The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There Anything We Can Do to Bring About a Change in Ownership?

Rate this topic

TFerguson

Let's try and simply this.  Aquilini owns Rogers Arena and the land it's sitting on.  That land is located in one of the most expensive areas of Vancouver, downtown.  He could theoretically tear down Rogers Arena and make billions selling $1 million+ condos.  

Given this information, why would Aquilini spend $500 million to upgrade a building he could simply tear down and make billions from the land it's sitting on?  Why would a new owner buy the team for $1 billion without having any control over the rink?  If someone has some good answers to these questions, please post them.

IMO, and this is not insider information but from people I've talked to in the real estate industry, the Aquilini family's long-term plan for that land is to re-develop it at some point.  When those viaducts come down that land will become even more valuable and that whole area is going to be re-developed.  So, at some point the Canucks will have to move to another location.  I can see Aquilini buying some land out in the suburbs and then building a brand-new rink with the help of the provincial government, similar to what Calgary is doing.  No way Aquilini is going to spend $1.5 billion of his own money to build a brand-new arena.  Only Arthur Griffiths was dumb enough to do that and he eventually ran out of money and had to sell the team and the rink and all that land for pennies on the dollar to Aquilini...

• Cheers 1

No way unless you can get and share compromising images and videos of Aqua doing something to an underage girl/boy or saying something clearly racist/sexist. That or somehow trick the Aqualini group into bankruptcy or find white-collar crimes that would lead to the group's bankruptcy.

Those are the only way for the nhl to force a sale of this team.

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Remember when Tom Gaglardi fought to take ownership of the team?

Personally I don't like either owner. You can love a team, but not like the ownership.

We have seen first hand when a team sucks for years, and attendance reflects it. There's a strong danger the solution for the owner is just move to a new city.

(i.e. Grizzlies)

If Vancouver suddenly had only 5000 fans a night. Ownership wouldn't sell the team. They'd move it. And sell the valuable property the arena is sitting on.

As I said. You want an ownership change? Find a better deep pocketed owner to buy the team.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have a good owner for money stuff. He just needs to keep his snout out of hockey ops. And after the whole Boudreau issues this past year I think he might have leaned his lesson. We might see him actually listing to management, instead of directing them. We might see an OEL buyout! How awesome would that be? 

I'd love to believe Aqua-lini has learned his lesson, but this aint the first time I've heard that "he's learned his lesson".   From the Mike Gillis days, to Benning, to Boudreau, to the Linden Fiasco, to the Luongo love affair, and on and on it goes.  He  never learns and continues to meddle and inflict this franchise with his short term compulsive, misguided thinking.    There is no hope for Aqua-Lini and why he needs to step aside. All Canucks problems for over a decade lead back to one person - and one person only! 

No need to put lip-stick on this....P_ _ !

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Let's try and simply this.  Aquilini owns Rogers Arena and the land it's sitting on.  That land is located in one of the most expensive areas of Vancouver, downtown.  He could theoretically tear down Rogers Arena and make billions selling $1 million+ condos.  

Given this information, why would Aquilini spend $500 million to upgrade a building he could simply tear down and make billions from the land it's sitting on?  Why would a new owner buy the team for $1 billion without having any control over the rink?  If someone has some good answers to these questions, please post them.

IMO, and this is not insider information but from people I've talked to in the real estate industry, the Aquilini family's long-term plan for that land is to re-develop it at some point.  When those viaducts come down that land will become even more valuable and that whole area is going to be re-developed.  So, at some point the Canucks will have to move to another location.  I can see Aquilini buying some land out in the suburbs and then building a brand-new rink with the help of the provincial government, similar to what Calgary is doing.  No way Aquilini is going to spend $1.5 billion of his own money to build a brand-new arena.  Only Arthur Griffiths was dumb enough to do that and he eventually ran out of money and had to sell the team and the rink and all that land for pennies on the dollar to Aquilini...

Does this mean that Surrey's getting the canucks?   Just askin........

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Does this mean that Surrey's getting the canucks?   Just askin........

Surrey would be my bet.  Land is alot cheaper out there.  Aquilini and the city could buy 5 acres of land and redevelop it with a new rink, new practice facility and lots of commercial and residential properties as well.  Plus, they would only be like 20 minutes from Abbotsford, so even closer to the farm team.  Parking would be so much easier as well.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

On 4/27/2023 at 6:35 AM, -DLC- said:

Remember....this fanbase doesn't consider "getting in" or losing in the first couple of rounds contending.

Be careful what you wish for...new owners could mean new city. 

Curious debs. How does our fanbase define contending? Last few years it felt like making playoffs was enough for some folks here.

And Bettman takes Vancouver and the CAD market for granted yes but I highly doubt he'd authorize a team to exit vancouver. We indirectly pay for Arizona's bills!

