The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They traded fairly good assets, because the ED helped them choose a lot of good defenseman,,a good goalie, and several good 2nd and 3rd liners. imo

Agreed. The ED provided the assets to make the trades needed to get guys like Stone and Eichel. The point is building a winning club is accomplished more via trades and free agency than through the draft. Having assets to make the key trades is important. Exactly how Vegas got Stone and Eichel. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. The ED provided the assets to make the trades needed to get guys like Stone and Eichel. The point is building a winning club is accomplished more via trades and free agency than through the draft. Having assets to make the key trades is important. Exactly how Vegas got Stone and Eichel. 

Starting with no bad contracts in the cap era is kind of a leg up too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Pretty easy run for Vegas. Didn't run into anyone everyone thought was a contender before the playoffs. 

That's a huge part of Cup runs.

Florida had a crazy route to get there, but Vegas was pretty easy since the West sucks and they didn't have to play a healthy Avs.

The 2012 Kings had an easy run too, beating a Canucks team without Daniel, then a Fluke Blues team, then the Coyotes where Smith was their star player, and finally New Jersey in the Finals.

Part of the luck is who you play; Vancouver likely beats Philadelphia or New Jersey in the Cup Finals, but were off a year for both and got Boston.

• Like 1

Just now, c00kies said:

That's a huge part of Cup runs.

Florida had a crazy route to get there, but Vegas was pretty easy since the West sucks and they didn't have to play a healthy Avs.

The 2012 Kings had an easy run too, beating a Canucks team without Daniel, then a Fluke Blues team, then the Coyotes where Smith was their star player, and finally New Jersey in the Finals.

Part of the luck is who you play; Vancouver likely beats Philadelphia or New Jersey in the Cup Finals, but were off a year for both and got Boston.

That Blues team really wasn't a fluke.  They always had a VERY deep blueline.  Their issue was that their forwards tended to shoot blanks in the post-season.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately we'll never know how good Luc Bourdon could've been.:(

We know that Gillis couldn't draft & that was Benning's strength.  So why the huge gap (as of this date)?  Sure defensemen often take longer to develop but it's been like 8 years since Gillis was fired.  Where are these defensemen?

We always go for this BPA crap in the draft, no plan to build a team. Been like this since we drafted the Sedins from what i can remember.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No surprise.  This is probably the first time in decades that I didn't even watch 1 full game of the finals.  Definitely 1st time since I became a hockey fan that I didn't watch the Cup being awarded.  

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/news/nhl-witnessing-a-decline-in-stanley-cup-final-viewership

Yeah,

It was a pretty boring finals. 

NHL is losing it's soul. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks should fold and then apply for expansion status. 

I also look forward to a couple years from now when Jack Rathbone scores 70 points for like the Penguins and every Canuck fan questions why we ever traded him, when literally everyone's proposal I see on this forum includes him as a filler. 

Edited by Kurt Nirvanagut
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah,

It was a pretty boring finals. 

NHL is losing it's soul. 

I’m sure a lot of hardcore fans had no appetite to watch a team in their 6th year win a championship.  1st year Vegas was different they were an against all odds type underdog.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I still think the most reasonable compromise is you need to dress a cap compliant roster for playoff games.  Have a 10 million guy on ltir fine,  he’s back for game 1 of the playoffs also fine but you need to bench an equivalent amount of cap space so you don’t gain an advantage other than depth maybe.

• Cheers 2

Injuries really factor in during playoffs. Learning the Panthers had a few players out there with broken bones...depleted rosters just try to hang in there.

So many things have to fall into place to win a cup. As I've said a million times, goaltending being huge. But injuries also really come into play more than we know at surface level...teams try to battle through them but it's a real grind out there. Lopsided officiating can also really start to seep in if a team's allowed to get away with stuff.

Screw Vegas. 

And Florida.