The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) CBJ signs Severson

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

CBJ needs a C baaaaaaad, you know who would have been a great fit there - Bo Horvat lol 

If they were serious about getting better now, they would make a major play for Miller

3rd overall will be their #1C and Jenner will be C2. Roslovic falling down to 3rd C. Kuraly is a pretty good bottom 6 C. 

Sillinger 12th overall in 2021 is a C that has solid two-way potential. 

C really isn’t too bad of an issue.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

So they paid...

A 1st and a 2nd for Provorov.

A 3rd for a UFA that they could have signed for free in July.

How is that so much better than a 1st and a 2nd for Hronek (who's a RHD which is much, much more valuable than a LHD)?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b15bc38f4c1d8bbad

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Tbh I’d do that. Getting Hughes his partner for the next 10-15 years would be worth it on that aspect alone. 

I'd definitely think very long and hard about it, but I don't know if I can stomach the idea of trading more first round picks...

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

CBJ needs a C baaaaaaad, you know who would have been a great fit there - Bo Horvat lol 

If they were serious about getting better now, they would make a major play for Miller

Would he really though? Bo Horvat was definitely not playing like a top 6 forward since the trade.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

3rd overall will be their #1C and Jenner will be C2. Roslovic falling down to 3rd C. Kuraly is a pretty good bottom 6 C. 

Sillinger 12th overall in 2021 is a C that has solid two-way potential. 

C really isn’t too bad of an issue.

This. That 3rd overall is reserved for a center in the draft, whether it's Carlsson or Smith. But Kek seems to play by nobody else's rules but his own, so maybe, just maybe he'll make a play for the hometown boy...

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I think all the moves they are making now is banking on the 3rd OA to be a stud. And then they'll make a push with Gaudreau, Jenner, Laine, the 3rd OA, Johnson, Sillinger, Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Boqvist. And Coach Babcock. It is not a bad bet. They are sick of being bad lol. 

That is a roster with high end skill and a good mix of vets and younger up and comers, not including their 3rd overall pick!  If Merzlikins can find his game again, they could be the most improved team when all is said and done next season.

19 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

That is a roster with high end skill and a good mix of vets and younger up and comers, not including their 3rd overall pick!  If Merzlikins can find his game again, they could be the most improved team when all is said and done next season.

I think it could go either way. I like Werenski, but all the other D can struggle defensively.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I think it could go either way. I like Werenski, but all the other D can struggle defensively.

It will come down to goaltending and the team's structure. Babcock should be able to work with that D. It is strong on paper and I would choose that group over ours for sure. Size, skating, offensive/defensive pairings. 

Werenski Severson

Provorov Peeke

Gudbranson Boqvist

Bean Jiricek

In terms of our lackluster D, I am looking forward to seeing what Hronek is and am hoping OEL has a great offseason and can regain some confidence.

Edited by KirkSave

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What about making contracts more realistic? 4 years at market value for a top D, then add 4 years at a lower fee thus accounting for age? 

4 x 8

then 4 x 5.5

Yeah much more fair, these contracts are handcuffing teams so badly. CBJ probably knew that anyway but when their kids up front are in their primes, Severson is going to be a 6M anchor in his mid 30s.

• Cheers 1

On 6/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, Quantum said:

COLUMBUS TAKING ALLVIN'S STEAM AND I LOVE TO SEE IT.

Again, the Canucks are saved from signing another albatross contract on defense.

The best teams don't make waves during Free Agency.

Hmmm.   Who's in the final right now?  And what sort of "waves" did they make in free agency?  As in how many free agents did they sign in their current lineup.   Can think of a couple big waves on both teams.   A few years into their deals too.   Bobrovsky and AP.   Both, vital positions.    If you want to look at COL, that might be fun too.   Or TB, even if they were their own free agents.    Fact is, teams often need to plug holes.    We will have to dip into that well at some point too. 

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What about making contracts more realistic? 4 years at market value for a top D, then add 4 years at a lower fee thus accounting for age? 

4 x 8

then 4 x 5.5

And what does that equal out to?  Think they kind of factor all that into the equation.    Severson at 6.25 x 8 evens out in the end.    Signing for term lowers the overall cap hit.      With expected pain at the end for sure, even with cap going up.   Sometimes it's also about rewarding past production like it was for Burrows and Bieksa for us (going by cap percentages).    Thing that gets me is players gets too much for second contract money before proving much of anything, AND UFAs getting the same slice of pie they've always got. 

Edited by IBatch

On 6/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure if he needs to rebuild his confidence after being asked to do too much last year on an injury-depleted team. Stylistically, he fits well on any of our pairings, and specifically with Hughes. If he clicks with Huggy, that contract will be amazing for us. If he ends up replacing Myers on the third pair next year, that’s not a terrible worst case scenario.

Especially given the cap space created, this seems like an ideal hockey trade for both teams.  Wonder if we’d need to add a pick to balance the cap space, or positional premium for a RD.

Why on earth would Columbus want Garland though? Columbus doesn't have extra cap space for a tiny winger who doesn't PK.

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Why on earth would Columbus want Garland though? Columbus doesn't have extra cap space for a tiny winger who doesn't PK.

1. Babcock likes veterans. They have two vet wingers.

2. They don’t have a consistent play-driving 2C, so a top 6 winger with Garland’s 5 on 5 production may be appealing

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm.   Who's in the final right now?  And what sort of "waves" did they make in free agency?  As in how many free agents did they sign in their current lineup.   Can think of a couple big waves on both teams.   A few years into their deals too.   Bobrovsky and AP.   Both, vital positions.    If you want to look at COL, that might be fun too.   Or TB, even if they were their own free agents.    Fact is, teams often need to plug holes.    We will have to dip into that well at some point too. 

Difference is those guys are the elite at their position. Severson not so much.

• There it is 1

52 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

2. They don’t have a consistent play-driving 2C, so a top 6 winger with Garland’s 5 on 5 production may be appealing

Yeah they don't have lots of veterans. But they do have Gaudreau, Laine, and they have Johnson and Sillinger, Foudy, and Marchenko. Would be nice if they took him but that would be a really weird move.

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah they don't have lots of veterans. But they do have Gaudreau, Laine, and they have Johnson and Sillinger, Foudy, and Marchenko. Would be nice if they took him but that would be a really weird move.

Not when you consider Garland and Gaudreau could share a seat on the team jet

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

by that logic, why would Van want to move him then?