The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Cole McWard

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

I like this signing adding size Cole McWard -21 - 6'1 - 195lbs RD yes-- --We have so many D men between 5'10 - --6'0

Need to Add a guy like Graves 27 - 6'5 -225 -- very tough stay at home D man...

I believe I heard John and John saying the Canucks had used something like 16 defensemen this season already. Could it be that the size thing matters? The forwards aren't heavy enough either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Yip. Long ways from Baumgartner. 

You said it, budz!  A pair of veteran Stanley Cup winning, and International Gold Medal winning D-coaches is a 180o turnaround from Baumer. I was pretty stoked when we acquired Gonchar and Foote.

8 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Is he something special or just another Rafferty and Teves?? 

I don't recall, and as I mentioned.....too LAZY to research.   Were these guys NCAA acquisitions at the time?!?!?!??

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Management group did well last season getting Bains, Johansson and Aman.  Getting Tolopilo, Hirose, Sasson and McWard this season is solid piece of work.

Restocking the system even if these aren't high end pieces, but helps raise the bottom end of the development group.

I must admit that I was somewhat apprehensive when JR came into the fold. I thought perhaps that he was too old to take up the mantle as team prez. That being said, so far, so ......uhhhh....somewhat good. 

Bringing in the women was refreshing. What with Cheryl, Jennifer, Cassie, etc doing the TV thing, it's very evident that Women's hockey has brilliant minds for the game. 

Sidetracked....apologies.................

A rookie GM in PA.....I wasn't too sure about, but that seemed to work out. And as far as the, 'are we rebuilding, or are we re-tooling,' and the coach Bruce fiasco....uh well......It is Done.....'Nuff said.

I believe restocking the farm was always the plan. At the beginning, I had no idea how they were gonna do it. But they've done it with some smart moves and College/Euro free agents. Good on 'em......so far. Hope some of thenm turn out.

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Cole McDonald in our farm, how high will he go?

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

E I E I O

Exactly my thought when I saw Phil_314's post! Haha.

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6’1” 195 LBs is still undersized for D. Or at least closer to average. Lots of guys play well and tough around that size but need some more beef to make room for the Q’s and Hronek’s.

This is really an AHL depth and development kind of signing though. Glad to see them really using the farm more and more for development with it so close.  One good thing this management group has done is it feels like Abby and Van are more connected and more like one big team.  Really seem to be focusing on athlete development in the minors more and more which is great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Jumping on the bandwagon here.  Love this signing. Last year PA did a great job on getting European free agents to improve the prospect pipeline and this year he has done a great job with the college UFAs.

The key here is age and development.  This year, every D in Abby made a lot of progress (Wolanin, Juulsen, Woo, Brisebois). At age 21 McWard has a lot of runway and probably one of the selling points is the development team the Canucks have put together.

Late bloomer who grew late -- perfect -- Tanev 2.0.

I was hoping for Livingstone but, on reflection, I am happier with this signing. Livingstone might be able to play on a third pairing or as 7th man right away, but there is a good chance that is his ceiling. McWard has more upside even if he is a couple of years away.

Yup. These college and Euro free agents are (in a round about way) the second round picks we traded away over the recent years. Just need one or two to grow into a useful supporting role player. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I believe I heard John and John saying the Canucks had used something like 16 defensemen this season already. Could it be that the size thing matters? The forwards aren't heavy enough either.

Yeah I heard guys on Sportsnet 650 last night talk about the size of Canucks.. Think the average weight was 190 lbs not a heavy big team and not much toughness or grit.

Rick Tocchet will be pushing Allvin to trade for some toughness. and size. Very hard to find players that can play regular and add that toughness Canucks need especially on defence... A player like Graves would be so special 28--6'5--225-- Stay at home D man, adds grit toughness and PK can play 20 mins...

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. These college and Euro free agents are (in a round about way) the second round picks we traded away over the recent years. Just need one or two to grow into a useful supporting role player. 

Hmmm.....Never thought of it that way but yea. Makes sense. 

I guess we'll have to wait an' see how are our draft pick Big D's work out............uhhhh.....wait a sec......that kinda' sounds iffy. Haha! 

Y'all've heard this ad nauseam, but a big mojo Dman, centre and a winger would do us a world of good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Yeah I heard guys on Sportsnet 650 last night talk about the size of Canucks.. Think the average weight was 190 lbs not a heavy big team and not much toughness or grit.

Rick Tocchet will be pushing Allvin to trade for some toughness. and size. Very hard to find players that can play regular and add that toughness Canucks need especially on defence... A player like Graves would be so special 28--6'5--225-- Stay at home D man, adds grit toughness and PK can play 20 mins...

The McWard signing is awesome Cole 21 - 6'1 - 192 lbs RD had a good season as 21 year old.. If. McWard played another 2 seasons every NHL team would be after hime and he might of been the top player available in 2 years.. So awesome Canucks can develop him in Abby for next 1.5 years and he might be NHL ready...

I could see McWard  in 2yrs getting much stronger 6'1 - 205 lbs ..

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am reserving judgement till the off-season and how they handle that. 

I think the roster as is will still run into consistency issues due to team composition. 

Would like to see a more defensively minded bottom 6 to match our offensively talented top 6. 

Also some more defensively minded D to match our puck movers. 

Tall impossible task to do it all in one off-season but I want to see how much they accomplish if any. The cap will make it hard so it will get interesting to see how they address. 

Somethings going to have to give with the salary cap, changing / filling the roster even when just considering signing our RFAs 

but yea me too. They seem confident they’ll be able to make some changes and move some bad money out. 

They mentioned on Halford & Brough about them (the Canucks) potentially jumping the cue with signing him now. Had he stayed in school for another year or two, there may have been more teams lined up to sign him. 

Plus, now they get that development time. 

If so, even a smarter move on their part! 

9 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It would be interesting to see how many undrafted NCAA free agents are now currently playing in the NHL.

I suspect it is not that many and most of the college guys who make it were relatively high draft picks. 

I think most of the undrafted guys wind up in the AHL and Europe.

But it is good PR for the team when they sign someone.

Having said that I wish McWard all the best and hope he beats the odds to become a top 4 NHL Dman for us.

There's a few, but the majority end up being depth players like you said. Torey Krug, Noel Acciari, Tyler Bozak, Alex Iafallo, Neal Pionk, Evan Rodriguez, Nate Schmidt, Conor Sheary, and the Tanev brothers come to mind as more stand-out undrafted college FA's. Some of the more depth-type players like Stecher or Zach Aston-Reese have had solid careers too..

• Thanks 1