The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who is your team Spook?  ManCity?  I like the Italian teams.  Looks like they will have 4 Italian teams in the Champions League and Europa League.  

United... despite them flopping severely last night :frantic:

Its been a good season for Italian teams... They seem to be finding their mojo again in European footie.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean Johnny Gadreau turned down $80M from the Flames….

But Flames???? ::D

Seriously though $10M a year for 8 years taxed in Canada v $9.75M a year for 7 years taxed in US... Don't think he is leaving much on the table, but as important he didn't gamble on a 3 year deal followed by a long deal. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

United... despite them flopping severely last night :frantic:

Its been a good season for Italian teams... They seem to be finding their mojo again in European footie.

ManU.  Oh boy...  :sadno:

My friend is a huge ManU fan.  His father was born there and moved to Canada later on.  He hasn't been too happy these past few years...   ^_^

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

If there were 5 similar houses. House one is 1.5m. House two; 1.4m, House three; 1.6m. House four; .800k. House five; 2m. House 1-3 are marked as market valued houses. Miller fits in that category. At that time saving .100k-200k isn’t a difference. Maybe house three has an extra bathroom or bigger backyard, but is it worth paying an extra .200k?

At the time Miller market value was at 8-9m, for a 80-90 point player. I gave two comparable examples on why his value is at that range. Do teams overpay for players, who don’t hold their value? Sure, but those are bad investments. How hard is that to understand? 

Do you honestly think players/agents go into a negotiation and say “You can sign me at a discount so I can stay.”?

Except Miller was the house with the extra bathroom and bigger backyard.  He was the 99 point player that just finished among the top scorers in the entire NHL.  He was the cream of the crop on the market.  So he's the 1.6M home that you bought for 1.4M.  We even heard there was a buyer on the market willing to pay the 1.6M, but you got it for 1.4M.  DISCOUNT.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

ManU.  Oh boy...  :sadno:

My friend is a huge ManU fan.  His father was born there and moved to Canada later on.  He hasn't been too happy these past few years...   ^_^

I feel his pain. Used to be a season ticket holder at Old Trafford... magic times. Final game as a season ticket hold was v Swansea at Fergusons final game in charge in 2013. 

Since its been a roller coaster and not for the better... I do have faith in ETH. A massive cull into the squad is needed. Gutless performance last night. O

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I feel his pain. Used to be a season ticket holder at Old Trafford... magic times. Final game as a season ticket hold was v Swansea at Fergusons final game in charge in 2013. 

Since its been a roller coaster and not for the better... I do have faith in ETH. A massive cull into the squad is needed. Gutless performance last night. O

I'm guessing it must be one of the best fan experiences to be in the stands for a Premiership game. All the singing and chants back and forth would be cool. Plus, it's the best there for soccer. Is it hard to watch the Whitecaps after seeing the best? Would the Caps be about a second div team there? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm guessing it must be one of the best fan experiences to be in the stands for a Premiership game. All the singing and chants back and forth would be cool. Plus, it's the best there for soccer. Is it hard to watch the Whitecaps after seeing the best? Would the Caps be about a second div team there? 

Yes it is great. Love the atmosphere especially on European night. Too far to drive for me in the end, so we gave up our season tickets. 

Found it odd/funny at first that there was so little chanting at hockey games in Vancouver, and that fans had to be told to shout for their team...Especially with the intensity being so high.
Nothing better than to get all the emotions out of your system during a sports game. 

I'm aftaid, I don't watch the white caps, although I'm well aware of the team, so I won't comment on their level of football. But I guess probably league 1 or there about. 
Not to down the White Caps...

the Championship in England is the fifth most expensive league in the world, so they do attract a lot of talent.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The White Caps would be like the Abby Canucks. A farm team. The second division clubs in England would still beat them. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

So you were there when Ronaldo was there. I am a big Juventus fan so we have something in common. Glad you guys took him off our hands. :)

He is a legend though. It’s nice you got to see him deliver you the Champions League trophy. It might be the last one you win for awhile. -_-

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you were there when Ronaldo was there. I am a big Juventus fan so we have something in common. Glad you guys took him off our hands. :)

He is a legend though. It’s nice you got to see him deliver you the Champions League trophy. It might be the last one you win for awhile. -_-

Sad the way it ended with Ronaldo coming back to Utd.

