The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Freidman Suggests Jets Not Rebuilding, Want Players For Players

Freidman reported that star players Hellebyuck, Schedule and Dubois are all rumoured to be hard sells for new contracts and while the Jets are not rebuilding, he will not move them for anything less than return players.

Dubois is all be guaranteed to go to Montreal but interesting Scheifle is now a name on the block as well.

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

Scheifele for Miller one-for-one? Similar caliber players which would give Winnipeg a replacement and get us out of Miller's long contract. Canucks then sell Scheifele at the deadline for a king's ransom (if he won't re-sign for a shorter term).

Not sure I would actually do this, but would be an interesting shake-up for both teams. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Scheifele for Miller one-for-one? Similar caliber players which would give Winnipeg a replacement and get us out of Miller's long contract. Canucks then sell Scheifele at the deadline for a king's ransom (if he won't re-sign for a shorter term).

Not sure I would actually do this, but would be an interesting shake-up for both teams. 

Sadly for the Jets this is exactly what they have to do because it ensures that the player they get can't and won't bounce on them

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

This was part of why I was proposing something around Miller and Dubois a while back, Miller gives them a guaranteed top six center and as of right now they currently have zero going forward if they can't retain Scheifele or Dubois. With term, no less. Scheifele has a 10 team NTC but he may be willing to come here, I wouldn't want to retain him but I'd be willing to trade him elsewhere. 

I'd still consider something around Miller and Dubois, imagine having Dubois and Pettersson as a 1-2 punch, we'd be set down the middle regarding top six centers for most of a decade. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I know people are going to want Dubois, but lets not forget he said he wanted to test free agency after his contract expires. Dollars to donuts are he'd rather be in Montreal than Vancouver. I'd rather just wait til free agency and give him a couple calls and see what he's after.

Scheifele is a name I'd be interested in if anything. I feel he's more likely to re-sign without testing free agency. But we gotta beware of a Horvat situation. If we give up a haul for him, his agent is gonna smell blood in the water. If people thought we left value on the table in the Horvat trade, imagine trading say Miller for 1 season of Scheifele. Or if we traded for him and were forced to pay him way more than we are paying Miller if we traded Miller for Scheifele. The idea we can just trade for Scheifele and flip him for assets is dumb too. Our management has already said they're not rebuilding. So they're not gonna trade Miller who has term for a guy with no term just to flip him for a 1st rounder and a B prospect. Which is what you're gonna get for a rental Scheifele. This isn't EA, that scenario is not happening.

Honestly, targeting their expiring deals isn't worth the squeeze if you ask me. I'd rather reach out in the offseason and see what kind of market there is. And even then, Scheifele is 30 years old, will be 31 next summer. He doesn't fit our timeline. I am curious what they might get for them in a trade though. I think it's a mistake not to embrace a rebuild. But I guess they don't want to waste Ehlers, Morrissey and Connor's primes. I can see why they want to do a retool. It's just hard to get players to want to commit to Winnipeg. That's why drafting them is their best chance.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

They absolutely need to recoup assets if they are going to lose those players. I feel that the Jets fan base would be able to stomach a rebuild.

Canadian teams that need to re-tool: Calgary and Toronto.

Canadian teams that need to rebuild: Winnipeg by a mile.  That team has imploded too many times already.

No discussion about Vancouver for now...

I think Winnipeg is a good partner as they tend to like players on contract and we have lots of those. 
I would seriously consider either Schiefele PLD for Miller deal however that may look. Especially PLD. He is young plays a hard style and him and EP 1-2 punch is solid any situation pair, a season of that pairing and see if he wants to stay.  Schiefele is just a really good true C, age obviously about same as Miller but more LT flexibility. 
Gotta wonder if Winnipeg is not a bad spot for Brock or Garland also. 
I am definitely open to fulsome discussions with Winnipeg about shaking up both our lineups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I know people are going to want Dubois, but lets not forget he said he wanted to test free agency after his contract expires. Dollars to donuts are he'd rather be in Montreal than Vancouver. I'd rather just wait til free agency and give him a couple calls and see what he's after.

Scheifele is a name I'd be interested in if anything. I feel he's more likely to re-sign without testing free agency. But we gotta beware of a Horvat situation. If we give up a haul for him, his agent is gonna smell blood in the water. If people thought we left value on the table in the Horvat trade, imagine trading say Miller for 1 season of Scheifele. Or if we traded for him and were forced to pay him way more than we are paying Miller if we traded Miller for Scheifele. The idea we can just trade for Scheifele and flip him for assets is dumb too. Our management has already said they're not rebuilding. So they're not gonna trade Miller who has term for a guy with no term just to flip him for a 1st rounder and a B prospect. Which is what you're gonna get for a rental Scheifele. This isn't EA, that scenario is not happening.

