The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Freidman Suggests Jets Not Rebuilding, Want Players For Players

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Dubois #1 C--25 yrs old - 6'3--220-- GP73-- G 27 - PTS 63

Dubois is 5 yrs younger then Miller. I don't think Jets want Miller back..

Montreal is place Dubois will want to play and Montreal have assets Jet will want in trade.

Dubois will want 8 yrs X 8.5 and will only sign long term with certain teams #1 Montreal..

If the Jets want NHL players as opposed to prospects and picks who is Montreal giving up? The benefit of Miller is he has term locked in, for a franchise like Winnipeg that sometimes struggles to retain talent this could be a boon, particularly if they wish to be competitive. If Dubois and Scheifele go sooner than later they're out two top six centers.

Winnipeg likely doesn't want to trade Dubois either and yet here we are. I think it's worth exploring, Montreal may not be the only place he's willing to extend.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If the Jets want NHL players as opposed to prospects and picks who is Montreal giving up? The benefit of Miller is he has term locked in, for a franchise like Winnipeg that sometimes struggles to retain talent this could be a boon, particularly if they wish to be competitive. If Dubois and Scheifele go sooner than later they're out two top six centers.

Winnipeg likely doesn't want to trade Dubois either and yet here we are. I think it's worth exploring, Montreal may not be the only place he's willing to extend.

Dubois has said he’s willing to play elsewhere. Whether or not Vancouver is on that list is anyone’s guess 

• Cheers 1

Any Jets fans here care to speculate what roster needs they'd want to resolve and who would be available?
I'd love it if we could go for Lowry or Heinola (if there's confidence that he's more than Rathbone/ Wolanin at this point).

If the Jets are not rebuilding and want players for players, then there probably isn’t a fit with Montreal for PLD.  Josh Anderson, Christian Dvorak, Brendan Gallagher and Michael Matheson are the only players with term that would fit what Winnipeg wants.  All those guys have NTC’s so they can all veto a trade.  Montreal can only give Winnipeg picks or prospects, so if they don’t want that, then PLD should be available to other teams.

To Vancouver:

PLD

Brenden Dillon

To Winnipeg:

JT Miller

Conor Garland

We sign PLD to an 8x8 contract to replace Miller.  We also get a local boy who can play LHD and kill penalties in Dillon.  We get bigger and tougher.  Tocchet would like these new acquisitions.  Winnipeg gets two experienced players who are on longer term contracts and won’t leave for awhile, so they don’t have to rebuild.  

We gain about $1 million in cap space to sign a 4th line penalty killer.  We still need a 3C.  Maybe we can trade Beauvillier straight up for a 3C with a similar contract.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Don’t assume anything. Don’t!

It’s a damn safe bet.  Would you think Vancouver would accept a similar offer for Hughes?  Morrissey is older but he’s a couple inches taller, signed for 1 more year than Hughes, put up the same number points in the same number of games (but with more goals), and most importantly, he has a full NMC. So yeah. I’ll assume Winnipeg rejects that extremely underwhelming offer 

PLD is a no deal without a new contract, a given. If the contract is signed then a deal would be solid for Vancouver. That said a willingness to sign in Vancouver strengthens the Jets hand in getting more for him. I don't see PLD willing to sign in Van. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

PLD is a no deal without a new contract, a given. If the contract is signed then a deal would be solid for Vancouver. That said a willingness to sign in Vancouver strengthens the Jets hand in getting more for him. I don't see PLD willing to sign in Van. 

If we can get PLD for Miller then we do that. The Jets would be ecstatic with that deal because they are getting a 1C, ppg guy signed long term at a great number. They would have to way overpay to even get a sniff from a UFA in Miller’s level. 
PLD will likely sign with us. It’s about the money. 8.5 x 8 and he’s way better than old Bo. Not as good as Miller, of course. But he’s younger and that costs. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

So, instead you want to trade someone signed long term for a guy who will for sure bolt when he becomes a free agent?

At least with Scheifele, it will make the Canucks a better team for 4-5 years. 

A Benning move would be to sign him to an 8 year contract extension and he’d throw in a first or second round pick to get him in the first place. 

I'd do miller for pld as they could try to resign him and if they can't, they move him at the tdl for a good haul.  It actually makes a lot of sense

• elephant 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Why don’t you think he would sign here?  Seems like Vancouver would be the perfect fit for him to come and be our 2C and he fits right into our young core as well. What other team has the assets to trade for him?  Winnipeg doesn’t want picks or prospects. So what other team could give them a 1C/2C locked up for 7 more years?  

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why don’t you think he would sign here?  Seems like Vancouver would be the perfect fit for him to come and be our 2C and he fits right into our young core as well. What other team has the assets to trade for him?  Winnipeg doesn’t want picks or prospects. So what other team could give them a 1C/2C locked up for 7 more years?  

Not only that, but if he's open to the spotlight that exists in Montreal it's not as if he'd be getting anything different here, it'd just be on a lesser scale 

Vancouver is a nice place to live as a millionaire, he could do worse, it sure ain't Winnipeg 

• Cheers 1

I hear that Nate Schmidt guy is a player… maybe we can trade for him!  :D

I would totally do a Miller for PLD+ deal.

Best case, we swap Miller for a young version with more upside rather than downside risk.  That would represent a huge win.  There is a decent chance he would get connected to the team and want to stay.

Worst case, we have a bandaid for a year and a bunch of cap space next year to find another replacement.  

We could even trade him at the deadline if he didn’t want to extend and get a decent haul of picks/prospects for him.

Not wanting to sign long term in Winnipeg isn’t the same as not wanting to sign anywhere.  Have you been to Winnipeg?

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • elephant 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Miller > PLD

React Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Maybe today… almost certainly not in 2+ years, and most definitely not by the end of Miller’s contract.

We aren’t a contender, getting a guy coming into his prime has more value than having a guy at the end of his prime.

If we could swap Miller for PLD, and get rid of Pearson/Garland and get Lafreniere… that is a solid looking forward group.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Maybe today… almost certainly not in 2+ years, and most definitely not by the end of Miller’s contract.

We aren’t a contender, getting a guy coming into his prime has more value than having a guy at the end of his prime.

If we could swap Miller for PLD, and get rid of Pearson/Garland and get Lafreniere… that is a solid looking forward group.

Yeah that would be a strong forward group for sure. 

I’m not as high on the sell Miller train as lots of CDCers are, as I think Tocchet was coaching him in a positive direction. But if we could get Dubois for him I’d be pretty keen.

I think PLD brings lots of the effort and battle we’d lose trading Miller. And PLD seems a bit more controlled and constructive with his intensity than Millsy

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Van has Miller to trade for him. I don't think PLD signs with Van because the Canucks are years away from serious CUP contention. That being the case he could easily sign with a contender by waiting the Jets out and signing as a UFA. 

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yes Van has Miller to trade for him. I don't think PLD signs with Van because the Canucks are years away from serious CUP contention. That being the case he could easily sign with a contender by waiting the Jets out and signing as a UFA. 

Which contender has $8.5 million in cap space to sign PLD?