The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

On 6/23/2023 at 5:56 PM, grandmaster said:

No way Canucks do this as we lose a majour piece for the team making the playoffs. All of the sudden we are down a #2C in addition to the 3C

I would disagree. Carlsson can slot into 2C/3C right away. Cap space cleared, and we get a young RHD, which I believe is a more dire need than a 3C right now. The dream would be to snag Jiricek, but that's a pipedream of course. Settle for Bean or Peeke. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:23 PM, MikeyD said:

Only reason I could see this is if they don't believe that the window will be during his prime contract years and moving things towards landing a better option for Petey's prime. 

The reality of OEL's buyout is another major factor here. Carlsson's ELC would help deal with that dead cap better. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, Gawdzukes said:

Pretty tempting. What else would make sense as Allvin stated his desire to move up? 

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's not a secret that Allvin is foaming at the mouth for Carlsson. I don't blame him, can you imagine a 1-2 punch with Petey?

Throw in Hoglander, Rathbone, a 3rd/4th round pick, I don't care, get it done. 

The Blue Jackets and Canucks are as good of a fit as trading partners as I've seen in a while. Take advantage of their glut of defenseman, and they need another forward to bolster their team who's desperate to win now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Building a team you must start from the backend, then centres and last wingers. Hockey USA has this as their model. One thing I never quite understood is why PA signed Mikhevey last summer ( as good as he is ) when in fact we needed a D. Maybe there was simplly no good D'men available, I can't recall

They said there was no market for good d-men. They were right as well. Nobody was getting moved and so every good d was being over-inflated in price. 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Carlsson - Boeser

Podkolzin - 3C (Karlsson?) - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka 

Hughes - Peeke

2LD (Soucey?) - Hronek

Johansson/Hirose/McWard/Juulsen/Woo - Myers

Yes please.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Carlsson - Boeser

Podkolzin - 3C (Karlsson?) - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka 

Hughes - Peeke

2LD (Soucey?) - Hronek

Johansson/Hirose/McWard/Juulsen/Woo - Myers

Yes please.

This ^^^ Alf likes nearly as much as booze!

image.jpeg.8e9404fc8638c6b431079422362b9344.jpeg

• There it is 1

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Does it matter if other teams have top 3 top 5 picks over the period when they are rebuilding?

You're not even getting the point I'm trying to make so you "prolly" won't ever. 

FTR: yes, it matters a whole lot because top 3 picks often are at a whole different level than others. Some "generational" players like Crosby, McDavid, etc. who are difference makers on their own. (Still doesn't guarantee anything though, does it?)

The goal isn't to accumulate picks or players, it's for the team to succeed and finding the right bunch of players who play well together. "Young" isn't always better than "experienced" in this deal...you do need a mix/balance.

I don't argue against everything you're saying...but I think there's this mindless campaign out there to grab all the picks and a young team and it's a secret formula to success. It's a bit more complicated than that and some picks just don't pan out and are fringe...that's sort of my point. This idea that we draft badly isn't completely wrong...but you ignore the fact that picking out of the top 3 or so is a bit tougher to nail...there ARE hits and misses.

Just to clarfiy...yes, calling someone anything is a personal attack but I don't care. I wear my homer badge with pride. I love this team, despite their flaws. Every team has them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol love how you are listing a bunch of fringe nhl ahler Lind woo gadj gaud etc you might as well name every single player in the system coz they have potential to be a fringe nhler. Does it matter if other teams have top 3 top 5 picks over the period when they are rebuilding? So every other team players are loser and don’t want to win and are trying to help the tank??  Also pretty sure all of those teams were sellers every year at the trade deadline to amass as many picks as possible mean while Vancouver is never a seller and don’t know how to asset manage because they are delusional and don’t believe they are a rebuilding team year in year out. Not only is our drafting track record bad we have the fewest draft picks of teams that finish bottom 10 the last decade and the fewest 1st rounders. 

you can list all the fringe players you like doesn’t change the fact most if not all will likely not ever become a regular nhler and we still have the fewest nhl game played by draft picks in the last 10 years and fewest points produced. 

