The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

15 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah if there isn't a sizeable amount of improvement it could get ugly. Imagine Petey doesn't stay past Rfa, gets traded if they know he won't sign.  what will Millers attitude be like after that? Hughes, that poor guy will be trying to do it all who knows what happens to him. A lot can go wrong here .. Sure we'd get a huge haul for those two/ maybe Miller too, but maybe the fixes on the D get us into the playoffs! It's not a sure thing imo but a possibility still. Need a good start bro! That's half the battle, can't start out 2-7 or be Xmas time when we hit 10 wins lol or something crappy like that. Hot start so we're in it come the  All star break!

This is what the NHL wants. That’s why they keep giving us massive road trips to start the year. It’s like giving one team a bunch of penalties at the start of a game. It doesn’t matter if it gets evened out by the end of the game. All early momentum is lost, putting a team in panic mode.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

When you rebuild, you cast off older, high priced talent for draft picks and then work your way back up to prominence over a lengthy period of time through the draft 

I'll bet my bottom dollar they do not do that.  There will be a pretty quick turn around in Chicago, imo 

To me, that's a re-tool

Engine swap

To all the doubters of this team making playoffs this season with the constant negativity pouring out on these forums and zero acknowledgment towards our ability to score, a healthy Demko, a PK unit that was built this off season, will you all please delete your accounts after this team proves you all wrong and also makes it past the first round? I believe in this team for many reasons and realistically we need one guy to show up and perform like all top team goalies do. Stronger goaltending = better in dzone 5v5 ES and PK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those two sentences may not correlate.  He can get paid anywhere he goes but the team we trade him too might not even be a playoff team.  How many Stanley Cup contenders can squeeze $12 million onto their payroll without disrupting their team?  Any team Petey gets traded to the Canucks have to take salary back.  Even with Eichel Vegas had to trade Tuch.  

In my opinion, Petey is being coached by his agents, who are the top agents in the NHL.  They will squeeze out every penny from the Canucks that they can.  MacKinnon, Tavares, Kopitar, Jones, Larkin, PLD.  Even Crosby from 10 years ago, they all got top dollar.  And Petey will too.  He won't even take a penny discount to play here, this is guaranteed...

That's his right... obviously

But I'm surprised not to have heard more people discuss how this is a clear sign that Petey shouldn't even be considered as captain anymore. If he were the next captain then signing longterm and telling us he's putting the Canucks on his back and going to do everything in his power to make the team a winner is the move. 

This whole... "I'm holding out to see if this team is worth committing too" is his right but shows he's nowhere near the leader this team needs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

But I'm surprised not to have heard more people discuss how this is a clear sign that Petey shouldn't even be considered as captain anymore. If he were the next captain then signing longterm and telling us he's putting the Canucks on his back and going to do everything in his power to make the team a winner is the move. 

This whole... "I'm holding out to see if this team is worth committing too" is his right but shows he's nowhere near the leader this team needs.

I agree.  I think Miller should be the captain...

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

In all fairness, since EP’s emergence in this league this team has accomplished diddly squat and to a point been a laughing stock while sitting amongst the lower tier of hockey franchises. 

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, we don’t know the convos had with ownership and how they filter down, and we also don’t know the extent to which the media affects a players desire to play here. Lots of travel. Higher tax rate, coaching carousel, etc etc.

if I was EP I wouldn’t be playing this out any differently. He’s competitive and a winner. If this franchise can’t get their shit together enough to *legitimately* even make the playoffs on a median level, why should he handcuff himself longterm to it? Money is great, but without promise or success, the desire gets sapped right out. 

I love it that he’s effectively putting ownership on the hot seat. What I fear is that mgmt is tasked to make another poorly thought out deal to acquire short term pieces that kinda gives hope. Rinse and repeat.

In his short time EP has seen a lot of crap go down with this club. Any fan can have blind loyalty and pontificate and project that expectation upon the players, but like I said, true winners want to win and are not satisfied with anything less.

He is a leader. And definitely captain material. Maybe not just yet though. I think JTM fills that role under a Tocchet regime, or it’s at least the shared A between EP, JTM and QH until we see how things shake out. 
Naming a captain to go into the season would be ideal though  imho. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Yes, because their best young players are in the NHL, for the most part.

You mean we have a mediocre prospect pool because we have a mediocre prospect pool because our non-mediocre prospects graduated? Hmm, our prospects are what they are, period. Our continual sh*tty seasons followed by hollow moral victories after being eliminated resulting in lower picks, coupled with past years of JB giving picks away like popcorn, got us here. I like what current management are doing and they have been dealt a crappy hand. The point remains that we’re not contenders, we are cap strapped and we have a 24th place prospect pool but a few budding superstars (one of whom might leave in 2 years).

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those two sentences may not correlate.  He can get paid anywhere he goes but the team we trade him too might not even be a playoff team.  How many Stanley Cup contenders can squeeze $12 million onto their payroll without disrupting their team?  Any team Petey gets traded to the Canucks have to take salary back.  Even with Eichel Vegas had to trade Tuch.  

In my opinion, Petey is being coached by his agents, who are the top agents in the NHL.  They will squeeze out every penny from the Canucks that they can.  MacKinnon, Tavares, Kopitar, Jones, Larkin, PLD.  Even Crosby from 10 years ago, they all got top dollar.  And Petey will too.  He won't even take a penny discount to play here, this is guaranteed...

