The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) CBJ signs Severson

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I had mentioned in a previous thread that due to auch a limited supply of options, he was going to get overpaid by a lot.  With Gavrikov off the board even more so.

This is a contract that isn’t going to look good by the end.  He will be 29 before it starts

That cap hit would be ok for a 5 year deal… but 8 years should come with a pretty hefty discount on the AAV.

You gotta wonder how overpaid Mayfield is gonna be at this point.  $5.75M x 7 or something??  With the weak UFA group, it raises the value of trade targets around the league I think.

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

6.25 million and fans still think that Myers can't be moved at 6 million for 1 year.

Or even potentially $3M AAV with a 50% retention by a 3rd party team.  Easy move IMO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Lotta money for a 3/4. Is that the going rate now?

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

UFA aged 2nd pair D... That's been the price for a while.

I think they will be running a 1A and 1B pairings:

Werenski-Peeke

Provorov-Severson

That's pretty darn solid.  TONS of depth too.

Funny thing is they actually have a lot of RHD depth, but not as much LHD.  We should pry Ceulemans out of there for one of our LHD guys.

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I think all the moves they are making now is banking on the 3rd OA to be a stud. And then they'll make a push with Gaudreau, Jenner, Laine, the 3rd OA, Johnson, Sillinger, Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Boqvist. And Coach Babcock. It is not a bad bet. They are sick of being bad lol. 

If we had their roster, and the 3rd overall coming in this year, wouldn't we be excited about that?!   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think they will be running a 1A and 1B pairings:

Werenski-Peeke

Provorov-Severson

That's pretty darn solid.  TONS of depth too.

Funny thing is they actually have a lot of RHD depth, but not as much LHD.  We should pry Ceulemans out of there for one of our LHD guys.

Boqvist/Jiricek 

for bottom pairing? I would think jiricek is ready 

If I was a CBJ fan I would have preferred 

werenski-peeke

provorov-boqvist

Graves-Jiricek

but maybe they couldn’t swing the trade and interest wasn’t mutual 

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Boqvist/Jiricek 

for bottom pairing? I would think jiricek is ready 

If I was a CBJ fan I would have preferred 

werenski-peeke

provorov-boqvist

Graves-Jiricek

but maybe they couldn’t swing the trade and interest wasn’t mutual 

If Jiricek is ready, then Peeke or Guddy need to go.  I doubt they'd find a taker for Guddy, so Peeke is likely the one being moved out.

Roslovic is a pending UFA.  Sillinger took a big step backwards last year, but still lots of potential.  Johnson is definitely the more promising prospect.

Sillinger

Roslovic

Peeke

for

Miller

PeteyD (CLB is a bit light on LHD depth)

So at the cost of 22nd OA, a 2nd and a 3rd they got two top 4 D men.

This is the reason people objected to buying Hronek at the most expensive time exacerbating our cap issues.

Had nothing to do with Hronek as a player or the fact that he plugs a hole.

In the flat cap era there are sweet deals to be made with some cap flexibility.

With cap flexibility and assets we could have filled multiple holes and maybe got rid of some of our problem players.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

6.25 million and fans still think that Myers can't be moved at 6 million for 1 year.

Hey i'm one of those guys.   The issue isn't the price, it's about when it can be done.  Well after the free agency season.   Myers is more of a TDL deal.   The available cap, league wide, will be maxed out fairly quickly.  3/4 of the league is going to be trying to deal with their stuff this summer, and the cost to dump cap is an issue, but even more so is how many teams will be willing to play ball.   It's so easy for Myers to go down the list and axe a trade.   Don't forget that part.   His 10 team no trade list ... when there are only a few teams with cap space, even at 50%.     Don't even want to get into what it might cost us.  

By September, free agency will be over.

No it's not impossible.    Who knows what his no trade list will be, and maybe if he's been told he's not wanted anymore, he will put teams on his list that actually can make it work.   Just not at all holding my breathe, and for sure hope the new management isn't stupid about it either.   Cost to do Marleau, in an increasing cap environment, when he could still actually play a decent role, was a first.   Would you pay our 2024 first to dump Myers?    I sure wouldn't.   And the third party stuff, is usually reserved for the TDL.    Given cap isn't going up much and some teams that are actually in a position to go for it, I have serious doubts we won't see Myers on the opening roster.   And surely hope we don't do something stupid as well.  

If it's part of something else, then great.  If it's just about saving some cap space and the cost is the little bit we've accrued from Schenn and other things - a big F that. 

Edited by IBatch

Werenski, Provorov and Bean on the left. Peeke and Severson on the right. That leaves Jiricek, Boqvist, Gudbranson, and Ceulemens. All fighting for that one remaining RHD spot. 25 year old RHD Bjork as well that sniffed some games last season. That's a lot of mouths to feed. We'll take Ceulemens off your hands. Garland+ to help bolster that RW spot that looks kinda weak.

• Cheers 1