The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

It's interesting to see a lot of people immediately pounce to the negative. Me, personally, I think these 4-year RFA deals are much better for the league and teams rather than being saddled with 8-year contracts that go horribly bad with injuries or age.

Sure there's cost-certainty but we've also seen too many teams piss money down the drain. 4-5 year deals are just better to take on cap/term wise.

This also puts the onus on the team to build a better team around their star. 

I mean, also, it makes sense to hold off to time an extension to the cap increasing.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:54 AM, steviewonder20 said:

Recent article had our prospect pool at 24th in the league. The problem noted was the lack of tier one prospects, you know, the kind we would have drafted if they didn’t go on their annual suicide run to lose a top 5 pick in a very deep draft.

Exactly right. They play the early to mid part of the season as if they don't care whether they miss the playoffs, but then when they are officially eliminated, they play like hell to ensure they don't get a top 5 pick. All for the sake of "culture"...as if getting a top 5 pick would destroy the unassailable "culture" of this noble franchise :lol:

On 8/25/2023 at 4:38 AM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Oh no worries, I know exactly why. 

The issue is that we have 2 young, superstar players that aren't going to sit around for a rebuild and have been open about it, so management's hands are forced. 

Then maybe it's time to reconsider what to do with those two young superstars.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:22 AM, rekker said:

I don't blame EP for wanting to see the team turnaround before signing a lengthy deal. I really don't. But man, I'd be heartbroken if EP wasn't a part of this team for years and years. I really, really love watching this player in green and blue, and 94 retro. He is as brilliant a talent as we've ever had and a fierce competitor. 

Tbh I'd be more heartbroken to see Quinn Hughes leave

Edited by dougieL
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Maybe this is all about the start. The start of the season was already the one of the most important in the teams history. Now it is even more.

Winning sure solves a lot of problems. If we could win games easy like we did in the Sedin era, this contract would be done 

Not at all.

Doesn't matter the start,matter if we make the playoffs.

21 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

well since u like to think EP shouldn't be paid what he is worth and cherry pick stats to support ur claims i'll cherry pick too. he's been well over a ppg for the last 143 games of the season which is exactly 1.5 seasons. but let's look back at stats during his slump from inept coaching and players aren't suppose to continue to get better as they grow towards their prime.. or u think EP is already maxed out in his prime and destined to decline at 25?

No, I expect him to be a 80-95 points player here on out. How much do you think that’s worth, on a mid-term deal? 9-11m is pretty much the market value with that kind of production. 

17 hours ago, Toews said:

They did with Eichel. He had to have a neck surgery and Vegas still paid the price to acquire him at full cost. Also when Eichel did sign his contract he still hadn't put up a ppg season and had a career ppg that was 0.79. He got paid 10M and that contract bought multiple RFA years. When Pettersson signed the contract that he is currently on, he had a higher ppg than Eichel ie.0.92. 

Now that Pettersson has only one RFA year left, he would laugh at your valuation of 9.5M-10.5M. That is what we could have paid him on an 8 year contract a couple of years ago. But our moron of a GM decided to prioritize other needs than locking up our best player.

I don't blame Pettersson at all for not if he is not considering a discount, compared to his contemporaries he has been underpaid. Eichel has a lesser ppg than Pettersson yet has a much higher career earnings. When Pettersson signed that bridge deal he gave up quite a bit of money, he will want to recoup some of that on the next contract. 

I like how you used one of the worst possible contract out there. Buffalo pretty much caved in and gave Eichel a blank check and told him to write down a dollar amount to keep him happy. 

If you want to compare contract situations. Rantanen and Barkov are the players you should be looking  at. 

From age 20-24

Barkov - .99 ppg

Rantanen - .97 ppg

Edited by shiznak

41 minutes ago, shiznak said:

No, I expect him to be a 80-95 points player here on out. How much do you think that’s worth, on a mid-term deal? 9-11m is pretty much the market value with that kind of production. 

I like how you used one of the worst possible contract out there. Buffalo pretty much caved in and gave Eichel a blank check and told him to right down a dollar amount to keep him happy. 

If you want to compare contract situations. Rantanen and Barkov are the players you should be looking  at. 

From age 20-24

Barkov - .99 ppg

Rantanen - .97 ppg

Barkov is probably the best comparable to Petey in the entire NHL.  Barkov signed his contract on October 8, 2021.  So almost two years ago.  So, his $10 million deal took up 12% of the cap.  If Petey signs an extension at $10.5 million then he will also take up 12% of the cap next season.  Problem is Barkov plays in Florida so Barkov's $10 million is the equivalent of $11.5 million in Vancouver.  Add the extra $500,000 and you are at $12 million AAV with Petey. Which is most likely what he is looking for on an 8-year deal.

Most likely, Petey signs a 4-year deal similar to Matthews.  That is my prediction.  If we could get him at 10x4 or even 10.5x4 that might be the best compromise as it allows us a little more flexibility with the cap and the 4 years puts Petey's contract expiring one year after Hughes.  So, if Hughes re-signs with us then most likely Petey follows.  if not, we probably lose both players and our rebuild starts...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I like how you used one of the worst possible contract out there. Buffalo pretty much caved in and gave Eichel a blank check and told him to right down a dollar amount to keep him happy. 