Honestly, targeting their expiring deals isn't worth the squeeze if you ask me. I'd rather reach out in the offseason and see what kind of market there is. And even then, Scheifele is 30 years old, will be 31 next summer. He doesn't fit our timeline. I am curious what they might get for them in a trade though. I think it's a mistake not to embrace a rebuild. But I guess they don't want to waste Ehlers, Morrissey and Connor's primes. I can see why they want to do a retool. It's just hard to get players to want to commit to Winnipeg. That's why drafting them is their best chance.

Things change, Dubois could change his mind. At the very least it'd be worth exploring, it's not as if we'd trade for him if he wasn't prepared to sign an extension. If he walks to UFA you're also competing with everyone else to potentially sign him. Maybe Montreal would be best case scenario for him, but they have to want to either trade for in order to pay him or to pay him what he wants via UFA. But even if Montreal were top of his list that doesn't necessarily mean he may not be open to other options. In the meantime Winnipeg isn't going to let him walk for nothing if they can't retain him, they will trade him and I question what Montreal would be willing to give up if Winnipeg is indeed looking for players as opposed to futures. 

Montreal has Suzuki up front, him and Dubois could be a great combo, but a lot of things would have to go right. 

• Upvote 1

I would take Scheifele, depending on the asking price. Boeser, Hoglander/Podkolzin and the Leafs 3rd maybe? I don’t know what his value is. 

He’s 30, so I would prefer a shorter term re-signing, rather than those 7 or 8 year deals. 4 years max..maybe 5, if the price is right. 

34 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So you're telling me JT Miller to Winnipeg?

For PLD? Absolutely. The Jets get a guy locked into a long term deal. We have until the TDL to negotiate a new deal with PLD. If it’s a no go then we trade him as a rental at the TDL. To a contending team, with retention or taking back a contract, he’s worth a lot. Likely a couple firsts or a first and a top prospect. Look at what Bo got! 

3 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I would take Scheifele, depending on the asking price. Boeser, Hoglander/Podkolzin and the Leafs 3rd maybe? I don’t know what his value is. 

He’s 30, so I would prefer a shorter term re-signing, rather than those 7 or 8 year deals. 4 years max..maybe 5, if the price is right. 

Why would we trade young guys for a 30 year old Schiefele? That’s what Benning would have done. 

Edited by Alflives

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For PLD? Absolutely. The Jets get a guy locked into a long term deal. We have until the TDL to negotiate a new deal with PLD. If it’s a no go then we trade him as a rental at the TDL. To a contending team, with retention or taking back a contract, he’s worth a lot. Likely a couple firsts or a first and a top prospect. Look at what Bo got! 

It is a rare occurrence where Alf and I agree.:metal:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would we trade young guys for a 30 year old Schiefele? That’s what Benning would have done. 

So, instead you want to trade someone signed long term for a guy who will for sure bolt when he becomes a free agent?

At least with Scheifele, it will make the Canucks a better team for 4-5 years. 

A Benning move would be to sign him to an 8 year contract extension and he’d throw in a first or second round pick to get him in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

So, instead you want to trade someone signed long term for a guy who will for sure bolt when he becomes a free agent?

At least with Scheifele, it will make the Canucks a better team for 4-5 years. 

A Benning move would be to sign him to an 8 year contract extension and he’d throw in a first or second round pick to get him in the first place. 

PLD for sure could sign with us. And if he hasn’t by the TDL we can trade him for a great return. Likely at least what we got for Bo. Okay that was a steal but probably close to that. 

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This was part of why I was proposing something around Miller and Dubois a while back, Miller gives them a guaranteed top six center and as of right now they currently have zero going forward if they can't retain Scheifele or Dubois. With term, no less. Scheifele has a 10 team NTC but he may be willing to come here, I wouldn't want to retain him but I'd be willing to trade him elsewhere. 

I'd still consider something around Miller and Dubois, imagine having Dubois and Pettersson as a 1-2 punch, we'd be set down the middle regarding top six centers for most of a decade. 

Dubois #1 C--25 yrs old - 6'3--220-- GP73-- G 27 - PTS 63

Dubois is 5 yrs younger then Miller. I don't think Jets want Miller back..

Montreal is place Dubois will want to play and Montreal have assets Jet will want in trade.

Dubois will want 8 yrs X 8.5 and will only sign long term with certain teams #1 Montreal..

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Dubois #1 C--25 yrs old - 6'3--220-- GP73-- G 27 - PTS 63

Dubois is 5 yrs younger then Miller. I don't think Jets want Miller back..

Montreal is place Dubois will want to play and Montreal have assets Jet will want in trade.

Dubois will want 8 yrs X 8.5 and will only sign long term with certain teams #1 Montreal..

I’m wondering if PLD’s agent has floated this whole Habs thing to get his client more money from the club he eventually signs with. IMHAO PLD signs a very large contract but it’s not with the Habs. 
The Jets would fit certain want Miller. He’s a great player and signed long term. They don’t have to worry about him leaving. This is a club that could never sign a UFA like Miller, and especially to such a great cap hit. 
Miller for PLD makes perfect sense from the Jets pov. Not too sure we’d do it though.