The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Dahlin Close to Signing Extension in Buffalo

On 6/8/2023 at 11:41 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes has already had 9 Norris trophy votes in his career, Dahlin has had zero.  They are both getting lots of votes this year.  Hughes defence has improved greatly from last year when he received 9 votes.  He had more points than Dahlin this year, better +/-, played more minutes on the PK.  Hughes is 49th in on ice expected GAA, Dahlin is 115th.  Hughes is 113 in on ice high danger shot attempts, Dahlin is at 98.  

They are closer than you think...

Totally, With the right partner eventually Hughes defensive stats will go up even more too. He's already drastically better than his second year. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/9/2023 at 2:32 AM, R3aL said:

He’s such a special player, we are blessed to have him and I can’t wait to see what heights he can reach. 

Sneaking In Arizona Cardinals GIF by Bleacher Report

QHs, Hronek, Bleugar and Suter training camp official measuring time!

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, Warhippy said:

For reference.  Here is how the Sabres current cap stands and how their front end looks prior to expending Dahlin and Powers.  Will be interesting watching them juggle this moving forward with Cozens and Skinner.  Without mentioning the increase in pay Tuch, Mitlestadt and Jokiharju will be getting whgile still needing a goalie.  Still have a solid amount of prospects and some quality picks over the next 2 seasons but that's getting to be a bit of a top heavy team.  They're just lucky enough to have gotten two 1st overall picks that were and are 1st pairing defensemen.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Could contain: Text

Could contain: Page, Text

they'll be fine.. if power is getting the 3x6 dahlin bridge by the time he need extension skinner will be gone. as for goalie they already have their goalie of the future in levi and they got the hardest part of the puzzle solved.. a norris caliber Dmen in dahlin and likely another norris caliber Dmen in powers. now they just need to work on the 2nd to 4th line

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm jealous tbh, he's a legit #1 franchise D and any maxed out deal will take him to about 32

And then they have Power

I'm sad we don't have those two guys.  And BTW that supposed to be funny, a reaction to your comment about "Be interesting to see what QH's gets down the road".   I'm expecting NJ will deal with that.   Or it will be some huge huge trucks of money.   But he will have earned it.  Shocking! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

This seems like a good example of a bridge deal done right and why they are still valuable. His bridge at 6M paid him well for his first couple seasons but gave incentive to keep improving. Now Dahlin's established himself as a true #1 and he will get a contract that takes him through all of his prime years. If the 10.5M is accurate, he's already worth that now and it has potential to be a bargain through his prime years as the cap starts to rise. Then if he starts to decline slightly early at 30 or 31 the cap will already be high enough to not hinder the team and his deal will be almost done.

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm sad we don't have those two guys.  And BTW that supposed to be funny, a reaction to your comment about "Be interesting to see what QH's gets down the road".   I'm expecting NJ will deal with that.   Or it will be some huge huge trucks of money.   But he will have earned it.  Shocking! 

I legit think that Quinn could end up in Jersey, it's rare for brothers to have a chance to play with each other at the highest level and I could see Quinn going for it if Jersey still looks to be competitive when his deal is up. Regardless of where the Canucks are at in their competitive cycle. A trio of brothers on one NHL team, that's a powerful draw and likely a once in a lifetime NHL opportunity. 

Big fan of Hughes, he's a stud, but despite being a Canucks fan I don't think I'd be too sour if he went for it. It'd be disappointing, absolutely, but family is family at the end of the day and I get that. 

He's gonna get paid through regardless of where he ends up, no question. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I legit think that Quinn could end up in Jersey, it's rare for brothers to have a chance to play with each other at the highest level and I could see Quinn going for it if Jersey still looks to be competitive when his deal is up. Regardless of where the Canucks are at in their competitive cycle. A trio of brothers on one NHL team, that's a powerful draw and likely a once in a lifetime NHL opportunity. 

Big fan of Hughes, he's a stud, but despite being a Canucks fan I don't think I'd be too sour if he went for it. It'd be disappointing, absolutely, but family is family at the end of the day and I get that. 

I have zero sentimentality about brothers playing in the NHL together.    If it makes sense for the team then sure.  If it doesn't then it's not the right call.   And for the record, both my brothers have been my besties at different times in my life.    Pretty sure they'd say the same thing.   So would the Hunter's.    I know which brother to avoid in the corner, and which one to hold onto or trip.   I do get it from a "spin".   Not sure it would actually work though.   Won't hold it against QHs if he leaves no matter where he goes.   He's earning his own path right now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal? Funny how Eric played with both at some point during his career but too bad never all on the same team.

I can't see Quinn and Luke playing together since their games are too similar, and both would command top ice time.

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Good thing he's locked up for 4 more years, if he's gonna walk we can probably get a good haul. But what if Luke is traded, or gets an offersheet? If I'm the Canucks, thats what I'd look to do.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 11:24 AM, 250Integra said:

Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal? Funny how Eric played with both at some point during his career but too bad never all on the same team.

I can't see Quinn and Luke playing together since their games are too similar, and both would command top ice time.

Jared Staal did played on the Canes too along with Eric and Jordan. But it was a short career. 

• Like 1