Detroit finished ahead of us and is trending in the right direction and they never have a top 3 picks. They might not have a EP or a QH but their prospect pool is pretty deep and their team is super young. At least they have a clear direction of what and where they are heading. 

calling someone a Homer is not a personal attack haven’t a personal bias is not a bad thing but some people take it to the extreme

In the last 7 seasons they haven't played a season of .500 hockey, and finished no higher than 5th in their division during that period. 7 years of trending, I guess. Why have they traded guys like Bertuzzi, and Hronek if they're trending in the right direction? Not a good example of trending in the right direction.

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, 22Sedinery33 said:

I think the Canucks should go with a defenseman. Either William Willander or Dmitri Simashev I would be happy with. Personally, I am not sold on ASP and Reinbacher will be most likely gone before our pick.

I think Vancouver will have 3 or 4 very good players to pick from at #11.

Willander 6'1 RD -- -Danielson 6'1 C. WHL-- Simashev - Moore 5'11 C-- Wood 6'3. W/C.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

In the last 7 seasons they haven't played a season of .500 hockey, and finished no higher than 5th in their division during that period. 7 years of trending, I guess. Why have they traded guys like Bertuzzi, and Hronek if they're trending in the right direction? Not a good example of trending in the right direction.

"Trending in the right direction"   356211749_10160339025180549_913538425286

I shortened my post (walls of text are my thing it seems) and took the Detroit part out.

But some people here have tunnel vision and it's the "MOAR PICKZ" unproven success that they refer to. As with my original post...you have to track results too. 

Well said JG21!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think Vancouver will have 3 or 4 very good players to pick from at #11.

Willander 6'1 RD -- -Danielson 6'1 C. WHL-- Simashev - Moore 5'11 C-- Wood 6'3. W/C.

Definitely, I agree with you there. It will be an exciting draft and a lot of moving parts throughout the league. Should be fun to watch. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

lol.. they were literally right in the playoff spot battle till they decide let's continue to rebuild and continue to sell off asset and turning it into futures.. at least they know their window to compete isn't now and continue building towards it. meanwhile us? we are treating each season like this is our window and every year falling face first into the mud.. look at our records in the last 3 seasons. we are sub .500 against teams that made the playoffs while being god likes against the lottery teams while maxed out to the cap every season

spending 7 seasons haven't played a season of .500 hockey while rebuilding and spending no where near the cap amassing prospect sure is less embarassing than maxing the cap every season and missing the playoff every year except the year where we were saved by covid because we were on a massive losing streak/slump and free falling to the bottom. no team have spent more cap have less picks and prospect and missed the playoffs more than the canucks in the last 10 years.

bertuzzi is an asset they weren't planning on re-signing. Hronek they sold ultra high on for a guy that have concussion history and traded while having a significant injury that he may or may not ever fully recover.. while he still have 2 years of RFA remaining.. regardless of how good or bad you think he is.. there should be some red flags.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. they were literally right in the playoff spot battle till they decide let's continue to rebuild and continue to sell off asset and turning it into futures.. at least they know their window to compete isn't now and continue building towards it. meanwhile us? we are treating each season like this is our window and every year falling face first into the mud.. look at our records in the last 3 seasons. we are sub .500 against teams that made the playoffs while being god likes against the lottery teams while maxed out to the cap every season

spending 7 seasons haven't played a season of .500 hockey while rebuilding and spending no where near the cap amassing prospect sure is less embarassing than maxing the cap every season and missing the playoff every year except the year where we were saved by covid because we were on a massive losing streak/slump and free falling to the bottom. no team have spent more cap have less picks and prospect and missed the playoffs more than the canucks in the last 10 years.

bertuzzi is an asset they weren't planning on re-signing. Hronek they sold ultra high on for a guy that have concussion history and traded while having a significant injury that he may or may not ever fully recover.. while he still have 2 years of RFA remaining.. regardless of how good or bad you think he is.. there should be some red flags.

excellent post - ! It's such a pleasure to read a post from a fan who knows what he's talking about. It's so refreshing to read such a quality post here. Thanks. It's obvious that Yzerman has not only a plan but also a strategy how to build a contender.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

No one really knows when they'll hit their stride and until they prove they had the timing right on their window, you can't really tout their "success".

