The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

With how the past few seasons have gone, I don't blame Petey for wanting to bet on himself and see how the team does before committing. 

It just sucks that the distraction will be there during the season. Anytime the team goes on a losing streak or Petey on a bit of a drought we'd be talking about trading him. 

On 8/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, Provost said:

Just think what it would look like if Benning hadn’t messed up the cap and we could have signed him to a max term around $8.5 million deal.  Same with a Hughes deal that could have been sub $8 million at the time.

$11 million probably isn’t ever going to be a steal.  The cap doesn’t have infinite linear growth potential.  TV deals are probably going down if anything in the future, ticket prices only have room to grow in the less traditional markets.

Should have locked brock up 8x8 too. 

• Haha 2

EP was consistently around a point a game player (like Scheifele who's cap space is 7.3% of cap)

He had a breakout scoring year as a top 5 scoring centre last year

Do you pay him like one now, or based on his more previous years with improvement?

I don't think the Canucks will pay as a top 5 centre right away and can see a 4 yr contract signed to prove it as consistent

I might see him paid as a top 7-8 paid centre  for 4 years (Eichel money around $10m/yr)

Edited by Ballisticsports.

12 hours ago, chon derry said:

Cheers, thought that Friedman gave him a free bee...

When he started to say 'I don't know, how long I'm gonna be over there... kind of made me concerned. I promised myself not to pay any attention to these thing, but normally the state they'd like to get it sorted. 
well, it is, what it is. If he doesn't wanna hang around, then maybe tear it all down. 
He IS the Canucks just now. 
They could make a decent killing now, if that is, where it is heading. 
Or maybe give it a bash while OEL cap isn't hurting, and then consider a total rebuild. 
I'd hate to see it happen, but it would make too much sense, should Petey not want to hang around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

The bet on yourself does come with risk, just ask shohei ohtani who just saw a few hundred million evaporate with an injury.  

on the other hand maybe Petey will be more like Matthew’s and take a series of shorter contracts to maintain personal control rather than long term security?

I doubt that injury will affect his future contract much.

Hockey is a different animal though. Concussions regularly end NHL careers. All it takes is one dirty hit and a player might never be the same.

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers, thought that Friedman gave him a free bee...

When he started to say 'I don't know, how long I'm gonna be over there... kind of made me concerned. I promised myself not to pay any attention to these thing, but normally the state they'd like to get it sorted. 
well, it is, what it is. If he doesn't wanna hang around, then maybe tear it all down. 
He IS the Canucks just now. 
They could make a decent killing now, if that is, where it is heading. 
Or maybe give it a bash while OEL cap isn't hurting, and then consider a total rebuild. 
I'd hate to see it happen, but it would make too much sense, should Petey not want to hang around. 

I get that he doesn’t want talks to be a distraction. The only part concerning was the length of the contract. Him not knowing if it’ll be long , short? Is he  Basing the length of his future here on this season ? I mean this team needs at least 2 full seasons , to contend. If it even materializes at all. Hockey players are like that fancy car/truck you bought. And learned the hard way to not get to attached to after it rusted out or got hit in an accident. Team Loyalty isn’t a thing anymore I guess?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shiznak said:

Yup, I’ve been saying this the entire time, a shorter deal is probably the best option for both parties. Pettersson still gets paid relatively well, while he gets an idea where this franchise is at within the 4-5 yrs period. If he doesn’t like where this team is going, he could always asked to be move. 5yrs, 9.5-10.5m is what I’m expecting. 

Wouldn't surprise me, 10-10.5M may be his compromise if the Canucks give on term, but who knows. 10-10.5M long term though? Doubt it.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Some agents want guys to come up for renewal at around 29 so that they can try ton squeeze out a last max term contract that teams will regret.

That doesn’t mean a team HAS to play ball.

True enough, but it's likely a few teams would be prepared to. It's rare for a 1C to be available via UFA. Last one was Tavares and he'd been the first in a good while if I'm not mistaken.

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Just a general comment, and not meant to be specifically about EP40, but it's hard to have loyalty to a team when a team clearly doesn't extend or even bother to display the same loyalty to its staff and other players.  This applies to pretty much any professional sports team, because they're being run as businesses, and only care about the bottom line.

More so now than ever before. I Remember Gretzkys crying on tv. I wasn’t totally convinced. But I recently watched an interview with him about the trade. I at the time thought it was Janet. Who orchestrated it. But it was Nelson  Scabania who got the ball rolling but it was gretzkys dad. Apperantly he had 4 teams to go to. NY philly Detroit and LA. But I do beleave he was loyal to the Oiler Org until the end.