From age 20-24

Barkov - .99 ppg

Rantanen - .97 ppg

so you are expecting Pettersson who's been playing with a carousel of wingers the last couple season and still set a career high in points while avg over 1.2 in his last 1.5 season to regress and can't even match his career high? okie

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Again, originally I wasn't comparing contract, I was comparing players.  As a player, EP is in a tier with Hughes, Barzal and Aho, whereas Matthews is with McDavid, Draitsail, MacK.  

We all know Hughes signed a bargain deal when the cap was flat.  That deal was signed in 2021, with a flat cap, 2 underwhelmed season and a lot of revenue uncertainties for the NHL.  Fast forward two years and take away those uncertainties and a rising salary cap, that contract easily worth 10M$ nowadays.  That's what I meant when I said you could use Hughes as a comparable when factoring these elements.

Personally EP'S range is 10.5-11.5M$.  That's a good deal for both party.  Under 10.5 is awesome for the Canucks and above 11.5M$ is awesome for EP imo.  

This exactly.  Also add Barkov, plus cap going up and plus some for taxes.   Would say anything under 10, is awesome for the team 10.5-11.5 is the fair range both sides, anything over that...it's not great for the team.  

Comparing other deals from the past, always should be done based on cap percentages.   So far, Sundin was offered closed to the max.   That was just a weird deal.    Naslund got 13.6% of the cap,  and he was at the time, a top 1-3 forward in the league.    Had already proved that beyond a doubt, best line in hockey at the time. 

The Sedins got 10.74, five year deal, after doing a season or so of PPG on the top line...fair for sure.   Then their last deal, at 33ish got a three year deal at 10.89%.    

For me at least, EP has earned a deal higher than the Sedins, but less than Naslund got.   Naslund was proven, all UFA years.   So somewhere in the 12-12.5 range.   Assuming the cap goes up to 88.5 next season, that's a starting cap hit of 10.62 -11.06.    IF EP did a Mathews type deal, you'd have to make it a five year deal given the extra year  (no problem with that either) but add at least a million to it, shorter term, higher money.      So 11.62-12.06 for five years.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I like how you used one of the worst possible contract out there. Buffalo pretty much caved in and gave Eichel a blank check and told him to write down a dollar amount to keep him happy. 

From age 20-24

Barkov - .99 ppg

Rantanen - .97 ppg

The Hockey News has EP with another 100 point season.    Of all the players we've had, other than Bure and Mogilny maybe, he's the only one that has the tools to have a run of 5-7 years of 100 plus points.    Maybe you're right, but if that's the case it will be because he misses some games,  and or he's spending his time in the defensive zone.   EP doesn't cheat to get his points.    Barkov is the best comp for sure.   Rantanen is a winger and totally different player. 

As for Barkov.   No state tax.   Take his deal,  and with the assumption cap goes up to 88.5 next season, that puts EPs salary at least 10.5.   80 points, sure if he's 65-70 games.   I expect, with him now entering his best years, until he's 32-33, that his point per game climbs well above anything we've seen aside from Bure. 

Edit:  Don't think there is a hockey guy (including The Hockey Guy), out there, that expects EP to get less then 10 on his next deal.   And you've got it backwards, on a mid-term deal, the price goes way up.  Buying a players prime years only ... costs money.   On a five year deal, he's going to get close to what McDavid does right now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are expecting Pettersson who's been playing with a carousel of wingers the last couple season and still set a career high in points while avg over 1.2 in his last 1.5 season to regress and can't even match his career high? okie

Well that was a nice way to say it.    EP on this team, which lets be real lacks a lot from the backend, it's not like EP is bloating his stats on the power play either, one of the better EV strength scorers in the league ...  He's not getting 70% plus o-zone starts like the Sedins got year after year either.    Imagine if he did, and he actually had a sniper on his wing.   Kuzmenko is the guy we should expect to regress, not like he was filling the net in the KHL.   Imagine if Brock was the same guy he was as a rookie ... and now in his prime much improved.   Both EP and Brock would be scoring 50 each.   If he can make a guy like Kuzmenko a close to 40 goal guy, what could he do with a legit top tier winger ?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Funny how players know the media and the fans are overreactive and intense in this market yet our players still go out and do summer interviews that fan the flames of speculation.

Wonder what the Canucks management thought of his Friedman interview. Coincidence that the Canucks send out a video of Petey today saying hi to Canucks fans. :lol:

EP said he wants to win so yes I can see him digging a 4 to 5 year deal.

If 8 we might be looking at close to 12 mill per as I said earlier.

But if he does deside not to stay in the future yes him and QH will both want out.

Just hope it's not another retool.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Funny how players know the media and the fans are overreactive and intense in this market yet our players still go out and do summer interviews that fan the flames of speculation.

Wonder what the Canucks management thought of his Friedman interview. Coincidence that the Canucks send out a video of Petey today saying hi to Canucks fans. :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I see Petey playing us all along. The guy won’t Re-up here unless we win up to the Conference Finals or something in this upcoming season.

At this point the guy wants nothing to do with us unless the team turns into a powerhouse (which I think we can)

• Vintage 1

Well some how again we really need some cap room.EP wants to win and our D got better,our forwards are good.

We need Demko to stay healthy and a couple players not named EP,QH or Miller to have career years and we should be a good team making the playoffs.