The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We may already have our 3C...

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

according to eliteprospect.com :

"A dynamic scoring center with good hockey sense. Not very large in stature, but makes up for it in speed, skill, and cunning. A talented puck-handler with good hands: is equally efficient a passer as he is a goal scorer. All-in-all, an offensively minded center that can outplay the opposition in a number of different ways. Needs to work on discipline and getting stronger. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

since he started his nhl carreer he moved on the wings. But he spent his junior days at C. I read somewhere that this is the position he loves.

I would give him a serious try, centering the 3rd line.

and yeah, i'm talking about Anthony Beauvillier. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• deus.ex.makina changed the title to We may already have our 3C...

I think you raise an interesting point. I had no idea he was drafted as a centre. We're currently either not satisfied with the readyness of Raty or other proospects. Beauvillier could be the next best option.  One small point though I looked him up when he played Shawinigan and they had him listed as a LW. Maybe you havebetter infor than me

Edited by Fred65

Why aren't we looking at Dakota Joshua? Seems like the obvious fit to me. Only caveat is that 23 points is a little low for a 3rd liner, but his face-off percentage is fairly strong despite being used mostly as a winger in Vancouver. If he can up his game to 30 points, he'd be an easy fit.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Why aren't we looking at Dakota Joshua? Seems like the obvious fit to me. Only caveat is that 23 points is a little low for a 3rd liner, but his face-off percentage is fairly strong despite being used mostly as a winger in Vancouver. If he can up his game to 30 points, he'd be an easy fit.

Exactly my take.

We need to start using the guys we already have and develop them into actual core pieces. I don’t want us to go after a 3C and sign them to term and money. I’d try Joshua as a center considering he was natural center. He has offensive upside and has a ton of strength and he has also has noticeable athleticism for a big body like his. 

Joshua was a tremendous find by Allvin, I hope he evolves to becoming a staple third liner for us for the next 5-8 years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He only averaged around 11 minutes a night.  When he played higher in the lineup he seemed to have better production.  If we are signing Lucic to play the enforcer role on the 4th line then we can slide Joshua up to 3C.  That would be the cheapest way to do this and we also get tougher as well...

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He only averaged around 11 minutes a night.  When he played higher in the lineup he seemed to have better production.  If we are signing Lucic to play the enforcer role on the 4th line then we can slide Joshua up to 3C.  That would be the cheapest way to do this and we also get tougher as well...

Joshua getting more minutes is a very realistic outlook given how Tocchet seemed to like putting him up and down the lineup.  I suspect by the end of the season Joshua will have played with just about every forward at some point.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Anthony Beauvillier Faceoffs Stats NHL Stats | FOX Sports
Besides his first season where he took 166 draws, he's never taken more than 57 in a year, and he was a dismal 3-10 in this past year.  I'd be open to try Raty or even Karlsson before Beauvillier (his 69.2% was from going 9-4 over 68 games, so not the biggest sample size). 

Beauvillier doesn’t kill penalties so he couldn’t be a 3C. Joshua does kill penalties and also has size and toughness. Joshua is also well over 50% in the faceoff circle in limited time there. Putting him at 3C could be a good way to give him more minutes and responsibilities. When Joshua was moved up the lineup that is when he seemed to play better. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Beauvillier doesn’t kill penalties so he couldn’t be a 3C. Joshua does kill penalties and also has size and toughness. Joshua is also well over 50% in the faceoff circle in limited time there. Putting him at 3C could be a good way to give him more minutes and responsibilities. When Joshua was moved up the lineup that is when he seemed to play better. 

Does Joshua have the fitness, quickness, and hockey smarts to be an effective C in his own zone? The d zone responsibilities are a lot more involved for him as a C than at winger. If he can that would be great. Seems like we should at least try him there and see if he can think the game quick enough to play the role defensively. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Joshua have the fitness, quickness, and hockey smarts to be an effective C in his own zone? The d zone responsibilities are a lot more involved for him as a C than at winger. If he can that would be great. Seems like we should at least try him there and see if he can think the game quick enough to play the role defensively. 

I don’t think we would find all this out until he plays as a 3C. Would need to move him at training camp and preseason. Problem is if he doesn’t pan out we are kinda screwed. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t mind Lucic, but if we want some more speed and younger guy, Miles Wood would be terrific on the 4th line. PK guy too.

A hope could be that the Sedins and Ryan Johnson work Raty in the off season, get him training smart and hard to take that next step. Not sure he's ready for the Canucks just yet, but maybe he comes to camp in great shape and ready to compete? 

I wonder if Joshua would be that much better a C than Aman.

Maybe they can find (UFA, trade) a veteran C who's not too expensive, short term, until Raty is ready. 

It's not great that Raty is the only C I have on my Canucks Top 10 prospects list. Might be good for them to draft one of: Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore or Danielson, if possible.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

A hope could be that the Sedins and Ryan Johnson work Raty in the off season, get him training smart and hard to take that next step. Not sure he's ready for the Canucks just yet, but maybe he comes to camp in great shape and ready to compete? 

I wonder if Joshua would be that much better a C than Aman.

Maybe they can find (UFA, trade) a veteran C who's not too expensive, short term, until Raty is ready. 

It's not great that Raty is the only C I have on my Canucks Top 10 prospects list. Might be good for them to draft one of: Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore or Danielson, if possible.  

Pretty sure the Canucks will look to trade a winger for a lower producing third line center that can pk.

Colton Sissons would be a good target.

• Like 1