And the highlighted part isn't really true.

I've been at games where we beat the Avs (we've beat them the last 3 out of 4 times we've played them), Tampa (yes, they've beat us but a few games recently were by 1 goal...hardly blow outs), we gave Vegas a good go (thanks Demko) after beating the Wild and Blues in the playoffs. People slough that off but it's not really "falling face first into the mud". This team dug itself out of HUGE hole and that, in itself, was something worth noting. Yes...they put themselves there to begin with but they're not what you say they are. 

So no.

And your take is that Detroit is "less embarrassing" "because". Until they do something they're doing nothing (too).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Show me then, how is this model working. 7 years, is still seven years no matter how you slice it. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

excellent post - ! It's such a pleasure to read a post from a fan who knows what he's talking about. It's so refreshing to read such a quality post here. Thanks. It's obvious that Yzerman has not only a plan but also a strategy how to build a contender.

They're not contending...so there's no proof to his plan yet. There MAY be (or may not be), but right now...nope. But I really love how they finished the year strong (oh wait....)

vs Buffalo (loss)

vs Carolina (loss)

vs Dallas (loss)

vs Pittsburgh (loss)

vs Tampa (shut out loss)

"Trending in the right direction"

At some point, you do have to start winning and establishing that end of things. Unless you think the draft picks you're hoarding will suddenly swoop in and change everything. That's part of the "moar pickz" crowd thinking that assumes everything will fall into place. Maybe it will.

I love the Detroit homerism (it's not a personal attack) though. Awesome stuff.

My friend is a huge Detroit fan...she's not quite as happy about them as you are.

Anyhow...let's talk about us (the draft). I'm excited for it and anyone still living in the past is missing some joy in the here and now. There are reasons to be optimistic about this team.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

And why did Yzerboy have to apologize at his season ending presser for trading Hronek and causing the team’s collapse? Hronek was a steal. He’s an elite right shot D who is only 25. Yzerboy was hoping Slo Mo could take on more responsibilities but he learned that guy is following the same path as our beloved Chaos Giraffe. 
Detroit will take ASP at 9OA. They need a puck moving D to replace the huge hole created by trading Hronek. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And why did Yzerboy have to apologize at his season ending presser for trading Hronek and causing the team’s collapse? Hronek was a steal. He’s an elite right shot D who is only 25. Yzerboy was hoping Slo Mo could take on more responsibilities but he learned that guy is following the same path as our beloved Chaos Giraffe. 
Detroit will take ASP at 9OA. They need a puck moving D to replace the huge hole created by trading Hronek. 

Hronek is looking like a fantastic move.  It's a move that we needed "moar pickz" in order to make.  :)

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

"Trending in the right direction"   356211749_10160339025180549_913538425286

I shortened my post (walls of text are my thing it seems) and took the Detroit part out.

But some people here have tunnel vision and it's the "MOAR PICKZ" unproven success that they refer to. As with my original post...you have to track results too. 

Well said JG21!

I think part of the point he's trying to make is if your team sucks, like ours has the past (7-10) years you should hopefully be doing things like accumulating high picks, while not spending to the cap, and planning for the future. Detroit has done that quite well and we haven't. As such they have a far better prospect pool and one could argue a better platform to build a team. Not to say it guarantees them success or anything, they of course still have their challenges (lack our top end talent) but 5 picks in the top 43 this year is going to potentially set them up very nicely in addition to their already solid pipeline. I think any honest person would have to admit this.

I don't really think it adds value to have a pissing contest about who is better at being worse but there is definitely value in having high picks while you are building your team up from the bottom. As @wai_lai416 mentioned spending to the cap through Covid was a poor, short-sighted move that set the franchise back years. We should have been far better situated in terms of both prospects and cap expenditures. Unfortunately, those cards are played and we are left navigating through a bit of tricky times cap wise. Hopefully Allvin and Co pull it off.

• There it is 1