The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) CBJ signs Severson

I had mentioned in a previous thread that due to auch a limited supply of options, he was going to get overpaid by a lot.  With Gavrikov off the board even more so.

This is a contract that isn’t going to look good by the end.  He will be 29 before it starts

That cap hit would be ok for a 5 year deal… but 8 years should come with a pretty hefty discount on the AAV.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I had mentioned in a previous thread that due to auch a limited supply of options, he was going to get overpaid by a lot.  With Gavrikov off the board even more so.

This is a contract that isn’t going to look good by the end.  He will be 29 before it starts

That cap hit would be ok for a 5 year deal… but 8 years should come with a pretty hefty discount on the AAV.

Sure he will be a buyout candidate near the end.   And by then cap will be well over 100 million.    

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I wonder if they will go for the often proposed deal centered around JT + Silovs/Demko for 3rd OA. Not sure if the cap would work or not. If I'm CBJ I probably wouldnt do it but they would be competitive. It's worth PA making the call imo.

I think all the moves they are making now is banking on the 3rd OA to be a stud. And then they'll make a push with Gaudreau, Jenner, Laine, the 3rd OA, Johnson, Sillinger, Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Boqvist. And Coach Babcock. It is not a bad bet. They are sick of being bad lol. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

I think all the moves they are making now is banking on the 3rd OA to be a stud. And then they'll make a push with Gaudreau, Jenner, Laine, the 3rd OA, Johnson, Sillinger, Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Boqvist. And Coach Babcock. It is not a bad bet. They are sick of being bad lol. 

Unless they trade the 3rd OA to the Canucks for Raymond, Ballard, and a 3rd :bigblush:

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure he will be a buyout candidate near the end.   And by then cap will be well over 100 million.    

I am assuming that if he is going to agree to forego free agency, his agent is going to structure that deal so he gets paid the full amount and be buyout proof.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Having four top 12 picks in the last two drafts helps. 

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

So the guy they get at 3OA (likely Carlsson) will be their number one centre  and taking those super important minutes? Carlsson is going to be really good. But he’s most likely 3-5 years away from making the needed impact to help them win as a 1C. They have a group of older players who play key roles. They brought in Babcock. They need a number one centre who can help them now and for the next 3-5 years. 
Miller + 11OA for 3OA +  is something they would very much desire. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1