The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) CBJ signs Severson

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I feel like they're about to break out like NJD.

Agreed, from bottom feeder to playoff bound, maybe even contender if their coaching takes them there. They have the pieces in place on paper, it's all about coaching and execution now.

Top offensive stars.

A great top 4 defence.

A goalie who can get hot.

They're just missing some good defensive forwards really but Roslovic certainly isn't bad defensively.

Good on them, that's how you retool on the fly or crash rebuild  

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do that trade 1-for-1, it'd suck to lose Garland, but if Peeke can play top 4 RHD minutes and do well, at $2.75M, it'd be very good value.  We'd also save $2.2M in cap space. 

I could also justify keeping Myers for his last year on the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Peeke

OEL-Hronek

____-Myers

Not sure if he needs to rebuild his confidence after being asked to do too much last year on an injury-depleted team. Stylistically, he fits well on any of our pairings, and specifically with Hughes. If he clicks with Huggy, that contract will be amazing for us. If he ends up replacing Myers on the third pair next year, that’s not a terrible worst case scenario.

Especially given the cap space created, this seems like an ideal hockey trade for both teams.  Wonder if we’d need to add a pick to balance the cap space, or positional premium for a RD.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, from bottom feeder to playoff bound, maybe even contender if their coaching takes them there. They have the pieces in place on paper, it's all about coaching and execution now.

Top offensive stars.

A great top 4 defence.

A goalie who can get hot.

They're just missing some good defensive forwards really but Roslovic certainly isn't bad defensively.

Good on them, that's how you retool on the fly or crash rebuild  

A lot of younger players might take another year or two to cement themselves.  They will definitely be better next year because they are likely much more healthier too. They were one of the most injured teams last year. They were for the first half of the year. 

Their next priority should be shoring up the bottom 6. 

Portzline doesn't see Peeke as top-4 material - he was saying that CBJ only had Werenski as top-4 after not being able to extend Gavrikov.  Gudbranson was acquired in part to also protect their young players / drop the gloves as they didn't like the liberties some teams were taking with them.  New coach so who knows if he's a lineup regular.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Portzline doesn't see Peeke as top-4 material - he was saying that CBJ only had Werenski as top-4 after not being able to extend Gavrikov.  Gudbranson was acquired in part to also protect their young players / drop the gloves as they didn't like the liberties some teams were taking with them.  New coach so who knows if he's a lineup regular.

Peeke would be a Bear replacement in the bottom pair and slot in the Top 4 if injuries occur, he's still only 25 too so improvement in his game isn't outside the realm of possibilities too. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, mll said:

Yeah, looking at Peeke as a complimentary shutdown partner, not someone who’s carrying a pair. Similar to how Schenn, Juulsen and Bear worked well with Hughes.

• Cheers 1

lol i don't even want to know what Hronek will demand after seeing what severson just got.. severson was essentially playing 3rd pairing sheltered minutes in NJD all season.. if he gets that with max years? hronek will be looking at the very minimum hughes cap

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would guess no. IMO Jiricek is one of the best prospects not currently in the NHL. I think that trade starts with 2 firsts, but I'm just some guy who has no idea what he's talking about.

Tbh I’d do that. Getting Hughes his partner for the next 10-15 years would be worth it on that aspect alone. 

Edited by Pears
  • Upvote 1

If they don't like Peeke, I don't mind taking him off their hands. Guy played 21 minutes a game last season, 38% ozone starts. He almost had 200 blocks. Yes, 197 BLOCKS. That's frickin' insane. Tanev at the height of his defensive powers wasn't blocking that much. Lol. That's on top of adding 180 hits. If we loved Schenn, we'd love Peeke. Slap him next to Hughes, Hronek and OEL. Starting to not hate our blueline. At the very least, if he doesn't work out on the top pair he's a great 3rd pair guy that can PK.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Peeke would be a Bear replacement in the bottom pair and slot in the Top 4 if injuries occur, he's still only 25 too so improvement in his game isn't outside the realm of possibilities too. 

