The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 31, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I remember red titans as well, but after a while white ones took over. I was already done when Tanti came along, was his model white as welll?

White, yes. I do remember the red ones as well but never used them and really only saw the white model used in the NHL. Amazing what Gretzky and others did with those “heavy logs”!

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I remember red titans as well, but after a while white ones took over. I was already done when Tanti came along, was his model white as welll?

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Were those Super Blades? The white plastic ones that you’d put on your stick when the blades broke or got worn down. Heat them up and bend them over a pipe to get a wicked curve. Great for street hockey except when someone would forget to screw it on, wind up for a slapper and launch it at your head like a ninja throwing star. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Were those Super Blades? The white plastic ones that you’d put on your stick when the blades broke or got worn down. Heat them up and bend them over a pipe to get a wicked curve. Great for street hockey except when someone would forget to screw it on, wind up for a slapper and launch it at your head like a ninja throwing star. 

Omg I forgot all about those plastic blades!!! I loved having a wood blade that I used in street hockey when it got narrower than everyone else stick… but then it would break!! Then one Christmas about 75 I got three of thos hideous blades for a Christmas present… and luckily for me… dad had save my last few sticks, ugh! Playing on a frozen lake and I wound up for a big Bobby Hull slapper and the blade flew off and it hit my moms drink she was holding ( rum and coke) lol. Good times :) 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

It’s a shame he is not celebrated like Bure was. I bet he is still in Vancouver now. He definately was in the 90’s I know.

Yes he lives in West Vancouver with his wife and kids.  His wife is a local.  He owns a flooring company…

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

No Titan was just a stick company who seemed to take over in the mid/ late 70s. Red titans were the rage and then the white ones (ugh a white stick) took over. I’m not sure if Gretzky started with a white titan but if not very quickly he was using one and I think that was the biggest reason. My brain is foggy on whether a white one was available in the 70’s.

• Thanks 1

A real shame to see our defence fall off again after such a strong stretch, that does make me worry that we might not be so hot next year either. Hughes was really over worked, made some sloppy defensive plays, Myers was sadly trash again - without support he's dreadful but when Hronek was in the lineup he was so much better. The rest of the bottom 4 weren't terrible, they just played like AHLers.

Our forward group keep clicking though, this team can score just about any which way, good to see Garland and McDonough get a goal but we need to focus on letting in less than 5 goals a night again.

Shame, we could have really halted the Flames' playoff chances. Still at 0.500 though for whatever that's worth.

Interesting see-saw game tonight - thought Demko kept the Canucks in it for most of the game to be able to get that point.

Seriously with 7 games remaining, hope the coaches start to look at more of their prospects to see who will actually have a  chance this October and not start this auditioning process in September when it is probably the time to  start the good habits and winning trends. Probably should also start to split Delia / Demko maybe after the LA game on Sunday. - these contending teams are really making Demko work.

Thought the Flames played ok - too many defensive lapses though - looking at their lineup, they sure lost quite a bit of scoring with Gaudrea Monohan and Tkachuk gone.from last year.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Has anyone noticed the past two games we've allowed 6 and 5 goals respectively. It's almost like we're reverting to the same bad habits when BB was here? I'm hoping this is an anomaly.

I'm not too worried, our defense has been pretty decimated this whole time & I didn't think Demko was at his best in STL. Brisebois & Myers have had a rough couple of games and now tonight we lose Hronek on top of that. 

Regression is possible but 2 games is a short sample & I doubt this is is our group starting next year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Myers was so so bad, I really hope his bonus is paid we can move on. He's had his moments here but its time to end the Myers era as far as I'm concerned.

I liked Kuzmenko's game tonight, he had a number of great individual efforts & it seemed like he was really trying. Obviously Demko was sensational & I loved the pushback from our team any point the Flames try to pull their buffoonery. Pettersson adds another point & Hughes carries the defense again.... The right guys continue to play well.

Unfortunate how we lost but the tank is better off & there's some positives for sure.

• Tanks a lot 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I talked some smack when JB traded for Toffoli and TT played amazing. 

Made no sense to not bring him back - even if you liked Jake’s season not like you couldn’t have both. 

Of course Jake craters and Toffoli is a bargain, productive, vet that any team would love.  Classic.  I hate him. 

That whole situation made me realize how oblivious JB was. Tofoli, classy guy, proven pedigree vs Jake, goofy immature, pots a few goals in one season.

Hmmmmm. Who to keep? And JB goes with Tuna :picard:   JB sans clue.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

After listening to Tochett and his expectations of having the club be in the best shape and that every player has to work harder in the offseason as well as seeing Hronek and knowing the expectation is continue to get better by the organization, I am trying to just take the season as it is. Nothing you can do but I have high expectations about the continued work on the defense. It has to continue to be worked on in the summer and I think it will. I have cautious optimism but again the start of the season is huge next year.

Love your new found enthusiasm. 

4 hours ago, 1-d said:

We went back to our old habit of allowing the other team to waltz into our zone and set up a picnic there, and then relying on Demko to bail them out. It seemed to be working until the ref awarded tying goal to the flames -- and the rest was the same old script from the first 2 months of the season.

You can't give crazy puck possession teams like calgary that many shots and scoring chances and hope your goalie to win it for you. Our guys looked often tentative and content with dumping the puck in and change. That's not a structure. That's an invitation to disaster which we have seen plenty this season.

We’re showcasing Tyler Myers for a trade in the off season to a team that’s looking to hit rock bottom next year.