The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We may already have our 3C...

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Nothing about joshua saya he is an nhl centre.

Let aman keep developing into one  until Raty is ready  

Joshua played as centre for both his NHL seasons in St. Louis and has a career face-off percentage of 54.9% with 182 faceoffs taken. Not sure where you get the notion he isn't an NHL centre. Vancouver is the first place in his NHL career where he hasn't played as a centre.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 9:48 PM, JamesB said:

Lots of suggestions for current Canucks who could be tried at center: Beauvillier, Joshua, Boeser, Podkolzin, etc. But I am not optimistic. Joshua was given a few starts at center and just wasn't very good. There is a reason guys shift to the wing. After all, good centers are scarcer and it a guy can play the position effectively, he will get a shot.  

Centers have to work harder on the ice so you want centers to be high-energy and guys who can maintain top conditioning. Boeser is out. 

One guy I think is interesting is Max Sasson. He played well with Abby after being signed and moved up the depth chart quickly. He is good defensively, is a good skater, and is a high energy player. His offensive skills are pretty good, too, although he is unlikely to ever be a top 6 forward at the NHL level.  He was a late bloomer and is still only 22.  And he is a genuine center who has played the position a lot. 

Raty is only 20, so he has quite a lot of runway in front of him. 

But I think the Canucks will try to make an acquisition for the 3C spot. 

Pretty much agree here. If any of those 4 players mentioned above could be the 3rd line centre, it woulda' happened already and any discussions of needing a 3rd line centre would not be happening around our Canucks.

Your take on Sasson seems interesting to be sure. I do realize how he did as such in Abby from what I've read and clips of his play. Wether Sasson can make the grade on the big club for that position is yet to. be seen. At the end of it though, more likely we're gonna try to get someone via trade or??!?!?!???

There's so many questions yet to be answered regarding this club. Draft is in 3 weeks. We'll see what the state of the team needs are after that event.

Cheers.

• Cheers 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, -AJ- said:

Joshua played as centre for both his NHL seasons in St. Louis and has a career face-off percentage of 54.9% with 182 faceoffs taken. Not sure where you get the notion he isn't an NHL centre. Vancouver is the first place in his NHL career where he hasn't played as a centre.

Yes, and the new coaches have a ton of interest and confidence in him. If they ask him to train for center this year in the pre-season, he could give us another option to Dries or Åman.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1

Lol at the suggestions of career wingers like Boeser being asked to handle a 3C role.  He's not even a capable defensive winger forget the more difficult role of being a center.

Edit:  lol stupid auto spell correction on phone

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

Did we foorget about Linus Karlsson

However, Karlsson’s breakthrough season took place just last year after the Swedish centre registered 46 points in 52 games with Skellefteå AIK. Of those 46 points, 26 of them were goals, beating current Canuck star Elias Pettersson, who previously held the SHL record for goals in a season with 24 back in 2017-18.

Karlsson also finished second in team scoring and ninth in league scoring, earning him the SHL’s Rookie of the Year accolades just four years after Pettersson secured the award himself.

Based on his previous point totals, as well as his overall impressive Corsi percentage and shooting volume, it’s no surprise that Karlsson knows how to shoot the puck.

In a past interview with PostMedia, Karlsson shared that he’s “just trying to score goals every game”, a feat that should hopefully transfer to the smaller, North American ice surface.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Fred65 said:

However, Karlsson’s breakthrough season took place just last year after the Swedish centre registered 46 points in 52 games with Skellefteå AIK. Of those 46 points, 26 of them were goals, beating current Canuck star Elias Pettersson, who previously held the SHL record for goals in a season with 24 back in 2017-18.

Karlsson also finished second in team scoring and ninth in league scoring, earning him the SHL’s Rookie of the Year accolades just four years after Pettersson secured the award himself.

Based on his previous point totals, as well as his overall impressive Corsi percentage and shooting volume, it’s no surprise that Karlsson knows how to shoot the puck.

In a past interview with PostMedia, Karlsson shared that he’s “just trying to score goals every game”, a feat that should hopefully transfer to the smaller, North American ice surface.

We'll, I did forget about him, but for good reason.

I believe he's worth a look. Really depends on how he performs at camp, prospect games, pre-season games. If he's lights out, my guess is he'll get to play with the big club at the start of the regular season. However I'd be surprised if he steps in as our much needed 3rd line centre. 

I'm guessing he's still gonna be in Abby next season. Even if he shines before such, my guess is he'll earn call up duties when roster players get injured. Nuthin' wrong with that.

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol at the suggestions of career wingers like Boeser being asked to handle a 3C role.  He's not even a capable defensive winger forget the more difficult role of being a center.

Just further proves the delusion on this board around Boeser. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Just further proves the delusion on this board around Boeser. 

I think his development suffered under Green.  He does have a valuable NHL skill (his shot) but little else.  I'm hoping Tocchet can turn him into a better rounded player.  But giving him the center role is setting him up for failure.  Not many players can make that switch at this level of hockey.  Linden was one but he was a special player.

17 hours ago, Fred65 said:

100% ... needs a long look. He just might be the guy. Maybe not next season but he's been trending in the right direction to be that guy. 

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pretty hilarious with the Boeser suggestion. Totally agree. He is so lazy and floats all day long. He can't even be bothered to find his check when he's a winger. Big body though and he'd probably be capable of learning face-offs. Maybe Podkolzin as he seems to have the strength, and let's be serious, it doesn't look like he's going to develop into a top winger. Who knows, though, maybe he had the typical sophomore slump and comes back stronger than ever.

There’s a reason the organization sees this as the #1 target this offseason.  

Can’t see us starting the year with Dries, Aman or Joshua tarting at 3C by choice, even though I like them all as organizational depth. 

You’d have to hope there’s a hockey trade out there for Sissons or Dvorak.. or we clear a bit of cap to sign Pius Suter or David Kampf like the athletic boys suggested. 

I remember reading that one day Raty might be a pretty good 3C but he’s got a lot to cooking to do first. 

23 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

100% ... needs a long look. He just might be the guy. Maybe not next season but he's been trending in the right direction to be that guy. 

Keep in mind after this next season he's an RFA

• Cheers 1

Joshua is great at faceoffs but his game is more tailored to the wing. Beauviller is terrible at faceoffs but I can see his defensive awareness and speed being great qualities for the centre. I think a combination of both on the third line with Joshua taking faceoffs for Beauviller. Not unlike when we used to do that with Miller and Petey.