• Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7
    • Kings in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 02:00 AM

23 minutes ago, drdeath said:

this angle makes it look like it was the natural arc and his stick was in the vicinity. but the reverse angle looks like it 100% dropped dead after hitting his stick 

First time looking at it. At that angle it doesn't look like it touched at all.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

Draisaitl complaining they “aren’t sure what the standard is right now” regarding his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

For starters Leon, you touched an opposing player. Cellying is fine. Trash talking is fine. One you go out of your way to smack your opponent with your stick while doing it, that’s always been the line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Yeah Draisitl penalty was well deserved :lol: 

So was the one before that ::D

Yeah Draisaitl’s was, once you touch an opposing player after play is done you risk a call. Mind boggling you’re actually arguing otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, drdeath said:

this angle makes it look like it was the natural arc and his stick was in the vicinity. but the reverse angle looks like it 100% dropped dead after hitting his stick 

That angle does show that it most likely hit the tip of the blade. 3 things though.  One, it wasn’t 100% conclusive. There is a 3-4% chance the stick didn’t hit the puck.  Two, Vilardi didn’t do it intentionally, his head was turned and when he turned to face the puck the puck was already coming down.  Third, it didn’t affect the rest of the play as the puck hit the ice and neither player had immediate possession.  So, calling that goal off would have been unfair to LA. I’ve seen way more goals in the playoffs count that shouldn’t have that were alot worse than this one.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Usually the powerplays continue to start the playoffs and gradually get weaned off but this is a bit silly. They're basically asking for more offence and calling a lot of stuff that a few years ago would get left. McDavid the PP merchant would still be almost pointless without the refs treating these games like mid-season games.

I hope as these series go on they put the whistles away a little bit. As much as I love seeing the Oilers lose, an OT PP is a tough call to make and pretty much a game-deciding one.

Meanwhile, refs-aside, it's worth mentioning that Doughty is destroying the Oilers stars somehow. Gavrikov is really settling in to a nice secondary role in terms of defending and doing a great job of it, even on the PK where they got exposed, but Doughty is the perfect playoff defenceman. He can skate well, move the puck well, log a good 30 minutes and really shutdown the stars. He's a bit like Keith in his prime, and it's insane to see him turn back the clock this year. Everyone's going on about Karlsson's resurgence but no-one's really talking about Doughty, and watching him play against McDavid for the most part, he's showing people he's still got it. I'm not sure there's a playoff defenceman in the conference who could do what Doughty's doing to McDavid and the Oilers right now, this guy just knows how to get under their skins and win in a 7 game series.

Special shout-out to Kopitar who is doing the same - he's going head to head with a guy much younger and in his prime and shutting him down defensively, physically and then he's going and scoring on top of him too. These guys have won Cups the right way and they're showing Edmonton first-hand how to do it.

The Canucks should pay attention - this is how you beat top-end skill - with a great shutdown defenceman who can move the puck well, and a top, big strong physical center who can defend well and score clutch goals. Meanwhile, Edmonton have two elite scorers who don't defend well and two great puck moving defencemen who...don't defend well...

Can Petey play like Kopitar? He's not as big and strong but defensively I think he's got the tools. Can Hughes play like Doughty? Again, not as solid physically defensively so whether he can "shut-down" a top star is up for debate, he'd need a lot of support.

• Cheers 2

and once again McD proves that unless it's a power play, he CAN'T score. 

typical one dimensional player. 

plus Woodcroft needs his eyes checked... 'the best player in the world was 2 feet away'... looks more like about 15' to me. plus McD will never be the 'greatest player in the world' until he wins the big prize multiple times( and I'm not talking about individual awards )

• Upvote 1

Lol, the saltiness all over the internet with Oilers fans calling out the Kings and their embellishments. Please, really? Oilers been doing that for years as they can only win when gifted powerplays. And Leon, you have a beef with Doughty? Get physical with him during play or even a little rough stuff after the whistle, it will go uncalled in the playoffs. But  skating up to a player after the whistle, slashing them, will be called everytime. It shows what a pretender you are.

Edited by rekker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol, the saltiness all over the internet with Oilers fans calling out the Kings and their embellishments. Please, really? Oilers been doing that for years as they can only win when gifted powerplays. And Leon, you have a beef with Doughty? Get physical with him during play or even a little rough stuff after the whistle, it will go uncalled in the playoffs. But  skating up to a player after the whistle, slashing them, will be called everytime. It shows what a pretender you are.

lol.  Coiler fans crying about officiating.  Seems like they were laughing it up when the Ruins were doing their stuff to us in 2011.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Yes I have seen a couple more views now from different angles and I agree, it touched the stick.

Welcome to battling advserity, Oilers. Our team has to do it every single year with calls that often don't favour us (it's improving a lot mind you).

As some of our fans do point out...."good teams find a way". McDavid playing ref didn't help his team, as he stood there to make the call.

• Like 3

Just now, -DLC- said:

Welcome to battling advserity, Oilers. Our team has to do it every single year with calls that often don't favour us (it's improving a lot mind you).

Perhaps they should try winning in regulation against the worse Kings :bigblush:

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

As some of our fans do point out...."good teams find a way". McDavid playing ref didn't help his team, as he stood there to make the call.

Connor McCrybaby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the coil lose, but that elevated angle looked pretty conclusive that it touched the stick. The war room certainly had that angle available so it makes you wonder how it wasn't called back. The puck trajectory is almost stopped dead in its tracks before falling at a more vertical angle.