And so they should, the Canucks haven't done nearly enough to earn discounts from their top players 

Successful teams can make that sort lf thing work, we haven't been consistently successful in about a decade 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We better make the playoffs this year. If we don’t this team will get blown apart…

I agree that it “should”… we wasted the Petey and Hughes ELC years which was a window for being competitive.  If you have elite players on cheap contracts it should be a massive advantage in a cap world.  If we had this roster AND another Petey/Hughes calibre duo of prospects ready to join the team it would be a vastly different outlook.

If we aren’t a dramatically improved team this year, and maybe even win a round in the playoffs I don’t see Petterson or Hronek signing long term, at least to reasonable contracts.  If Petey is on a short term arb award instead of a long term deal you pretty much have to trade him.  If you trade him, you should probably trade Hughes and start over.

Of course with this ownership, we would trade them for older, worse players and trade away all our high picks to try to be competitive immediately.

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

In all fairness, since EP’s emergence in this league this team has accomplished diddly squat and to a point been a laughing stock while sitting amongst the lower tier of hockey franchises. 

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, we don’t know the convos had with ownership and how they filter down, and we also don’t know the extent to which the media affects a players desire to play here. Lots of travel. Higher tax rate, coaching carousel, etc etc.

if I was EP I wouldn’t be playing this out any differently. He’s competitive and a winner. If this franchise can’t get their shit together enough to *legitimately* even make the playoffs on a median level, why should he handcuff himself longterm to it? Money is great, but without promise or success, the desire gets sapped right out. 

I love it that he’s effectively putting ownership on the hot seat. What I fear is that mgmt is tasked to make another poorly thought out deal to acquire short term pieces that kinda gives hope. Rinse and repeat.

In his short time EP has seen a lot of crap go down with this club. Any fan can have blind loyalty and pontificate and project that expectation upon the players, but like I said, true winners want to win and are not satisfied with anything less.

He is a leader. And definitely captain material. Maybe not just yet though. I think JTM fills that role under a Tocchet regime, or it’s at least the shared A between EP, JTM and QH until we see how things shake out. 
Naming a captain to go into the season would be ideal though  imho. 

Hear here!! Cheers brother 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

This is what the NHL wants. That’s why they keep giving us massive road trips to start the year. It’s like giving one team a bunch of penalties at the start of a game. It doesn’t matter if it gets evened out by the end of the game. All early momentum is lost, putting a team in panic mode.

We always have a tough start eh, a 5 game east trip or something in the first 6-7 weeks, it's tough being the furthest west team (considering florida and Tampa etc,  not just east coast Canadian teams ) It's nice Seattle offers us some more (3/4 a year whatever it is) close games. We only have so many east coast road trips but I guarantee they hit us/edm/cal/sea harder. 

Definitely us the most screw those other guys. Haha cheers 

VGK want Petey bad

To VGK

Petersson

Hogz

Rathbone 

To VAN

2024 1st 

2025 1st 

no protection 

Nick Roy 

Barbashev

Shea Theadore 

Barby Miller Kuzy 

Beau Roy Brock 

Milky Suter Garland 

joshua Bluegger PDG

Aman, Podz 

Hughes Theadore 

Cole Hroneck

Soucy Myers then Bear 

that’s a playoff team 

plus we have 4 firsts in next 2 yrs!

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

the Canucks haven't done nearly enough to earn discounts from their top players 

Yeah, i agree with this. The Canucks haven't demonstrated nearly enough to warrant their own players giving the organization discounts. Discount for sucking? No thanks. With that being said, it worries me that EP40 isn't as confirmed to sign long term. Him signing short term gives me the impression that the jury is still out in his trust with management and where they're heading. He probably has Benning PTSD just like the rest of us. 

f**k Benning and his regime. They f**king screwed us over. 

• elephant 1

45 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

VGK want Petey bad

To VGK

Petersson

Hogz

Rathbone 

To VAN

2024 1st 

2025 1st 

no protection 

Nick Roy 

Barbashev

Shea Theadore 

Barby Miller Kuzy 

Beau Roy Brock 

Milky Suter Garland 

joshua Bluegger PDG

Aman, Podz 

Hughes Theadore 

Cole Hroneck

Soucy Myers then Bear 

that’s a playoff team 

plus we have 4 firsts in next 2 yrs!

those 1st's would be low, though, because Vegas is going to make the playoffs, and if they have Petey on their squad, then they go far. NO THANKS

i'm sick of a franchise 6 years in existence has already won a Cup before us, and we want to help them win another one before they're even 10 years old? f**k no. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

If Petey is on a short term arb award instead of a long term deal you pretty much have to trade him.  If you trade him, you should probably trade Hughes and start over.

this would be the worse case scenario for this franchise that has already wasted a f**king decade, and can't get their shit together for a Drake concert. 

the last ten years, this franchise has been embarassing. I don't know how Aquilini can say he's proud of his organization and the way it's been run. I'd put a paper bag over his head. What a moron. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He'll ask for (and probably deserve) 11-12M then. Could see it happen if we're successful but to be honest I'm guessing Petey hits just over 100pts again (maybe say 102pts). Think he'll drop 35-40G though. Having a healthy Mikheyev and Kuzmenko all season will cause trouble - I think Mik is the perfect big, gritty but fast winger for Petey. Could easily see both wingers scoring 30+ goals if not more with Petey. You're talking about a 100G line easily. Not many teams have one of those.

Big man Matthews doesn't even top the top-10 after that ridiculous deal?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1