• Cheers 3

Disclaimer: I hope that we sign Petey to an 8 year, 11 million extension. I also believe that chances of him getting traded are less then 5%. 

Just for fun, what do you guys think that Petey would fetch in a trade? It would have to be to a team that has enough assets and is on the cusp of breaking out. 

Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Columbus, and Seattle seem like the best trading partners. 

As expected, he is hedging his bets to see how the team is doing.

Teams with bright futures have guys lining up to sign long term.  We have to convince players to stay due to years of mismanagement.

We entirely missed a window to contend when we had two superstar young players on ELCs contributing way above their cap hits.  Now it it pretty much hoping for a miracle and someone to come out of the woodwork.  It is hard to be a top notch team if every contract is being full market rate.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, chon derry said:

More so now than ever before. I Remember Gretzkys crying on tv. I wasn’t totally convinced. But I recently watched an interview with him about the trade. I at the time thought it was Janet. Who orchestrated it. But it was Nelson  Scabania who got the ball rolling but it was gretzkys dad. Apperantly he had 4 teams to go to. NY philly Detroit and LA. But I do beleave he was loyal to the Oiler Org until the end.

Sounds like he wound up in LA because he didnt follow through on calling Nelson Scalbania back.

At this point I don't really care one way of the other if Petey wants to stay or not. 

Just hope it is resolved one way or the other before season start as I am tired of all the Canucks drama not to mention other drama on the internet this year. 

Gonna be brutal too with the US election cycle ramping up now. Commercials is gonna be insufferable. 

• Cheers 1

Well, at least Petey is an RFA so waiting until next summer isn't the end of the world. Plus, if we truly can't get a deal done he will still hold a lot of value as an RFA (see Matthew Tkachuk for example). Hopefully though it's all just posturing though and we can get something done at a reasonable price.

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point I don't really care one way of the other if Petey wants to stay or not. 

Just hope it is resolved one way or the other before season start as I am tired of all the Canucks drama not to mention other drama on the internet this year. 

Gonna be brutal too with the US election cycle ramping up now. Commercials is gonna be insufferable. 

Its already been reported that he wont be negotiating a new deal this summer.  The only way it's resolved before the season starts is if he's traded.  

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

Turned down an offer of 25% ownership of the nucks... today that's worth a quarter of a billion dollars.

Could contain: Text, City

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Its already been reported that he wont be negotiating a new deal this summer.  The only way it's resolved before the season starts is if he's traded.  

Things change especially with Mathews signing now. 

I am totally fine trading him. I am sick of this would he won't he sh*t. 

• Cheers 1

Would be interesting if we're well out of the playoffs again, would he even sign? 24 year old two way 100pt center, arguably top-5 in the league, why waste his prime? If he sees some progress he might be tempted into a bridge deal, say 2 or 3 years to give him a chance to explode, but anything's on the table. 

If I was Petey I'd leave if we missed the playoffs yet again, staying longer than even 1 more year shows some loyalty. This team has been such a mess since he was drafted and the guy who drafted isn't even here anymore.

I doubt he asks for an RFA trade at the end of the year, probably just goes for a short-ish deal which maybe ends around the same time as Hughes'.

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Things change especially with Mathews signing now. 

I am totally fine trading him. I am sick of this would he won't he sh*t. 

I don't see how Matthew's signing would have any barring on it.  It sounds like he wants to see the direction the team is taking before he signs.  He wants to play on a team with a shot at winning 

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would be interesting if we're well out of the playoffs again, would he even sign? 24 year old two way 100pt center, arguably top-5 in the league, why waste his prime? If he sees some progress he might be tempted into a bridge deal, say 2 or 3 years to give him a chance to explode, but anything's on the table. 

If I was Petey I'd leave if we missed the playoffs yet again, staying longer than even 1 more year shows some loyalty. This team has been such a mess since he was drafted and the guy who drafted isn't even here anymore.

I doubt he asks for an RFA trade at the end of the year, probably just goes for a short-ish deal which maybe ends around the same time as Hughes'.

He doesn’t have to ask for a trade, he just needs to not sign an extension and take the team to arbitration.  That will be all the signal the brass need to start a trade in the works.  You can’t let one of the top players in the league walk for nothing just as he is entering his prime.

If we aren’t an above average team and win a round or two of the playoffs, it is probably time to think about restarting honestly as there isn’t any cavalry coming in the prospect pipeline to turn the team fortunes around.  We have tripled down on this roster, so if we succeed it will be now or never.