The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

As much as this sucks, we now have cap space to make other moves and trades.

Going to be an interesting summer.

Maybe Canucks can reunite Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews as part of the Canucks :towel:

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If Benning said to them pick a contending team so they win a Cup, they would have left

So you are like a close personal friend or related?

Inside info here, or is it just you guessing?

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I hope we aren’t going to do that.

i think Projecting OEL in our line up for his contract was rough. Especially the message it sent to others. It was kinda tough either way.

so hope they plan to replace him with cheaper players and not to replace with an overpaid UFA LETS HOPE

PATIENCE! They said. 

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

As much as this sucks, we now have cap space to make other moves and trades.

At least Jim Benning isn't the GM anymore.  He was at his best when he had no cap space to work with.  As soon as he did have the cap space, you started to see contract like LE, OEL, and even Gudbranson.  Among the worst pro scouting in franchise history.  JT Miller prevents it from being the worst.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

28 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So you guaranteeing we getting Makar level of player on an elc? 

Kinda like how you're guaranteeing we get equal or better value from a replacement top 4 LHD capable of playing 20+ min a night? While also costing $5M or less AAV.

• Vintage 1

Just now, hammertime said:

PATIENCE! They said. 

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

We could just trade Petey, Demko, Bughes, Hronek, Miller and do a deep diving rebuild for 7 years and hope the players we draft during that time can be as good as the core we currently have instead. 

23 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Most teams have overpaid (or bad ) contracts. What's unique about OEL is that it's still 4 more years, he's redundant, and there's no defensive prospect that can play in the Top 4 to shelter OEL. 

Also Johnson was like a +20 in his cup winning season. OEL was like -20 

Erik Johnson had multiple years left as well when the Avs were a powerhouse.  

+/- is no indicator of how good a player is.  It tells us how good a team's defence is.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Absolutely ambushed by this news. I must confess that I pooh-poohed the idea that Aquilini would ever agree to pay a player $20M to not play for Vancouver. Mea culpa.

Me too. Very happy I was wrong. Thank you Aquilini. Now sign off if the dumperoo of Myers and Garland and cleanse the Benning stain.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

At least Jim Benning isn't the GM anymore.  He was at his best when he had no cap space to work with.  As soon as he did have the cap space, you started to see contract like LE, OEL, and even Gudbranson.  Among the worst pro scouting in franchise history.  JT Miller prevents it from being the worst.

JT Miller was a win but does it rescue his regime from being the worst pro scouting in franchise history?  Who was worse in the final analysis?

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I've been watching a lot of hockey for a lot of years.  Whatever the effects of a Sedin trade would have been, if they could even have been convinced to waive their NMCs that they earned...I kind of doubt it would have added up to more than the memory of seeing the Oilers line their team up to shake their hands after their final games in the NHL as Canucks.

1st round picks can bust.  We've Jason Hertered and Hunter Shinkaruked and Nicklas Jensened that plenty of times.  Who knows if any team would have been able to take on both of them under any circumstances, and if they were going to be split up for trades, well why on earth would they waive their NMCs for that.

I'm glad I got to see Linden retire as a Canuck.  I'm glad I got to see the Sedins retire as Canucks.  Same with Smyl.  There is a cost to it when McLean, Brodeur, Lidster, Edler etc. don't get to retire in the jersey and skate their final lap in front of fans of who know what their career really meant.  There is a balance.  You can't do it for every player.  But sometimes it's worth it.

I strongly doubt Sedin trades were on the table, as mentioned, but yeah sometimes it's worth letting things ride. 

Our only Art Ross winners, Hart and Ted Lindsay, lead the franchise in several offensive categories and hold many franchise records. If we'd won game seven they'd be triple gold. Two of three Canucks to ever play 1k+ games as a Canuck alongside Linden, donated 1.5M of their own money on top of helping raise millions of dollars for Canucks for kids over the years, pillars in the community and seemingly selfless in their willingness to give and contribute. 

I get that it's a business, I'm probably more ruthless about willing to move players out than many around here, but what they did here was special and I'm glad I got to see almost all of it. Almost every franchise has it's legends, I'm glad they're two of ours. I know this franchise hasn't had a ton to celebrate over the years and some folks dump on them to this day, but outside of maybe Linden I can't think of two better players and people to have represented the Canucks. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Erik Johnson had multiple years left as well when the Avs were a powerhouse.  

+/- is no indicator of how good a player is.  It tells us how good a team's defence is.

So I guess +/- is only relevant when its used to bash a player from the Leafs :P

• Haha 1