The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We may already have our 3C...

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Wonder how Brandon Sutter is doing these days?

He'd have to be cheap, after all that time away.

Was never the fastest guy, he's going to be 3 steps behind the play. Canucks have to learn to train guys in the system to fill the small holes or they'll never be competitive. We have our stars, time to fill it with ELCs 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap! Come on fans. If Looch is on our club he plays with Petey 5 on 5. No reason to have him otherwise. He’s not a grunt. He’s a bodyguard. Big difference. 
Now kneel to Alf. :frantic:

Stop it Alf. Looch is done. Whatever you imagine he brings to the game it is vastly surpassed by his skating ability or lack thereof. His value is grossly over-rated.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, YEGCanuck said:

Stop it Alf. Looch is done. Whatever you imagine he brings to the game it is vastly surpassed by his skating ability or lack thereof. His value is grossly over-rated.

Watch him though. To Alf Looch is a blur! Of course so is everyone and everything. But. Okay. I get it. :lol:

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

Exactly my take.

We need to start using the guys we already have and develop them into actual core pieces. I don’t want us to go after a 3C and sign them to term and money. I’d try Joshua as a center considering he was natural center. He has offensive upside and has a ton of strength and he has also has noticeable athleticism for a big body like his. 

Joshua was a tremendous find by Allvin, I hope he evolves to becoming a staple third liner for us for the next 5-8 years. 

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Why aren't we looking at Dakota Joshua? Seems like the obvious fit to me. Only caveat is that 23 points is a little low for a 3rd liner, but his face-off percentage is fairly strong despite being used mostly as a winger in Vancouver. If he can up his game to 30 points, he'd be an easy fit.

I’ve suggested this in the DJ thread. He’s a late bloomer who has been tried up the lineup after showing some offence. Why not try him at C?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I’ve suggested this in the DJ thread. He’s a late bloomer who has been tried up the lineup after showing some offence. Why not try him at C?

And not only that, but he has extensive experience playing C, so it's not like he would be trying a new role.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

according to eliteprospect.com :

"A dynamic scoring center with good hockey sense. Not very large in stature, but makes up for it in speed, skill, and cunning. A talented puck-handler with good hands: is equally efficient a passer as he is a goal scorer. All-in-all, an offensively minded center that can outplay the opposition in a number of different ways. Needs to work on discipline and getting stronger. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

since he started his nhl carreer he moved on the wings. But he spent his junior days at C. I read somewhere that this is the position he loves.

I would give him a serious try, centering the 3rd line.

and yeah, i'm talking about Anthony Beauvillier. 

Heck, I saw a clip of Brock beating Petey in the Dot in Practice and posted, try Brock at center.

AB has the positional knowledge.

can he win faces offs and gain possession of the puck?

After that, the ability for shifting players in the field of play is so easy in hockey, only in set pieces like a ‘scrum’ or ‘faceoff’ does position really matter.

so this old rugby hooker/prop wants to know, do w3 have anyone capable of beating Petey and or JT in the dot?

Thats our next third line Center.

Play Podz and Hogs wit( that player, and the line will be cost effective and reliable in forechecking and attacking the puck carrier from either wing with speed, so our third Center would be able to take the Slot and not the Boards as a trailer. 

From the front of the net to the front of the other net.

Leaving the last few feet of ice for the wingers, giving us a 190 foot to 180 foot player vs 200 foot player. 

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Heck, I saw a clip of Brock beating Petey in the Dot in Practice and posted, try Brock at center.

AB has the positional knowledge.

can he win faces offs and gain possession of the puck?

After that, the ability for shifting players in the field of play is so easy in hockey, only in set pieces like a ‘scrum’ or ‘faceoff’ does position really matter.

so this old rugby hooker/prop wants to know, do w3 have anyone capable of beating Petey and or JT in the dot?

Thats our next third line Center.

