The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is no one talking about the missing submarine?

Nucklehead22

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is a lot to learn about respect for the Titanic dead, the ocean, the lives of the passengers.

Lastly, the media could be a bit more respectful. :picard:

NewsNation.

I don’t really find it disrespectful. Experts provided that estimation. Perhaps it’s a bit eerie considering it’s a countdown to their potential demise, but that’s the sort of reality rescuers as well as the people on board were presumed to have had and were facing at that time. Putting up a countdown just shows the viewers where exactly they are at in an ongoing situation.

What I find absolutely disrespectful and reprehensible are the various amounts of memes and the general lack of empathy for these individuals. Perhaps resenting the fact that they are billionaires, but that doesn’t change the fact they are still human beings with loved ones.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I mean people process grief differently. He’s smiling for a picture. I doubt that’s how he’s really feeling inside.

Or you may be right. Who knows I guess. 

It’s just a guess so take it with a grain of salt. Either way it’s probably the last thing I would put out publicly given the circumstances. 

Personally I don’t really hate people IDK. I don’t have enemies. But I’ll judge his actions and his present self given the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I don’t really find it disrespectful. Experts provided that estimation. Perhaps it’s a bit eerie considering it’s a countdown to their potential demise, but that’s the sort of reality rescuers as well as the people on board were presumed to have had and were facing at that time. Putting up a countdown just shows the viewers where exactly they are at in an ongoing situation.

They could have froze to death, apparently there were air scrubbers to deal with condensation to prevent frost buildup. But if it lost power ?  or they could have been been pulverized before running out of air to breath ? Or both ? 

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What I find absolutely disrespectful and reprehensible are the various amounts of memes and the general lack of empathy for these individuals. Perhaps resenting the fact that they are billionaires, but that doesn’t change the fact they are still human beings with loved ones.

I guess I just have my doubts they were trying to inform rather than being sensationalist. It looks like the countdown timer we see every year when the ball is about to drop in Time's Square on New Year's Eve.

As for the disrespect being shown the dead. They knew what they were getting into and accepted the risk. No different than a freestyle mountain climber or someone foolish enough to sick their head in a tiger's mouth. Yes they are all human beings but they took a risk and it didn't pan out.

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How about a billionaire father....looks at Rogers Arena.:ph34r:

If I somehow become a billionaire I’d be damn sure my offspring have a hardworking and appreciative mentality.  Even if I have to combat the two grandmas rightfully wanting to spoil. 

I’d want to see the plastic islands in the oceans gone before my, if not my kids(who’d I’d set to carry forward), lifetime. 

But I am not a billionaire…. yet…. never say never….

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I can’t fathom why one would risk his progeny’s life along with his own. 

Guess he didn’t have the evolutionary instincts in ensuring one’s spawn survival. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/titanic-submersible-shahwood-suleman-family-tragedy-rcna90678

He didn't want to go, but went to please his dad. Father's day. 

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Anyways let’s call it like it is. Stockton Rush or whatever his name is.. is a quadruple murderer.

I wouldn't go that far. He was in it too. It was an experimental craft, and they all signed waivers and even paid to go. He's a risk taker and bit reckless according to the whistle blowers that said the craft wasn't sound.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I mean people process grief differently. He’s smiling for a picture. I doubt that’s how he’s really feeling inside.

Or you may be right. Who knows I guess. 

I'm not judging him for going to the concert, but I'm judging for the social media posts about going.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I couldn't go that far. He was in it too. It was an experimental craft, and they all signed waivers and even paid to go. He's a risk taker and bit reckless according to the whistle blowers that said the craft wasn't sound.  

While respecting the “bottom line” not a good choice of words. Literally and figuratively. 

Take it FWIW, but CNN had an expert on Anderson Cooper’s show.....she said the implosion would have happened at 1500 MPH. In her words, a fraction of a millisecond.

She told AC that the human brain takes roughly twice that to process something like that.

They were literally dead before they knew it.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Take it FWIW, but CNN had an expert on Anderson Cooper’s show.....she said the implosion would have happened at 1500 MPH. In her words, a fraction of a millisecond.

She told AC that the human brain takes roughly twice that to process something like that.

They were literally dead before they knew it.....

I did a little math,

Pressure exerted at 12,000 ft below the surface= 5,500 psi. 

Approximate surface area of Titan’s sealed chamber;

length = 16’

diameter = 8.3 ‘

circumference; C = 3.14 x 8.3’

circumference = 26.06’

length x circumference = area

16’ x 26.06’ = 417 sq feet

417 x 144 = 60,047 sq. Inches.

Result;

Titan had an approximate chamber surface area of 60,047.0 sq inches. 

5,500 pounds force was exerted on each and every sq. Inch while that chamber was intact. 

The total approximate pressure exerted on that structure was 330, 257,664 pounds force ! That’s 330.25 million pounds pressing in on that chamber at all times . 
 In the thousands of a second when the hull initially began to fail it would be like a 330 million pound stone was dropped on it until the pressures outside the chamber and inside the chamber equalized. It would happen so fast you would never know what hit you or that you had even been hit. 

To put that in perspective, that’s 165,128 tons. When empty, the ship Edmund Fitzgerald weighed a paltry 13,632 tons. 

Note: dimensions and pressures used in calculation are all approximate. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chon derry said:

The whole story is stupid and highly disrespectful from all five people. Both the Edmond Fiztgerald and the  titanic are both considered grave yards. It would be comparable to commiting suicide by blowing yourself up in the middle of Arlington cemetery. Things you just don’t do. Sorry not sorry. 

That's not a great analogy, sorry.

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If I somehow become a billionaire I’d be damn sure my offspring have a hardworking and appreciative mentality.  Even if I have to combat the two grandmas rightfully wanting to spoil. 

I’d want to see the plastic islands in the oceans gone before my, if not my kids(who’d I’d set to carry forward), lifetime. 

But I am not a billionaire…. yet…. never say never….

It's kind of telling. The ones who deserve to be billionaires (by that, I mean they are good people, worked hard, and are willing to give a lot back) aren't billionaires. The ones who don't deserve to be are. There's so much good that can be done without giving away all their wealth. It's their money after all. It's just the amount of hoarding and the fact that they force people to pay for their shit is garbage.

See bailouts - exhibit A.

See taxpayer funded arenas.

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's not a great analogy, sorry.

Darren Muljo's grandfather, Ransom "Ray″ Cundy, was a watchman aboard the SS Edmund Fitzgerald when it went down during a Nov. 10, 1975, storm on Lake Superior.

And it was his mother, Cheryl Rozman, who has since passed away, who helped pressure the Ontario government to make the site mostly off limits and preserve it as a grave for the 29 lives lost.

"The families wanted to have it declared a gravesite," to protect it against commercialization with strict limitations for only "legitimate archeological, scientific or law enforcement purposes," said Muljo, who was five when he last saw his grandpa at the docks in Duluth, Minn., in the summer of '75.

An amendment to the Ontario Heritage Act in 2006 severely limited access to the remains of the ship, which was immortalized in Gordon Lightfoot's hit song The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald.

But that's not the case for the resting site of the RMS Titanic, where researchers, explorers and tourists (for a hefty price) have made numerous trips — raising some controversy over whether such visits to an area also deemed a gravesite are proper

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1