CBJ also a tire fire and so many injuries.  They used 15 Ds last season and also 6 goalies and 26 forwards.  IE over 2x a normal roster at each position.  Lots of inexperience with players put in positions they weren't ready for.  

• Cheers 1

Looks like Peeke 100% will be traded.  He has a great cap hit and is only 25.  He is an upgrade on Bear and Juulsen and Myers, and should easily be able to play with Hughes in a complimentary role and be on the first unit PK.  He is also used to playing over 20 minutes a night.

Sounds like he is not in their plans now, so he should be easily attainable...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i don't even want to know what Hronek will demand after seeing what severson just got.. severson was essentially playing 3rd pairing sheltered minutes in NJD all season.. if he gets that with max years? hronek will be looking at the very minimum hughes cap

2nd pair, UFA aged D are pretty much $4-7.5ish million now depending on skill set (defensive guys tend to get paid less), ability etc.

Given that Hronek is probably a 2B/3A D, he'll be on the high end of that, to low end first pair (~$7.5-$12m) dollars depending on contract length, how he performs this year etc, etc given that whatever his extension is, will only have one RFA year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

That and bringing him in would presumably have us move one of Boeser, Garland, or Beauvillier out which would result in cap savings

It'd also allow us to walk away from or trade Bear, resulting in further cap savings, and free up a roster spot for a cheaper player in Hoglander

It's something management should be exploring if Peeke suddenly looks expendable 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

2nd pair, UFA aged D are pretty much $4-7.5ish million now depending on skill set (defensive guys tend to get paid less), ability etc.

Given that Hronek is probably a 2B/3A D, he'll be on the high end of that, to low end first pair (~$7.5-$12m) dollars depending on contract length, how he performs this year etc, etc given that whatever his extension is, will only have one RFA year.

i'm going to assume 1a is your top defenseman and ur 2a is your 3rd best defenseman.. so hronek all of a sudden is probabaly the 4th or 5th best defenceman on a team at best?? what happened to he's a legit top pairing defenceman? my guess is he's going to ask for minimum hughes money thx to the severson signing and he can prolly play hard ball with the canucks if he wants given he'll be the #2 defenceman on the team and how much they gave up for him.

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm going to assume 1a is your top defenseman and ur 2a is your 3rd best defenseman.. so hronek all of a sudden is probabaly the 4th or 5th best defenceman on a team at best?? what happened to he's a legit top pairing defenceman? my guess is he's going to ask for minimum hughes money thx to the severson signing and he can prolly play hard ball with the canucks if he wants given he'll be the #2 defenceman on the team and how much they gave up for him.

1A is a Hedman or Shea Weber. Guy that does everything at an elite level. 1B would be a guy like Hughes (REALLY good player but lacks the size to be a true 1A).

Has nothing to do with what team they're on, or their team's respective depth chart. Hughes is still a 1B even if we went to Tampa and played with Hedman. They'd just have a 1B (Hughes) and a 1A (Hedman). Hronek is probably, easily, our 2nd best D (hopefully OEL gets healthy and is in the running as well).

Hronek (IMO) is a 2B/3A (and young enough that he could certainly still improve to a solid 2B...maybe even 2A). A guy that can complement a better D on a first pair or be the guy running a 2nd pair.

In other words, he's either an decent #2, first pair defenseman or a really good #3, second pair defenseman. That would put him on a lower first pair/high end second pair D pay scale for UFA years. AKA probably right around the $7-$7.5m mark +/-.

Severson's money isn't really out of line. He's solidly in 2nd pair D territory...probably a 3A/B. Hence making $6.25 instead of $7+ in UFA years. That isn't out of line or fuel for anyone, Hronek or otherwise, to play "hard ball" with.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

What assumptions? Rick Dhaliwal literally reported last week that the Canucks were trying to clear cap space so they could trade for Damon Severson.

I guess I don’t give them credit often. Maybe there were tossing around the idea. Or that it was a possibility.