The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Exactly this...which is why we shouldn't break the bank on UFA's (Garikov) this off season. IMO

If we can move off Myers (who will be expiring next year anyway) and sign a younger, better fitting, Gavrikov with some of those freed up dollars ($4-$5m), I'm all for it. Improving the team and getting cost certainty on our top 4 would be/isn't a bad thing.

That said, that's the nice thing about prudent planning. We don't HAVE to do that unless we move Myers, or if Gavrikov wants too much etc, etc. We have options. And hopefully with some more time this offseason, prudent college/Euro signings, further development (Johansson), maybe Reinbacher at the draft etc, we'll have even more options come fall.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

OEL and Johnsson.  

OEL  we are stuck with unt on the 3rd pairing.il they find away out of that contract, don't know how good johnsson is, but gavrikov would be a sure fired top 4 d-man, a physically skilled blueliner. they will probably move OEL to the right side until he's gone.

brisebois and bear ( if he's re-signed ) manning the 3rd pair.

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

OEL  we are stuck with unt on the 3rd pairing.il they find away out of that contract, don't know how good johnsson is, but gavrikov would be a sure fired top 4 d-man, a physically skilled blueliner. they will probably move OEL to the right side until he's gone.

There's no room (right now) to sign Garikov (or any good UFA). Sounds like he will be in the $5-6 million range. 

Hughes will have a cap of $7.85 million next season,

Hronek cap is $4.4 Mllion and we have to look at extending him this summer (just ball parking it around $6-6.5 million or so.)

OEL cap is  $8.25 Million

Myers cap is 6 Million - Once he's traded or his cap expires (that 6 millionish) will go to Hronek. 

Bear $2.2 Million (if resigned)

Poolman $2.5 million, Dermott and so all add up. 

There is no room for UFA's...we have to run with the assets we have IMO...even without adding UFA's we're still WELL over the CAP limit for next season.

Personally I'd like to see them let Bear walk, trade Dermott, keep Myers till the next TDL (get draft picks) and use their depth guys ( Rathbone, Burroughs,Brisebois, Juulsen, Wolanin, Johansson) 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's probably it. Canucks (competent) D depth:

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Dermott (?) - Myers

Rathbone - Burroughs

Brisebois - Juulsen

Wolanin - Johansson (?)

Where would Livingstone or Malinski fit in? I can't see Tocchet just handing some NHL newbie a top pairing assignment with Hughes. 

That's probably it? You mean they can't improve on that? They should be signing NCAA Dmen left and right and give them a chance to see which one is the best. Sign Malinski, Hirose and Livingstone. See which are the 2 best and then decide who to keep and who to trade. As of now Canucks have 2 top 4D in Hughes and Hronek and probably a decent enough bottom pair with Bear and OEL. So we still need 2 top 4D men. We could sign Gavrikov and maybe promote or sign an NCAA player.

Hughes-Gavrikov

Hirose-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Wolanin, Brisbois , Rathbone 

5 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

There's no room (right now) to sign Garikov (or any good UFA). Sounds like he will be in the $5-6 million range. 

Hronek cap is $4.4 Mllion and we have to look at extending him this summer (just ball parking it around $6-6.5 million or so.)

Myers cap is 6 Million - Once he's traded or his cap expires (that 6 millionish) will go to Hronek. 

There is no room for UFA's...we have to run with the assets we have IMO...even without adding UFA's we're still WELL over the CAP limit for next season.

Personally I'd like to see them let Bear walk, trade Dermott, keep Myers till the next TDL (get draft picks) and use their depth guys ( Rathbone, Burroughs,Brisebois, Juulsen, Wolanin, Johansson) 

Get rid of Myers in offseason. Why should we sacrifice the season for Myers. He is terrible

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hronek’s next contract will not begin until the following season. OEL has a cap hit for us of around 7.2 per. 
We will buyout OEL, trade Myers (after his bonus is paid) and trade Garland. That will clear 18 mil for next year. Pearson and Poolman are both done and will be on LTIR. We have plenty of cap room for Gavrikov, plus raises to Kuz and Miller. We will be a fantastic team right out of the gate next season. We are positioned to have many years of winning with a great core. 