He is bar far the most electric football I've ever seen, even though he just started his move to stardom at Utd. 
I especially remember a game v Spurs, where were 2 down at half time. There was a sombre mood at Old Trafford, anf then Ronaldo took over. Utd was unplayable in that second half. Won 5-2...Just loved to see Ronnie. Could go home after any game and always on top of the discussions was some of the plays by Ronaldo. Unreal he was....
Didn't even blame him for leaving for Real Madrid although the soap opera was annoying. Was delighted when he wanted back, but that was huge mistake. 
One of the few to return to Old Trafford as a player of another team and get a standing ovation. RM won the game 2-1 will Ronaldo scoring after Utd had played them off the pitch, and the fans still clapped him off the pitch after the game. The love was real :wub:

• Huggy Bear 1

Reality is EP bet on himself and won.   With his bridge.   Subban did this, as have many others.    Doubt it's less than 10...if it is he's absolutely thinking about a cup and the team as well.   MT is like 11 in this market ... that's likely where EP will come in. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2023 at 1:53 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, an 8-year deal locks him up until he is 33 years old.  Pretty much his entire prime years.  The Sedins played an additional 5 years after age 33.  So Petey would still have a few years left most likely.  By that time however he would have played 14 years for us, so most likely he retires as a Canuck and the greatest player in Vancouver Canucks history.  This deal will be historic really...

Yes.  By the time he's done his 8 year deal with some injury luck, this kid could end up already over 1000 points.   He's just entering the best years ... a run of 5-6 more 100 point plus seasons isn't ridiculous.   Naslund was 27 when he started his peak, went on for 4-5 years, the Sedins were 29/30 when they had their boffo seasons, and 8 or so close to or over a PPG.   He's special.   Allvin will have a great off season if he can manage to sign EP for 8 years, and trade one of Garland, Beau or Brock, and add one more top four D, or solid 3C. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Reality is EP bet on himself and won.   With his bridge.   Subban did this, as have many others.    Doubt it's less than 10...if it is he's absolutely thinking about a cup and the team as well.   MT is like 11 in this market ... that's likely where EP will come in. 

I dunno if he bet on himself or if management wasn't sure how he'd respond to that concussion. He played 26 games prior to signing the bridge deal. That concussion likely cost us a lot of money. Giving him the Jack Hughes 8x8 would have been really nice instead of a bridge. He will get paid, and we're not even a playoff team yet.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno if he bet on himself or if management wasn't sure how he'd respond to that concussion. He played 26 games prior to signing the bridge deal. That concussion likely cost us a lot of money. Giving him the Jack Hughes 8x8 would have been really nice instead of a bridge. He will get paid, and we're not even a playoff team yet.

Given the cap situation at the time, im sure JB offered him the same deal QHs had - it made no difference to our cap so close to 8 x 6.   He absolutely bet on himself, another 500k wouldn't have made much difference.   Too bad JB didn't manage to get him on the QHs special though...that said we aren't quite ready to truly compete anyways, and this way instead of maybe only 8-9 years, we can have him for 14 so no complaints.   And yes he did bank in himself, look at how it's going to work out for him...much richer man.    Career earnings wise, this couldn't have worked out better for him.    An 8 year guaranteed deal injury or playing.    Now he's got 14 years of earnings coming his way.    As for Subban, he's probably one of the best examples of a player banking on himself and later not coming close to worth it.   That's a 11-12 million dollar deal on todays money. After a shortened Norris trophy season.   

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

He will be in the 10-11 mark hopefully for 8years

His agent mentioned a Barzal comparable contract

9.15 x 8 years

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/signing-elias-pettersson-barzal-esque-extension-major-coup-vancouver-canucks

Ya I get his play has gone off the charts since but 11 is ridiculous. 

Let’s go 9.5 - 10 per 

Edited by grandmaster

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

His agent mentioned a Barzal comparable contract

9.15 x 8 years

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/signing-elias-pettersson-barzal-esque-extension-major-coup-vancouver-canucks

Ya I get his play has gone off the charts since but 11 is ridiculous. 

Let’s go 9.5 - 10 per 

Add to that the tax issues, and that alone should make Peteys deal go higher. 

PA has been good at getting value for money so far, but they don't wanna piss their priced asset off by lowballing him like Horvat. 

• Cheers 1