• Wat 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:14 PM, TFerguson said:

In my opinion we are one of the most irrelevant teams in the NHL primarily because we've seemed to lack intelligence when it comes to strategically building back after 2011. It was painful watching Boston win in 2011 but the fact that they've been contending basically every year since then has been salt in the wound. We're among the bottom of the league when it comes to playoff appearances in the last 8 years (not counting the bubble illusion) and somehow we've managed to become one of the most cap tight and contract inefficient teams at the same time!

I think our current management groups is the brightest we've had in a while and I'm rooting for them. But it's ownership and ownership alone that's responsible for the fact that our management teams have been consistently tasked with making the playoffs rather than being given the chance to build it back (case in point, Trevor Linden). It's also ownership that is responsible for us being the last team in the NHL (with the news this week on Calgary) to not have a practice facility. Our ownership has made news consistently over the years for shady business practices and this year domestic abuse allegations took this to a new level (I was hoping for the NHL to step in at that point...but apparently that's not embarrassing enough).

I can't imagine the Aquilini's selling the Canucks (which I think it's more out of a love for real-estate than the team). But I also can't imagine something that would invigorate this market more than a new ownership group coming in with a comprehensive and intelligent plan for turning things around including investing in a FULL renovation of the arena, a practice facility, and a vision for building a contender through drafting and development. 

Some people I know are jumping ship on the Canucks right not but I'm all in as a fan of this team. I just feel like it's the ownership above all else that gives me a sense of hopelessness for the future...

So is there anything we can do to force/pressure for a change in ownership (besides abandoning the team altogether)?

I’m not going to get into this too much other than saying…..

…..the grass isn’t always greener on the other side! 

• Cheers 1

Is There Anything We Can Do to Bring About a Change in Ownership?

Other than organizing the fans to boycott the Canucks (which would be next to impossible), because

apart from CDH, most fans probably don't have the same 'hate' for the ownership.

So, no.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Surrey would be my bet.  Land is alot cheaper out there.  Aquilini and the city could buy 5 acres of land and redevelop it with a new rink, new practice facility and lots of commercial and residential properties as well.  Plus, they would only be like 20 minutes from Abbotsford, so even closer to the farm team.  Parking would be so much easier as well.  

Considering the price of land downtown and the lack of large empty lots, unless they renovate the existing stadium, i can't see them replacing anything in the downtown core unless they do a land swap or tear down an entire city block of buildings - which i guess is possible.  No mater Rogers place is getting close to the end of its life and has seen better days.   

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Considering the price of land downtown and the lack of large empty lots, unless they renovate the existing stadium, i can't see them replacing anything in the downtown core unless they do a land swap or tear down an entire city block of buildings - which i guess is possible.  No mater Rogers place is getting close to the end of its life and has seen better days.   

Land is too expensive downtown.  There is no way that Aquilini will use up that valuable land to build a hockey rink.  From what I hear Rogers Arena will get a new Jumbotron next year as well as the new seats.  They already renovated the dressing rooms as well, so I don't think we will see anything else done to that building, other than maybe the bathrooms.

A complete renovation for like $500 million will never happen IMO.  I'm sure Aquilini would rather tear it down and build a new rink somewhere else then spend $500 million renovating a 30-year-old building...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TFerguson said:

I’m surprised by the support ownership still has on this board. 

I agree with those who’ve said winning will change everything. That’s what I’m hoping for. 

Din not say I support ownership, just know all I can do is not pay money for anything Canucks related (no tickets to games no merch ect). They don't get my money, that is the only thing I can do to show my frustration. However I am still a fan of the team, probably always will be. Love some of the players, like the new management and coaching staff at the moment.

23 hours ago, stawns said:

Imagine, a boss who wants input on the business he puts hundreds of millions of dollars into.  The gall of some people

That is true. But doesn't mean the boss is successful what millions are being put in

Edited by BureBurrito

On 4/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, Baggins said:

Everybody seemed to love him when the team was winning. You know, when he spent money without a second thought. Like upgrading the workout and dressing rooms, a chamber to speed up injury recovery, a sports psycologist, sleep, doctor, nutritionist. Burying one way contracts in the minors, buying out contracts, and even green lighting cap circumvention (Luongo) that put team salary above the cap limit. He still seems to spend money without a thought. Spending to the cap, buyouts, sending one way contracts to the AHL. That gets ignored and he's called cheap for wanting to make the playoffs. I don't think he "interferes" nearly as much as some like to claim. The real issue is he didn't green light what some fans wanted - a full on tanking of the team. When a team isn't winning fans need somebody to point fingers at.

This, he takes way too much flack on here from people who know less than he does about running a business.

• Cheers 1