• There it is 2

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

That's probably it? You mean they can't improve on that? They should be signing NCAA Dmen left and right and give them a chance to see which one is the best. Sign Malinski, Hirose and Livingstone. See which are the 2 best and then decide who to keep and who to trade. As of now Canucks have 2 top 4D in Hughes and Hronek and probably a decent enough bottom pair with Bear and OEL. So we still need 2 top 4D men. We could sign Gavrikov and maybe promote or sign an NCAA player.

Hughes-Gavrikov

Hirose-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Wolanin, Brisbois , Rathbone 

Woo is a far better player than those NCAA guys. And he’s only 22. Those guys are two and three years older than Woo. 

I see everyone is sleeping on Flip Johansson? The Canucks stole him from the wild and he was picked 24th overall in 2018. How come no one is talking about him  being on our top 4D? He plays good defense and have 21 points in 51 SHL games this year 

• Like 2

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Woo hasn't done much 

Woo is playing in a league these older (fully physically matured) college guys would struggle. There are reasons these college guys weren’t drafted. Often it’s due to skating problems or too small.  It’s rare to find a Chris Tanev in college free agency. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Woo is playing in a league these older (fully physically matured) college guys would struggle. There are reasons these college guys weren’t drafted. Often it’s due to skating problems or too small.  It’s rare to find a Chris Tanev in college free agency. 

Rare, but not unheard of. I think there are about 75 current NHL players who were acquired via college free agency. Sure, a good number of these are depth guys who’ve just played a few games, but there are also a lot of really good players unearthed from this pool (I wrote a list in another thread but too lazy to do that again ;)).

Agreed that we need to not get too hyped about any players signed this route. I tend to view them as similar value to mid round picks, with a similar (low percentage) chance of NHL success.

Admittedly, in most of these threads I’m generally talking about college guys from my own shortlist of college players I’ve followed and I like, so I tend to talk about the positives. That may give a false impression that these are surefire NHLers, which they’re not (and I would never try to pass them off as such). But that all said, there are a number of college (and Euro) free agents this year that I like, and I’m happy to see the Canucks linked to a few of them. 

44 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

OEL's cap hit 7.26m

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

You think OEL is a third pairing dman.  Maybe watch a little closer at how Myers game has changed since rt's system was implemented and the fwds have bought in........it explains a lot about the play of the dcorp under BB

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The hronek move is looking smarter and smarter.

management was crucified for making that deal too. lots of fans were angry at the draft capital that was included in a deal for Hronek. 

But can you complain now about how that deal is shaping up? It's still early, but the returns for Hronek are promising. 

19 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

And a new leadership structure on the ice

the team has definitely played much better since Bo's been traded, and since Tocchet and his staff has come in. 

Looks promising, but it won't mean anything, if this doesn't continue at the start of next season. 

These games are meaningless games at this point. 

I mean, I guess you could say it's a good way to create and build "momentum" for next season. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Going into NCAA free agency this year, I wanted both Hirose and Livingstone.

But Hirose is the guy I’ve been boostering in NCAA discussions for 2-3 years on these boards (and elsewhere), so I’m definitely more invested in him and have seen him as a target for longer.  

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

management was crucified for making that deal too. lots of fans were angry at the draft capital that was included in a deal for Hronek. 

But can you complain now about how that deal is shaping up? It's still early, but the returns for Hronek are promising. 

YES! Angourie Rice Crossed Arms GIF - Angourie Rice Crossed Arms Smug - Discover  & Share GIFs I think it's time we started seeing some apologies around here!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

6 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Canucks Cap hits 

Hughs $7.85 million - Hronek $4.4 Million

OEL - $8.25 milliobn . Bear $2.2 Million? 

Gavrikov $5 -6 Million - Myers $6 Million  

Thats approx $36 million on 6 D...or $12 million per pairing. Something has to give we can't go the UFA route and pay Myers and OEL.

We need cost controlled ELC's to start moving into the line up. 

Myers will be easy to move after his 5 million dollar bonus is paid out July 1st....Myers will be gone..

• Upvote 1