this year, it has no correlation. However, it is nice to see us rewarded for our skill and win some games, we've always been better than the standings have suggested. Petey, Miller, Hughes and Demko alone get us to around the 15-20th overall spot.

Really nice to see our team defence improve as everyone thought it would under Tocchet. Winning games 3-2 and 2-1 instead of losing them 8-6 is nice and a trend in the right direction but again, is that because of the coaching change, personnel change (Bo out, Miller improving), because our bad defenders are injured and we have AHLers all buying in to a safe brand of hockey, or purely just a healthy Demko for the first time all year?

I think it's a combination of everything really, Rick deserves a lot of credit but not all of it - a good goaltender makes a good coach.

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

54 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The only thing that is usual is your obsession with my comments. What stuff have I made up? I said the amount of wins last year at the end of the season pushed us out of a higher pick which is what is happening now. Is that made up or just a fact? You just have this weird obsession with whatever I post. You can comment on other posts and make things up about them if that floats your boat and are looking for attention. Overall the comments from the team about needing to be better and taking the next step have happened at the beginning of the last two years and nothing has translated. We will see next year.

Canuck73_3:

cm punk wwe GIF

You said "they like to win at the end of the season", yet they've only done that once in the last 10 years over a 12-game stretch to end last year. Why do you think there is some pattern of winning games at the end of the year that does not carry over to next year?

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

You said "they like to win at the end of the season", yet they've only done that once in the last 10 years over a 12-game stretch to end last year. Why do you think there is some pattern of winning games at the end of the year that does not carry over to next year?

Did I say every year? The last two years they have won at the end of the season and have come back and said we need to be better and haven't been but both times now they are getting a worse pick. It's likely just the pattern of being continually mediocre or less than that's eating at fans. Maybe it is the last couple of years but it sure feels like this has happened a lot more. Likely just the 50 years of not bringing home the cup. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Hronek, Kuz. That’s a great young core. As a group they are at the right age to compete. We need to continue to retool the supporting cast.

Unless you believe our core isn’t good enough? But that would be calling for a rebuild and moving our key core guys for pucks and drafting a new core. 

Yes those calling for the tank don’t have any respect for our core players they are special youngsters in their own right.

• Thanks 1