Play Podz and Hogs wit( that player, and the line will be cost effective and reliable in forechecking and attacking the puck carrier from either wing with speed, so our third Center would be able to take the Slot and not the Boards as a trailer. 

From the front of the net to the front of the other net.

Leaving the last few feet of ice for the wingers, giving us a 190 foot to 180 foot player vs 200 foot player. 

Yes :bigblush:

20 hours ago, Odd. said:

Exactly my take.

We need to start using the guys we already have and develop them into actual core pieces. I don’t want us to go after a 3C and sign them to term and money. I’d try Joshua as a center considering he was natural center. He has offensive upside and has a ton of strength and he has also has noticeable athleticism for a big body like his. 

Joshua was a tremendous find by Allvin, I hope he evolves to becoming a staple third liner for us for the next 5-8 years. 

Podz is another player that do ld likely slot into the center role quite well

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Still holding out hope that he can get back into the league/onto the ice, though he knows he's at best in PTO territory now.  Working on improving his health, but not sure (medically) how to get there.  There's more in an article on Sportsnet from a few months ago.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/after-long-covid-derailed-career-brandon-sutter-finally-has-hope-he-could-play-again/

I always thought Brandon was a good dude. I'd love to see him back for a year if he can get healthy. Good face-off %, fast, kills penalties, good shot, has size. Perfect 3rd line center.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Why aren't we looking at Dakota Joshua? Seems like the obvious fit to me. Only caveat is that 23 points is a little low for a 3rd liner, but his face-off percentage is fairly strong despite being used mostly as a winger in Vancouver. If he can up his game to 30 points, he'd be an easy fit.

Definitely worth looking at. IIRC, Joshua mostly played as a centre in St. Louis, so he already has NHL experience at the position. And his NHL career faceoff winning percentage is 55% (100/182).

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely worth looking at. IIRC, Joshua mostly played as a centre in St. Louis, so he already has NHL experience at the position. And his NHL career faceoff winning percentage is 55% (100/182).

Don't you think it's strange that these sort of skills seem to be bi-passed by "pro" coaches. This regimetation of who takes the draw is always strange to me. It should always, always be the guy who has the best chnace of winning the F/O rather than "well he's the centre" so waht a micro second after the F/O every ones back to their original spot Often draws and won by the wingers jumping in. I just don't understand. I have seen the odd coach use the F/O man as the guy who is on his strong ( backhand side ) but they're few and far between. Miller is one of a few players who's go to F/O is his fore hand

On 6/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gurn said:

Wonder how Brandon Sutter is doing these days?

He'd have to be cheap, after all that time away.

Interesting comment. While I did not like the original trade and hated the contract Benning re-signed him to, if he could come back to what he was before Covid and had a cap hit of a million or so that would be good. But he is now 35. For a guy with his career trajectory, even apart from Covid, he would likely be only a marginal NHL'er by now. And after being out for a few years at this age it is tough to come back. 

• Cheers 1

Lots of suggestions for current Canucks who could be tried at center: Beauvillier, Joshua, Boeser, Podkolzin, etc. But I am not optimistic. Joshua was given a few starts at center and just wasn't very good. There is a reason guys shift to the wing. After all, good centers are scarcer and it a guy can play the position effectively, he will get a shot.  

Centers have to work harder on the ice so you want centers to be high-energy and guys who can maintain top conditioning. Boeser is out. 

One guy I think is interesting is Max Sasson. He played well with Abby after being signed and moved up the depth chart quickly. He is good defensively, is a good skater, and is a high energy player. His offensive skills are pretty good, too, although he is unlikely to ever be a top 6 forward at the NHL level.  He was a late bloomer and is still only 22.  And he is a genuine center who has played the position a lot. 

Raty is only 20, so he has quite a lot of runway in front of him. 

But I think the Canucks will try to make an acquisition for the 3C spot. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 3

On 6/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, -AJ- said:

Nothing about joshua saya he is an nhl centre.

Let aman keep developing into one  until Raty is ready  

Edited by EddieVedder
  • There it is 1