The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Boston free agent Connor Clifton

RD Connor Clifton is currently making 1m per year. Last season he had 5 goals and 18 assists on a stacked Bruins team. After their first round exit in the playoffs and the fact that a lot of players are getting old on the team they might look at this as a time to make some changes. If they decide not to resign Clifton he might become available. He is listed as 5'11, 190 pounds. He is due for a raise but im not sure how much. Would he be worth pursuing and for what amount? 

Connor Clifton

Defense -- shoots R
Born Apr 28 1995 -- Matawan, NJ
[28 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 190 [180 cm/86 kg]
Drafted by Phoenix Coyotes
- round 5 #133 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Connor Clifton hockey player photo 

By going after Clifton I assume you are intending to let Bear walk and/or package Myers away.  He played well under sheltered minutes, so it makes me question what his true value is.  

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head, Chart

A reliable, two-way D-man who nonetheless got scratched for several games in the Bruins series.  He's probably worth $2-2.5M on the UFA market.  I think he'd be fine on the Canucks, but I also think we have players who can already fill that role.  I'd pass on him - for no compelling reason, though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A cardinal rule is never trade for or sign an upcoming free agent player from a team that wins the President's Trophy, and then shits the bed in the first round. 

I’d make the exception for Bertuzzi or Orlov though 100%. Clifton’s interesting but would he really be that much better than Bear?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I’d make the exception for Bertuzzi or Orlov though 100%. Clifton’s interesting but would he really be that much better than Bear?

Fair point. They weren't there long enough for the stink to set in. 

• Like 1

No need, we must have the most number 6-7 defencemen in the league. Burroughs can do his job even better for a fraction of the price. Bear can do a similar job for more of the cost. We don't need more bottom pairing guys - we need a top-4 stud. No more of these projects, former bottom guys on other teams who end up playing 20+ minutes with us and not being very good.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean, we were so trash we didn't even make the playoffs. 

Clifton is 28, too old

I'd take Carlo to help them out with their cap issues.  Maybe they'd swap us for Myers 50% retained..... nah!  But I'd still make room for Carlo (26)

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Clifton is 28, too old

I'd take Carlo to help them out with their cap issues.  Maybe they'd swap us for Myers 50% retained..... nah!  But I'd still make room for Carlo (26)

You’re not going to get a FA that much younger, so no he isn’t. 

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

You heard what Rutherford said.  Maybe they don't take FA's then.

They really don't need another 3rd pair D anyhow

They will need bodies on d especially since Myers will be moving on this offseason. 

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Clifton is 28, too old

I agree and we need to add a bigger D man..

1. Hughes 5'10 --2. Hronek  6'0   3. Bear 6'0 -- OEL 6'2 --    Juulsen RD 6'2  Wolanin 6'1 LD   Burroughs 6' LD   Johansson 6'1   Woo 6'0 RD{{ UFA -Graves 6'5  LD --}} Hirose 6'0  LD  McWard 6'2 RD

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree and we need to add a bigger D man..

1. Hughes 5'10 --2. Hronek  6'0   3. Bear 6'0 -- OEL 6'2 --    Juulsen RD 6'2  Wolanin 6'1 LD   Burroughs 6' LD   Johansson 6'1   Woo 6'0 RD{{ UFA -Graves 6'5  LD --}} Hirose 6'0  LD  McWard 6'2 RD

yes, and practically all of them are under 200 lbs.  Schenn was 6-2, 227 and the only one capable of clearing the net front

• Cheers 1

On the right side I see:

Hronek

Bear

It makes sense to move Myers but who knows if they can.  If they do I wonder if Juulsen gets a serious look on the bottom pair.  Hes stepping up this year and it might be his time to have a good off season and make the jump. 

5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

On the right side I see:

Hronek

Bear

It makes sense to move Myers but who knows if they can.  If they do I wonder if Juulsen gets a serious look on the bottom pair.  Hes stepping up this year and it might be his time to have a good off season and make the jump. 

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Wooly, Woo

DaMutt